PDA

View Full Version : skimmer help

tdanks
06-25-2008, 07:16 PM
hey everyone I am having some problems with my ASM G2 skimmer I used some of that red slime away stuff and my skimmer went crazy. It filled my 75 gallon with small bubles I know that this can happening. So I unplugged the skimmer for three days to let the stuff work and then did a 10 gallon water change. I plugged in the skimmer and it still is putting to many bubbles in to use so I did another 15 gallon and I am still having this problem. Has anyone ever had a issue like this or have any advice?

CarmieJo
06-25-2008, 08:12 PM
The red slime removers are antibiotics so you probably have a lot of dead stuff (mostly micro size) suspended in the water and the skimmer is trying to do its job and remove it. Are you running carbon?

tdanks
06-25-2008, 08:17 PM
yeah I am running carbon in the sump the big problem is that when I turn on the skimmer the whole sump fills with bubbles and then they get pushed into the tank. I did another water change so I am going to let that run the night and try it again tomorrow. I am about to teat it down and go nano lol.

CarmieJo
06-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Do you have any cheato? I have a 2L bottle of cheato that I run my skimmer effluent into. I don't know if it would work in your situation but does a beautiful job of trapping your everyday run of the mill microbubbles.

bbl_nk
06-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Carmie...Do you have a pic or diagram of your 2L chaeto setup? I heard you mention it before and am curious what it looks like.

Brian

tdanks
06-26-2008, 08:27 AM
No I don't have any chaeto I will have to give that a try how do you have it set up

CarmieJo
06-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Take your basic 2L pop bottle, remove the label and rinse it out. Cut enough of the top off that your skimmer return lines will fit inside of it but that some of the curve remains. Cut one or two 1/8" wide x a few inches long slits about 3" up from the bottom.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/CarmieJo/DSC_4343.jpg

Stick this in your sump with some cheato in it. A little ball will be all you need to get started. My skimmer sits outside of my sump but however yours is arranged put the skimmer return lines into the top of the bottle. The water goes into the bottle and through the cheato which tends to trap the bubbles. It your pump pushes more water than the slits will handle (as is likely) it will just overflow the top of the bottle and back into your sump. But the water will have passed through the cheato trapping bubbles plus it has to travel back up the curve of the bottle trapping more bubbles and I never see micro bubbles in my DT.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/CarmieJo/DSC_4341.jpg

tdanks
06-27-2008, 06:45 AM
Carmie you rock thanks a million

CarmieJo
06-28-2008, 10:06 AM
It's pretty seat of the pants but it works.:) Let me know if you need some cheato, I've got plenty.

tdanks
06-28-2008, 10:11 AM
thanks I might just have to get up with you on that I am moving my tank this week to Garner I am really dreading it

tdanks
06-28-2008, 02:41 PM
I did another 18 gallon water change today and nothing still tons of bubbles my return nozzles look like there is smoke coming out of them

CarmieJo
06-28-2008, 11:14 PM
I am out of town this week but I be back on the 7th. I go through Garner almost every day.

tdanks
06-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Nice I might need you to come over and give me some advice I am going crazy