PDA

View Full Version : Picking an RODI. HELP!

keith p
06-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Too many choices.

I have seen 5 stage, 6 stage, double DI, triple DI, UV, Extra carbon, w/ flush, etc... HELP :shout:

What do I need?!? There are a lot of affordable choices on eBay.

Keep in mind I have a nano (for now) & live in a TINY cottage (read: no space).

Phurst
06-10-2008, 04:33 PM
LOL, yes, there are a lot of choices out there. Fortunately, there's no need to go overboard here. A basic 5 stage, single DI filter will do you just fine. Unless your water is particularly crappy, then you may want to consider a dual DI unit. Of course you can always add a second DI stage if you find that you need it. Look for something in the 100GPD catergory. A flush is a nice option, but not necessary strictly speaking. The other thing to look for is a system tat advertises 0 PPM output water. I know most are, but there are some on ebay in particular that give examples like "250 PPM in, 10 PPM out". If you find a couple that you like, feel free to post links and we'll give our opinions on them.

Amphibious
06-10-2008, 06:23 PM
My recommendation is to go to E-bay and buy the 100 gpd unit from Aqua-Safe Systems. I use it and so do many others on TR. At $99 plus shipping I rate it a "Best Buy" in RO/DI units.

It doesn't matter that you only have a Nano. the price difference from 100 gpd to 50 gpd is minimal. You are going to be making water intermittently, why wait longer than necessary.

Here's the link - AQUA-SAFE MAXIMUS II REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER FILTER - eBay (item 160249471211 end time Jun-14-08 19:00:00 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-SAFE-MAXIMUS-II-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-WATER-FILTER_W0QQitemZ160249471211QQihZ006QQcategoryZ206 84QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262)

Check it out.

Dick

poppin_fresh
06-11-2008, 09:21 PM
I would also recommend the Aquasafe unit. I have both the FiltersDirect and Aquasafe and I have always found the latter better for numerous reasons. The largest reason is that it has made near pure water longer, but it also came with better fittings and a much larger DI canister for the same $$.

poppin_fresh
06-11-2008, 09:27 PM
P.S. forgot to mention that if you need help, just ask. I have researched a lot and I currently run a boosted twin 100gpd membrane system with a permeate pump and 6g storage tank, so I have "experienced" many issues and can probably help out.

They are not hard systems to install for even the moderately handy, but the directions usually suck so dont be afraid to ask Q's!

Dragonwolf
06-14-2008, 08:31 AM
For all you reefers concerning RODI---Go to "www.thefilterguys.biz" These guys are the BEST! They will do just about anything you want them to do and they do it well, and CHEAP. Give 'em a call. Ya can't go wrong. No, I'm not part of their biz, they're just that good.

rroselavy
06-14-2008, 07:42 PM
I also have the 100gpd Aquasafe unit. Works well. With my (260ppm) TDS and water pressure, I get about 40g of RODI water per day. Make sure to get a (handheld or in-line) TDS meter so you know when to switch out your cartridges. An auto-shutoff valve for the waste water line is also important if you have the RODI output connected to a float valve. When the float valve closes, the waste water will soon stop flowing.

Like Poppin mentioned, the Aquasafe instructions are not great. They are very verbose but not very clear. The assembly of the unit is actually easy. The piercing of the feed and drain lines is the intimidating part. Fortunately, I set mine up in an unused washer/dryer closet, so I used the existing hose bib and hose drain instead.

The Aquasafe has a DI canister that is oriented horizontally. I noticed after months of use the DI resin will settle. The incoming water can then bypass the resin by flowing over it. I have read that a vertically oriented DI canister is better since water will not be able to bypass settled resin. The Aquasafe instructions recommend that the owner shakes the unit to prevent settling, but I would recommend that you find a way to mount the canister vertically instead.

Lastly, you may want to buy or borrow a pressure gauge to determine your house pressure to see if you need a booster pump.

rroselavy
06-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Apart from the The Filter Guys, other interesting vendors include AWI (http://www.airwaterice.com), Buckeye Field Supply (http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com), and Purely H20 (http://www.purelyh2o.com/). Spectrapure (http://www.spectrapure.com/) is also a dealer with premium systems (some with waster water savers), but their price tags reflect that.

