PDA

View Full Version : Housing SPS ?'s

PSEYE
07-19-2008, 09:58 PM
If anyone can answer these questions, it will be greatly appreciated.

1. I'm wondering if I can sufficiently support SPS in a 12" Tall x 24" wide 40 gallon tank
lighting - 1x250watt DE HQI MH Hamilton 14k ~6.25watts per gallon (which ive heard is a horrible way to rate lighting) So, my question is, how do you rate the lighting? I currently keep the 250watt HQI lamp 8" above the surface of my tank...which would imply that the bottom of my tank is 20" away from the lamp itself.

2. I'm hearing mixed information about keeping toadstool leathers and yellow fiji leathers with SPS corals due to chemicals being release from the two. Is there any truth to this?

I'm eagerly awaiting an intelligent response to my inquiries.

Phurst
07-19-2008, 10:58 PM
a 250 HQI should be plenty on that tank.

Leathers in particular can stunt the growth of SPS. You certainly could keep them in the same tank, particularly if you run carbon, just be aware that it's not the BEST situation, particularly in a tank that size.

PSEYE
07-19-2008, 11:47 PM
a 250 HQI should be plenty on that tank.

Leathers in particular can stunt the growth of SPS. You certainly could keep them in the same tank, particularly if you run carbon, just be aware that it's not the BEST situation, particularly in a tank that size.

I love the leathers, but I had a recent epiphany that I wanted to re-stock my tank with SPS alone. My gf has a 24gallon aquapod that she keeps really well, so I'll probably end up giving the two leathers to her.

I thank you for the advice, very appreciative.

Derrick

Amphibious
07-19-2008, 11:56 PM
We use a PAR (photosynthetic active radiation) reading. It's the important portion of the light spectrum given off by various bulbs. Each bulb having a different PAR measurement. I'm not highly versed in PAR so, hopefully someone else will chime in. I happen to have a PAR meter for testing the bulbs I use. I have found the PFO Solaris LED lights have a high PAR while burning a lot less energy than any other bulb so, that's what I use.

Mixing leathers with SPS corals is not a problem as long as you keep them apart. How far??? Well I have an Acropora Loisetta about 3" away from my Neon Green Sarcophyton with out problems. I think you do not want them to touch, that's for sure.

I hope this helped answer your questions.

Dick

PSEYE
07-20-2008, 12:12 AM
We use a PAR (photosynthetic active radiation) reading. It's the important portion of the light spectrum given off by various bulbs. Each bulb having a different PAR measurement. I'm not highly versed in PAR so, hopefully someone else will chime in. I happen to have a PAR meter for testing the bulbs I use. I have found the PFO Solaris LED lights have a high PAR while burning a lot less energy than any other bulb so, that's what I use.

Mixing leathers with SPS corals is not a problem as long as you keep them apart. How far??? Well I have an Acropora Loisetta about 3" away from my Neon Green Sarcophyton with out problems. I think you do not want them to touch, that's for sure.

I hope this helped answer your questions.

Dick

Partially, yes, I was concerned also about my tank height and the light I am running. I just wanted to make sure it was sufficient to keep SPS. Thank you for your quick reply and advice!

Amphibious
07-20-2008, 12:17 AM
I think your light is going to be plenty sufficient.

lReef lKeeper
07-21-2008, 07:02 PM
i agree with Dick, your lighting will be fine for SPS and USUALLY you would want any SOFT coral DOWNflow from your SPS.