PDA

View Full Version : James's Project.

james_biscuit
05-26-2008, 06:43 AM
Hi there everyone,

Im relativley new here been slowly working my way through all the podcasts, and expanding my knowledge base, but i thought that i had better post a thread as to why im here in the first place lol
these are the pictures of my freshwater setup as it stands, im slowly upgrading and obtaining the extra equipment required to start out in reef keeping. any questions or comments please ask.

Many thanks,
James.

james_biscuit
05-26-2008, 06:55 AM
Just to explain the pics :

1. This shot is of my 300 litre tank in freshwater mode as it stands. with a shot of a bucket of 'dead' sand in the corner awaiting the big switch over lol.

2. Current tank occupants 2 x juvenile oscar fish.

3. My 2 x 220 litre food grade containers for my RO / waste water.

4. On the left my mixing tank for preping the salt water mix. In the centre my UV steralizer. On the right my ehiem proffesional 2 filter and in the rear amy air stone pump.

5. As my tank has 4 cupboards underneath which could not be nocked through as they were structural to the stand i am in the process of building individual acrylic tanks in each one with bulk head fittings between each one.

6. another of the acrylics semi complete the 4 tanks will contain (left to right) A. Drain from over flow B. Protein Skimmer C. Refugium D. Return.

I also just wanted to ask you guys to bear with me on this as im a student and im doing everything on a budget so progress will be slow but ill do my best.

Amphibious
05-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Welcome to TR, James.

We'll watch your progress as you build this fresh to marine conversion.

Happy reefing.

Dick

Skurvey Dog
05-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Hello James and :welcome: to TR!

I too enjoyed fresh water tanks years ago and in the end, only had the Red and Tiger Oscars. They are so fascinating to watch and feed and grow rather large. They are "contractors" of the freshwater fish world as they spend all their time building and re-arranging their home. ;) Look forward to watching your progress in going from fresh to salt!

james_biscuit
05-27-2008, 11:36 AM
well folkes,

I rehomed my oscars today to the LFS and drained my tank and my RO unit and Salt should be here by tommorow morning so I can feel the wheels starting to turn on this whole thing. :up:

CarmieJo
05-27-2008, 09:26 PM
WooHoo you are on the way!

Noobeef
05-28-2008, 12:35 PM
I've never owned an acrylic tank so this question might be null, but I know that if you have ever treated with copper based medications (ick meds) in glass tanks that it gets in the sealant and can leak out and kill corals in a reef tank. Do acrylic tanks have the same issues with sealant leakage, and if so, have you (Jason) ever treated your Oscars or any other fish that has resided in that tank with any copper based meds?

james_biscuit
05-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi there agin everyone,

Just thought id post the latest progress, and in answer to the question i heard that too and thankfully ive had the tank from new and have never touched any copper based meds.

Amphibious
05-28-2008, 01:29 PM
I've never owned an acrylic tank so this question might be null, but I know that if you have ever treated with copper based medications (ick meds) in glass tanks that it gets in the sealant and can leak out and kill corals in a reef tank. Do acrylic tanks have the same issues with sealant leakage, and if so, have you (Jason) ever treated your Oscars or any other fish that has resided in that tank with any copper based meds?

The answer to your Question is no. Just as in glass aquariums, the glass does not absorb nor leach out the copper, the Acrylic doesn't either. It's the sealant that absorbs the copper. In glass aquariums it is silicone which, apparently, absorbs copper. The sealant used in manufacturing Acrylic aquariums is a solvent that melts the Acrylic and the bond is Acrylic to Acrylic.

Dick

Noobeef
05-28-2008, 02:48 PM
The answer to your Question is no. Just as in glass aquariums, the glass does not absorb nor leach out the copper, the Acrylic doesn't either. It's the sealant that absorbs the copper. In glass aquariums it is silicone which, apparently, absorbs copper. The sealant used in manufacturing Acrylic aquariums is a solvent that melts the Acrylic and the bond is Acrylic to Acrylic.

Dick

Well there ya go. I knew it was the sealant that leaked it. I just didn't know if acrylic tanks used the same stuff. Good to know. :)

musicplayer
05-28-2008, 05:11 PM
James, seeing your photos and how your project is developing gives inspiration to newbies like myself who have only ever kept freshwater tanks. I am watching with keen interest as I hope to set up a small nano marine tank but I am still busy reading the forums and looking at other peoples achievements. Good luck with your project and keep posting the developments. :sailing:

lReef lKeeper
05-28-2008, 05:28 PM
James, seeing your photos and how your project is developing gives inspiration to newbies like myself who have only ever kept freshwater tanks. I am watching with keen interest as I hope to set up a small nano marine tank but I am still busy reading the forums and looking at other peoples achievements. Good luck with your project and keep posting the developments. :sailing:

you should really check out our podcasts to understand a marine system. they cover everything you could imagine.