Aquasafe is less expensive than all of these I believe.

bbl_nk
06-21-2008, 05:01 PM
I was able to get a unit free from an ad in my local paper, have to say I lucked out. I did replace all the filters and membranes and found WaterAnywhere to be the BEST prices for membranes. I picked up a 75gpd name brand membrane for about 1/3 of the cost I saw elsewhere (under $30).

WaterAnywhere (http://www.wateranywhere.com/)

tdanks
06-26-2008, 03:31 PM
I am currently using a air,water,and ice system so far it seems to work really good

BuckeyeFieldSupply
09-23-2008, 07:21 AM
Some things to look for in a good system:

Standard-sized prefilters, membrane, and DI cartridge
Brand name, high-rejection membrane
Specifications provided for each stage
Pressure gauge after the prefilters and before the membrane
Thermometer
DI bypass
Vertical DI stage
Refillable DI cartridge
Aluminum bracket
Quick connect fittings
Flush valve
Clear housings
High-quality instructions
Customer support after your purchase

And last but not least, a vendor who understands reefing.

Russ

keith p
09-23-2008, 08:27 AM
I ended up getting a few units from Aqua-Safe, an eBay seller. Good price and everything we needed was included.

I got the TDS meter from Air Wind Ice. Mine broke and I'm still awaiting the replacement... The other two we got work great.

Both companies have excellent customer service!

rroselavy
09-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Russ- Thermometer? Please explain. I've never seen that.

lReef lKeeper
09-23-2008, 10:55 AM
go with buckeye !! they are a great company and stand behind every product that you will ever need for you RO/DI unit. i seriously with that i had gone with them, but back then i didnt know any better ... on my next unit ... IT WILLBE A BUCKEYE UNIT !!

Phurst
09-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Russ- Thermometer? Please explain. I've never seen that.

I've never seen one integrated into a unit either, but i do know temp has a pretty big impact on the rate the water is made. Cold water = slower production. I'm not sure you can do much about it though, so I'm not sure why a thermometer would be necessary.

I trust BFS though and look forward to being enlightened.

rroselavy
09-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Their membranes seem to be rated at 77F, and I can see how temp may be important. I have my RODI (and storage cans) in an outdoor shed in Southern California. I am not sure what the incoming water temps are...

BuckeyeFieldSupply
09-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Two of the most important variables in determining the performance of an RO membrane are the temperature and pressure of the feedwater. We have a calculator on our website for instance http://buckeyefieldsupply.com/calc.asp that allows you to input your pressure and temperature and see what your membrane ought to produce given those conditions.

So when we get calls from folks wondering why their membrane only produces x gallons per day, our first question back to them pertains to the temperature and pressure. You can use this info to determine if the membrane has gone bad, or if its doing as well as can be expected under the conditions.

As far as addressing the effects of low temperature - it can be done but its not really practical. The easiest solution is to compensate for low temps by boosting the pressure with a pump.

Russ

bbl_nk
09-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Russ,

Good advice! Maybe you could start a new thread on RO/DI system maintenance, troublespots and ways to improve what you have on hand (good for people on a budget :) )

BuckeyeFieldSupply
09-24-2008, 04:42 AM
Russ,

Good advice! Maybe you could start a new thread on RO/DI system maintenance, troublespots and ways to improve what you have on hand (good for people on a budget :) )

We can do that!

saltaddict
09-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Has anyone drank any of the water coming out of their systems? Does it taste like bottled water?

My family must drink and cook with filtered water and we have been looking for a home system because we spend a fortune on water for us and the fish.

Does anyone know if any of these systems that you use remove fluoride also?

Thanks in advance.

BuckeyeFieldSupply
09-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Sure. Much of the "filtered water" you buy in bottles at the store is RO water.

You should drink the RO water rather than DI water.

There are fluoride specific filters - we worked with someone a while back who's kid was deathly allergic to flouride.

Russ

saltaddict
09-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Hi - Russ

Does RO water contain Flouride? We currently buy Glacier water which goes through 1 carbon filters, 1 UV sterilizers, 1 micron filter, RO, 1 carbon filter and 1 UV sterilizer. I am hoping you are going to tell me we haven't been getting Flouride in this water.
Can your company help us come up with a system?

