PDA

View Full Version : Broken Center Support on 75g Tank

Kris
11-14-2005, 01:28 PM
I have a 75 gallon glass tank that has a plastic support that wraps around the perimeter of the tank and a plastic piece that crosses in the middle of the tank. This middle piece helps support the glass tops that came with the tank. This type of support is found on almost every 75 gallon rectangular glass tank I've seen. Anyway, while moving a friend of mine put something on top of the tank and snapped the middle plastic piece in the center. The break is clean and could be easily glued.
Is this a detrimental part for supporting the structure of the tank or is it merely to support the two glass tops? Can I just glue it back together? Perhaps I can cut a piece of acrylic to fit underneath the support and glue it in place to provide more structure?
I have already replace the tank with a new one, but I am wondering what the possibilities are with this one.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kris

Rob
11-14-2005, 03:10 PM
this center brace brace is important for the integrety of the tank, without it, the glass may bow, or even break.

Option:
replace, or have replaced, the whole perimeter pice, including the ceter brace. if you are familiar with proper plastic bonding techniques, you may be able to re-"bond" (not glue) the brace.. bonding would invlove using a proper bonding agent that ywould actually ment the plactic back to one piece. (i would not recommend this unless you know exactly what youa re doing. it may not be stong enough, and personally i wouldnt take the chance)

you second otion would be use the tank as a sump, or fuge. you could add acrylic baffles (which may help the integrity) and then you wouldnt be filling the whole tank up with water, so it shoudl be able to suppor the lower volume. this would be a good place fr skimmers, heaters and such..

again.. my "official recomendation is that if you are going to use the tank as it was intended you should have it proffesionally repaired.... sorry, but thats my disclaimer... :)

clownfish4me
10-03-2007, 06:09 AM
they make a two part epoxy that will weld the two pieces back together and hold like the original brace. the brace is definitely needed. it will bow bad. i like robs idea of adding baffles and using it as a sump...:)