PDA

View Full Version : Starfish for 45(ish) gallon tank?

Joyride
08-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm thinking that I'd like to have a starfish, but I've heard they need some tank real estate to survive and thrive.

I've got a 24x24x18 tank that holds about 45 gallons, but after the LR, sand, etc., it holds about 30-35 gallons.

I've got about 50lbs of live rock and a 2-3 inches of sand for substrate.

My current inhabitants are a number of zoas, some Xenia, a frogspawn, and a georgian. I've also got a pretty good sized anemone in there as well. Fish-wise, I've got a lawnmower blenny, a watchman goby, a pistol shrimp, and a clownfish.

Any recommendations for a starfish that would work in this environment?

Thanks in advance,
-Chris

Phurst
08-02-2008, 08:26 PM
A brittle or serpent star should do OK in there, particularly if you make sure it gets a little meaty food from time to time.

Joyride
08-02-2008, 09:09 PM
What's the best way to target feed these guys? I've got one of those extendable feeding tubes that has the barb on the end for spot-feeding table shrimp, and the like. My concern is that the crabs I have in the tank are usually all over a piece of shrimp if they get a chance. Can a serpent or brittle star compete with them?

Thanks,
-Chris

Phurst
08-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Absolutely. I had a serpent that would come out when I fed the rest of the tank. Once he was out, I'd just give him a piece of table shrimp or part of a silverside and he had no problems at all fending off everyone else to eat it.

Amphibious
08-03-2008, 04:33 AM
Yup, what he said. :thumbs: