PDA

View Full Version : QT'ing Cleaner Shrimp?

Metweezer
06-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Do skunk cleaner shrimp need to be quarantined or just drip acclimated?
Thanks, Steve

CarmieJo
06-01-2008, 11:07 PM
I QT everything.

suep
06-02-2008, 03:46 AM
How do you qt featherdusters? I'd like a couple more but I don't know how to qt them without them sticking to something I don't want them to stick too...?:unsure:

Amphibious
06-03-2008, 09:19 AM
A QT tank should have a few rocks or PVC pipe for new fish to hide in and get comfortable with captivity. When QTing feather dusters those things they might stick to could be taken out. The feather dusters will be fine lying on the sand for a few days.

suep
06-03-2008, 05:55 PM
So, if I add some sand to the quarantine tank (it's bare-bottom now), I can drop a couple dusters in? Won't they try to burrow and stick to the sand? (I'll wait till he current inhabitants move out.)

Right now, I've got some frags and a couple pieces of pipe in the tank. The fish seem happy and I hear the shrimp occasionally. My two gobies often hang out together so I'm pretty sure they'll be willing to share a burrow.

Metweezer
06-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks suep for the hijack :madmad: Why didn't you start your own thread?

suep
06-03-2008, 08:13 PM
I apologize for offending you, it was not intentional. I felt, perhaps unthinkingly, that the topics were closely related and what worked for a duster would be relevant for a shrimp or any other invert.

I will be more careful in the future.

JustDavidP
06-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Sue,

I'd not worry too much. In certain threads, where information is "similar", people are encouraged to participate and add information to the thread. Many times, we find that these discussions evolve into a great "general" resource for people in the future. In that case, we'll make it a "sticky" thread.

The ideas and concepts of "quarantine" are, for the most part, similar for most of the "charges" we keep in our systems. You were not out of line to ask and/or provide information in this thread. I hope others will chime in to add their two cents and make this that much more a valuable source of information.

Steve, Welcome to Talking Reef. Thank you for starting a good little thread here. I look forward to reading more about your adventures and experiences in reef keeping and marine aquaria. if you ever have any questions or concerns about the site, the forums, policies or procedures, please don't hesitate to contact one of our many, talented mods.

Dave

suep
06-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks, JustDavidP, I appreciate it!

I'm hammered today, but I wanted to mention that Anthony Calfo spends several pages on quarantine in his Book of Coral Propagation. (I think that's the exact title, the book is downstairs and I need to run again.) I just bought the book and have been skimming it. I'm quite impressed so far.

Anthony is very much in favor of quarantining everything. I remember one point in particular, he said that the odds of bringing in a fish disease on a shrimp or coral are very low, but why take the chance? We spend thousands on our display tanks, we should be willing to spend a couple hundred on quarantine.