Thanks,
Rhonda

Amphibious
09-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Unless you are hyper allergic to fluoride, the RO membrane removes 99.9% of all contaminants (fluoride being a contaminant only in the sense that it was added to the water system) and therefore safe to drink. If you are going to buy a unit for dual purposes, fish and human consumption, get the RO/DI unit for the fish and T off between the two for separate RO source for drinking.

Dick

saltaddict
09-24-2008, 09:39 AM
I have a child on the Autistic Spectrum and the Flouride messes with the neuro sensors in their brains and she does not expel contaminants like most people. We are all also Celiac is why we don't drink tap water because our immune systems are not as great as some. I know that is too much info.

Thanks,
Rhonda

Amphibious
09-24-2008, 09:47 AM
I know that is too much info.

No, that is just enough info. Thank you for sharing. The more we know of each other, the better we can understand and help one another.

Blessings to you.

Dick

keith p
09-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Rhonda, I just googled Celiac . A condition I was not aware of. It gave me a lot to think about...

bbl_nk
09-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Rhonda,

Thank you for sharing and glad you felt comfortable talking about this with us! I hope we can do whatever we can to help where we can. I'd send Russ at Bukeye Field Suppy a PM and maybe set up a consult for your water needs.

saltaddict
09-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Keith,

There are not many people that know what it is - although it is estimated that 1 out of every 105 people have it and don't know it.

It is genetic, both of my parents have, (had), it. I have four children and they all have it as well as myself and my husband - NO WE ARE NOT RELATED! It is deadly if not controlled, the reason for "had" in the above sentence.

Thanks for looking it up and letting me know.
Rhonda

saltaddict
09-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks Brian!

I think everyone should know about Celiac!!
I wouldn't change my little one if I had a choice - she is awesome.

I am just glad to be able to learn more about the water we buy and find people that can help set up a system.

Thanks so much, Rhonda

bbl_nk
09-24-2008, 01:13 PM
No Rhonda, thank you! :)

lReef lKeeper
09-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Rhonda,
you can not go wrong when working with Buckeye Field Supply. I had the chance to meet them at a frag swap in Cincinnati multiple times. they are always more than willing to make others wait while they are taking care of someone else. IMHO, that is one of the things that makes them so good at what they do. they would rather get the RIGHT system to one person, rather than move through the line and sell a ton of systems. keep up the good work Russ, hope to see you guys again in Cinci.

CarmieJo
09-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Rhonda, you can drink DI water but to me it tastes flat.

By the way, my husband has severe food allergies and our son milder ones and I know firsthand all the challenges that dietary restrictions impose.

BuckeyeFieldSupply
09-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Unless you are hyper allergic to fluoride, the RO membrane removes 99.9% of all contaminants (fluoride being a contaminant only in the sense that it was added to the water system).

Typical rejection rates we see reported for flouride are in the range of 85% to 95%

Russ

BuckeyeFieldSupply
09-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Their membranes seem to be rated at 77F, and I can see how temp may be important. I have my RODI (and storage cans) in an outdoor shed in Southern California. I am not sure what the incoming water temps are...

77 degrees F (25 C) is a standard used across all brands of membranes that I'm aware of...

BuckeyeFieldSupply
09-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Hi - Russ

Does RO water contain Flouride? We currently buy Glacier water which goes through 1 carbon filters, 1 UV sterilizers, 1 micron filter, RO, 1 carbon filter and 1 UV sterilizer. I am hoping you are going to tell me we haven't been getting Flouride in this water.
Can your company help us come up with a system?

Thanks,
Rhonda

RO water can contain flouride as the rejection rate for that chemical is not near 100%.

In the system you describe, only the RO would remove the flouride - and that removal is not complete.

We can help you with a system - but I'd like to avoid making a commercial post here. Feel free to contact us directly.

Russ

saltaddict
09-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Hi Russ,

I will email you tomorrow off line.
Thank you so much.

Rhonda

saltaddict
09-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi Carmie,

I feel for you. It can be challenging to eat or drink away from home.

I am so thankful you all have such great info. about everything. I have researced for several years and have not been able to obtain definite info. on the amount of flouride remaining in RO water. Now I have a contact to set up a system to remove the remaining.

I come from a Cardio Research company and now I spend a ton of my time researching food, AS issues and of course my fishie babies and homeschooling.

Best of luck with your dietary challenges.

Thank you,
Rhonda