Podcast Episodes - The Talkingreef Community (http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/podcast-episodes/)

welcome to talkingreef !!

CarmieJo
05-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi musicplayer and :welcome: to TR. What kind of music do you play?

james_biscuit
05-29-2008, 03:30 AM
Thanks music player and welcome,
Its good to here that my little thread is having a positive effect as im still a newbie my self to be honest and there are alot lot more experienced / knowledgeable people on here than me. But yes deffinatley check out the podcasts they are legendary as far as infomation goes.

james_biscuit
05-31-2008, 08:01 AM
Hello again every one,

Got the RO unit plumbed in and finished the sump, so just a few pics.

james_biscuit
06-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Just got a quick question and thought that this would be the best place to ask. If I have a overflow a overflow box that is rated at 2500 lph and a return pump rated at 3000 lph am I right in thinking that I can use 1'' pvc pipe for the drain and 3/4'' for the return? thanks in anticipation, im new to the plumbing trade lol.

CarmieJo
06-01-2008, 10:55 PM
James,

I don't know the answer to your question but I don't think that you want a pump that is bigger than your overflow. At the most the pump with head loss should equal the overflow or you will pump the sump dry.

james_biscuit
06-02-2008, 06:51 AM
oh yeah,
lol i suppose that makes sense, some dodgey advice from the lfs, a little bit concerning.
thanks Carmie.

Amphibious
06-02-2008, 09:22 AM
James, it's generally accepted that a 1" drain can handle a flow of 700 gph (sorry, you'll have to convert to lph) dropping straight through, no restrictions (as in elbows). I hate it when I cause a flood because I "push" the limits so, I use a figure of 600 gph as a safety factor. AND, by pumping the sump dry, as Carmie pointed out, you may cause a flood with the tank overflowing.

Dick

Skurvey Dog
06-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Looking good James. :up: Carmie is right. Definately pay heed to Amphibious as he is a retired pipe fitter of 40 years or better and you couldn't be in better hands.

I see that you got the perfect toy. A Refractometer! Man you are gonna love it. One of the best investments I have made. Be sure to clean the lens well with RO water and dry with a soft cloth, and keep the pins lubed to prevent corrosion from the salt.

james_biscuit
06-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Got my light fitting wired up today so thought id share with you guys.

Limpit
06-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Hello all, this is my first post here on TR. James referred me here through an email he sent. Prior to that I have been active on a bunch of the other boards and some of you may have seen my vids on YouTube.
ANYWAYS......
Looking good James, I like seeing how other people do their set ups. That sump sure is a custom made to fit unit.
Before you put any live sand or live rock in your tank a good trick to test the plumbing design is to fill the entire system with RO water and run the pumps to see how things will flow and check for leaks. That way if something is wrong it is only freshwater and not saltwater to clean up.

CarmieJo
06-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Hello Limpit and :welcome: to TR. Good advice re fresh water! James, the light looks good.

james_biscuit
10-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Oh my god, well ive been away for like ever, a long story but change of course change of university and a new job that is shockingly better paid than the last place means that im now back and am picking up the hobby again ill keep you guys posted, hope everyone is well. :mrgreen:

CarmieJo
10-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi James,

:welcome: back!

rayme07
10-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Welcome back James. Cant wait for the update :D

Skurvey Dog
10-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Welcome back James! Glad things are settling down for you and I look forward to seeing you get back into the hobby. :mrgreen:

V
10-20-2008, 02:36 AM
JB, welcome back to the TR table bud.

james_biscuit
10-26-2008, 03:48 AM
So...... I had a re-think about my sump and decided a re-design was in order instead of having 4 individual acrylic boxes built into the four cupboards in my stand i decided to get a bit drastic dismantle every thing, purchase 2x 70 liter tanks (19 us gallons i think) remove 2 of the partitions from the stand and bracket the remaining legs so to speak to the brick wall that the tank backs in the fish room. after i had convinced my self that i had not affected the structural integrity of the stand i put the tank back, and hey presto i had a sump and refugium connected by just three bulk head fittings as apposed to five, alot less complicated and alot less joints which has to be good right?

so with sump re worked i went on a shopping spree and picked myself up 2 x koralia 2 power heads a ocean runner 2500 return pump and a sera master test kit. and that's where were up to as of this morning lol ill try and get some pictures up soon.

