PDA

View Full Version : Heat problem

keith p
06-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Hey all!

I've been running my open top 12G Aquapod for about 8 months now. I used to have heat issues with the closed canopy. Since going topless it has not been an issue until now...

Keep in mind, I also have a surface scum problem. I think the scum is holding in the heat (is this possible??) I have an in-wall A/C in the same room set to 74°F. The water is still swinging 4° from day to night :madmad:

I was thinking of getting an IceProbe chiller. My thought was to drill a hole near the bottom of the AquaC Remora skimmer and mount it like a bulkhead.

Is this a good plan? Is there another option in the same price range?

I also considered just putting a fan aimed at the water surface..

I will add a fluval surface skimmer this weekend to the skimmer too (I just need to pick it up from my friend's house)

lReef lKeeper
06-06-2008, 04:29 PM
the fan would probably work, but with a small tank you are really going to have to stay on top of the evaporation issue. with evaporative cooling, you are going to lose a lot more water than normal. that will throw the parameters (SpG) out of wack within a couple of hours. to use a fan on a nano, i would HIGHLY suggest an Auto Top Off setup.

keith p
06-06-2008, 04:32 PM
to use a fan on a nano, i would HIGHLY suggest an Auto Top Off setup.

There is a JBJ ATO running on this tank as we speak. Is there any advantage to using a chiller over a simple fan setup?

lReef lKeeper
06-06-2008, 04:35 PM
a chiller would probably cool it down faster, and you would have less evap. than with a fan.

poppin_fresh
06-06-2008, 10:45 PM
I dont know that 4 degrees is a huge concern for a temp swing. A common misconception in the hobby is that in nature a reefs temp, changes very little. This is simply not true. With the constant ocean currents and relatively shallow nature of most reefs means that even in nature, corals see temp swings.

Go diving some time and you will experience water that changes temperature constantly. There are many more traumatic things you can do to a coral than change the temperature a little.

ChicagoReefer
06-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi Keith,

You mentioned that your temperature swings 4 degrees. What is the temperature range that it swings between?

ChicagoReefer

Seahorsedreams
06-07-2008, 01:27 PM
The ice probe would cool that size tank nicely.

CarmieJo
06-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Hello Chicago and :welcome: to TR. I was going to ask that very question. And, presuming the room temp does not swing, what has changed to create the swings?

ChicagoReefer
06-08-2008, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome Carmie!! I feel like I already know you because I have listened to every episode of the podcast. And that obviously goes for Rob and Bobby as well. I look forward to contributing to this awesome community.:mrgreen:

Steve

keith p
06-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Ok. Here is where my OCD is apparent. I have three thermometers. All three read different temps. My starting temp is from 79° (with a coralife digi) to 83° (on the Marina digi). The glass termometer is close to 82°. The temp with the lights on swings up 4°.

I just got a new A/C last night. The old one was too small for the room the tank is in.

Now I'm debating buying the controller for the chiller, or going all out with an Aquacontroller JR.

ChicagoReefer
06-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Hi Keith p,

That is a quite a difference between the thermometers. I have a few more questions that come to mind:

Are all of the temperature probes in the same location in the tank? (With the exception of the glass thermometer.)

Are the temperature probes in the same chamber or near a heater/chiller?

If they are in the same location and away from any heating or cooling devices then that is a surprising difference in temp. Remember that if one of your probes is in the same chamber as your return pump it might be reading some heat from the power head. Another idea would be to pick up a laboratory grade thermometer and check your tank to see which of your aquarium thermometers is most accurate. These lab thermometers are cheap and accurate. You can get them on ebay for under $5.

I hope that this helps.
Steve

keith p
06-10-2008, 09:42 AM
They are all in the same place, just under the main return. Even the glass one. If they matched I wouldn't be so worried :)

I will goto eBay now and purchase a lab grade thermo.

All the thermometers are being given away to local reefers once the AC Jr comes in:D

Jasonanatal
06-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Keith_P, well I apparently have severe OCD but it's always better to be safe then sorry. In my personal opinion it's a tad bit difficult to compare the ocean temperature swings with a Nano Aquarium. Everything in a smaller aquarium must be kept in check since their is no room for even the slightest fluctuations in my opinion, let alone mistakes. I would recommend purchased a chiller. This option would be more efficient in controlling temperature swings and also help with not having your Automatic Freshwater Top Off unit from working overtime. I personally have a 1/10 HP Chiller on my 29 gallon JBJ Nano Cube HQI Reef Aquarium even though the Living Room is cooled by a 15,000 BTU Air Conditioner. If you need any more information just drop me a line or check out my thread "Jasonanatal's 28 gallon JBJ Nano Cube HQI Reef Aquarium". Remember always look for the most efficient way to solve your problems. It will save you a headache in the long run.