PDA

View Full Version : New fish eating right?

Mits
06-12-2008, 08:13 PM
I've had lots of fish for the past 4 years, but none have acted like my new little ocellaris clown. I put him in my nano the other day and when he goes for food he spits it right back out. Every fish I've had has either eaten right away or was disinterested for a while. I even added garlic extract today, and he was more enthusiastic but he just spit it out anyway. Will he get over this once he gets used to his new home?

BrianG
06-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Does he spit it out and then eat it again?
If so from what I know that is pretty normal. It is like taking bites. My 2 Percula clowns do the same thing.

Mits
06-12-2008, 08:34 PM
He spits it out once and lets it drop. Once he went back to the same item twice. I've tried both frozen and flake, he does the same thing with both.

BrianG
06-12-2008, 08:39 PM
I would just keep trying and add the garlic extract like you are. He might just be adjusting to the tank still and to what you are feeding him.

Do you know what he was eating at the store? What type of food are you giving him?

Mits
06-12-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't know what they feed at the store, but I'm trying frozen mysis shrimp and prime reef flake.

BrianG
06-12-2008, 10:05 PM
That is fine for now just give it a couple of more days, and keep using the garlic. As long as he tries to eat the food you should be ok.

PhotoJohn
06-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Try some live brine

Amphibious
06-13-2008, 10:13 AM
YOU SHOULD ALWAYS ASK THE LFS TO FEED THE FISH YOU ARE LOOKING TO BUY. EXCEPT NO EXCUSES!!! IF IT DOESN'T EAT - DON'T BUY IT!!!

Dick

Seahorsedreams
06-13-2008, 01:41 PM
My volitan does the spit thing on occasion.... it means he's not in the mood for what I'm offering and wants something else.

Mits
06-13-2008, 07:49 PM
YOU SHOULD ALWAYS ASK THE LFS TO FEED THE FISH YOU ARE LOOKING TO BUY. EXCEPT NO EXCUSES!!! IF IT DOESN'T EAT - DON'T BUY IT!!!

Dick

I thought about that, but there were so many in that tank that I figured we wouldn't be able to tell which ones were eating vs. not eating when going to grab one. He actually grabbed a different one than I asked for, but I've never been one to be demanding in a store. I probably should learn that skill.

Amphibious
06-14-2008, 08:51 AM
You must learn that skill. You are paying money, you should get what you want. If you pay a car dealer for a Cady you wouldn't take delivery of a Chevy, would you? It's your money, it's your choice. Insist on seeing them eat, then insist on a particular one. I do it all the time (every time) and I have not heard one complaint from the LFS when I pay out my money. It's their job to serve us!

Dick

CarmieJo
06-14-2008, 04:21 PM
I generally don't feel live brine but it can be good for getting picky eaters to start eating. I also agree with always asking to see the fish eat!

CarmieJo
06-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Mits, I am not sure that I already said :welcome: to TR but in case I didn't :welcome:!

Skurvey Dog
07-17-2008, 08:07 PM
I've never been one to be demanding in a store. I probably should learn that skill

LOL I must be an extremist! :D When I purchased my pair of clowns, I was h#@* bent on "Those two in that reef tank over there with all that LR. Yes sir, I do see that you have 10 other clowns in that tank right there. I want those 2 over there." :rolleyes: After 25 minutes for the LFS to catch one and pleading with me and flat out stating the other couldn't be obtained, I kindly begged him to hand me the net and I proceeded to collect the beautiful specimen myself. Yes, I came home with what I wanted and glad I didn't settle for anything less. Oh where is that happy medium? I can understand your delima with a tank swimming with like fish.