CarmieJo
10-26-2008, 05:51 PM
James, please let me know what you think of the Ocean Runner. Does it seem to generate much heat? Is it noisy? Does it seem too big and bulky? (That is the replacement pump I have been looking at.)

james_biscuit
10-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Yeah sure Carmie, as soon as I plumb the thing in on the weekend ill let you know. Hope all is well.
Kind Regards.
James

james_biscuit
11-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Attempted to plumb in my return pump this afternoon, but before i did i decided to follow the instructions and dismantle my ocean runner 2500 as i have never seen inside or dismantled a pump before and figured seen as I'm going to have to take it apart for maintenance id get myself acquainted with it, but in the process managed to break the shaft which is ceramic. doh but never mind ordered another one which should be here in 3-5 days so I'm going to just put the whole thing down as a learning curve. lol mean while I went out to Coventry Aquatics and picked myself up my first shipment of 20kg of live rock, and here are a few pictures for you guys so you can tell me what you think of the layout so far.... p.s. if Carmie is reading this ill adjust my promise from when i get it plumbed in to when i fix it lol.

CarmieJo
11-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Hi James,

I really like the rockwork on the right, especially the capstone! Sorry to hear about the shaft in the Ocean Runner breaking. Do you think it is inherently brittle?

rayme07
11-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Hi james sorry to hear about your problems. Rock work looks nice though.:up: :)

V
11-02-2008, 07:15 PM
mate, your underway, good to see. When you get the structure happening, that when the excitement builds. Even if its not your first BBQ:up:

Dood, those ceramic shafts sux, i remember from the fluval days, the amount i used to break was incredible. i used to order in heaps as backup due to being so predicatbly heavy handed. But alas, i eventually found a new outlet of breakable items........ Glass!!! lol

james_biscuit
11-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the positive vibes over the rock work, just completed my first batch of tests can you guys please let me know what you think.

NH4 = 0mg/l
NH3 = 0mg/l
kH = 9 dkH
pH = 8.5
N02 = 5mg/l
N03 = 50mg/l
p04 = 0.5mg/l
Ca = 500 mg/l
SG = 1.025
25oC

CarmieJo
11-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Hi James,

I would say you are in the midst of your cycle. Have you ever seen any ammonia? Your PO4 is high so I would start running some phosphate reducer. We also need to fugure out where it is coming from or you will have problems with algae.

james_biscuit
11-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi there folks, very excited as when I got home from work today and checked out the tank I have a bout 10 or so what look like tube fans that pop in and out of the rock work if they sense your near by some are purple some are blueish and others are white and brown, its absolutely amazing too watch. Oh and to answer your question Carmie I don't think its inherently brittle just me being heavy handed. and no I haven't yet detected any ammonia at all all I can think is that the bacteria must be using it at the same rate as its being produced? what do you guys think? ill try and get some photos of those fan things but i think there a little small at the mo. ill keep you posted though. x

CarmieJo
11-05-2008, 01:56 AM
James I have those little feather dusters in both my tanks. The tops never get much bigger than a pencil eraser. It is odd that you have not seen ammonia as it is the precursor for nitrite. If you don't see the NO2 climb I would drop a raw table shrimp (or some fish food if you don't have a shrimp) to make sure the cycle is well under way.

james_biscuit
11-09-2008, 06:19 AM
Hi there folk's i was just wondering wether you could do me a favor and tell me what i can do to limit the risk of my system overflowing? because I've been looking at it and I've got a serious amount of water on the move and the more i look at it the more it scares me. lol oh and Carmie fixed the ocean runner spares cost me £9.00 for the shaft and washers and so far I'm very impressed it seems to punch out a whole load of flow and has no problem with my 4ft or so of head. many thanks everyone. x

james_biscuit
11-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi there folks took a trip to the LFS yesterday and picked up some bits and pieces :

james_biscuit
11-24-2008, 05:04 PM
My malu ananome appears to have thrown a wobbly and I don't understand why as everything should be fine anyone with any ideas? suggestions? it was fine for the first 5 hours and then seemed to shrink in size and throw up? its mouth then went back to normal and its been swelling and contracting several times but not back to its original size please consult the photos?

CarmieJo
11-26-2008, 01:50 AM
How did you acclimate it?

james_biscuit
11-29-2008, 07:13 AM
Hey carmie,
Floated it in the bag for 15 minutes to equalizer the temperature and then over the next half hour adding a couple of mls of tank water every few minutes.

CarmieJo
11-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Since they are mostly water I always suggest that you drip acclimate them for an hour or more. Get some regular airline tubing and a valve like this Two-Way Plastic Valve 2 pack (http://www.aquariumguys.com/twowayvalve.html) and put the valve in the middle of the tubing. Open the valve and start the siphon then adjust the valve to slow the siphon to a drip.

If you put the bag inside a Styrofoam bucket like this http://catalog.catfishconnection.com/itemdetail.php?itemnumber=PC2B (http://catalog.catfishconnection.com/itemdetail.php?itemnumber=PC2Bto) it will help maintain the water temp.

james_biscuit
11-30-2008, 07:00 AM
cheers Carmie I suppose now I know. he/she is looking alot better now though.
x x x