PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with my new carpet?

Plasticreefer
05-14-2008, 11:59 PM
I have acquired a new algae! whats less exciting then that is the fact that it is carpeting the sand, killing my weaker corals, and uglying up the tank all together! i don't have any pictures of it because i think it would be pretty easy to I.D. but please correct me if I'm wrong. its red and covers the sand, and the rocks! ughhhh :mad: I've tried one type of product recommended by my LFS but it merely dented the problem. a few days later it had come back in the fullest! i really don't expect a surefire answer but any additional information you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

thank you so much,
Patrick E.

Jenn4183
05-15-2008, 12:13 AM
If it is red slime algae you can use erythromycin. I have used it a couple times in my Fish Only tank and my Reef Tank so i know it is safe. But if you have a picture of it would help in knowing what to treat it with.

Good Luck getting rid of it!!!

Plasticreefer
05-15-2008, 12:53 AM
thanks, i'll try and get some pictures by tomorrow!

ScooterBlenny
05-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Yuck :-( Maybe cyanobacteria? Either way, something must be feeding it. Is anything testing out-of-whack? It amazing how some algae problems can take FOREVER to get rid of.

Skurvey Dog
05-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Hello Plastic Reefer. :D What is called for here is a vacuum cleaner. J/K!!!!!!! It appears that you have a nuisance red algae. There is always "cause and effect" so what you need to do here is find out what is causing this wildfire of algae to take off and grow rapidly. Algaes require a "food source/nutrients and light to grow. I myself, am not keen on adding chemicals to my tank to make corrections. What are your water parameters and how often are you doing water changes? What type of flow do you have in your tank? I would syphon as much of the aglae and clean the tank as best you could to remove it. I would also make sure that good water flow is directed in those areas of heavy growth. I will respond further when more details are supplied. :agree:

Using chemicals may be a "quick fix" to eliminate a problem, but unless you correct the problem at it's source, you will continue to do battle with this algae.

CarmieJo
05-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi ScooterBlenny and :welcome: to TR.

Patrick, if it is a slimy looking layer covering everything it sounds like cyanobacteria, AKA red slime. Although you can use some products that will kill it, if you have not taken care of the root problem it will come right back.

Can you give us some specs on your tank. How long have you had it, livestock list, flow, lights, water change schedule, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, etc. This info and pictures will help us get you on the road to a beautiful tank again.

lReef lKeeper
05-16-2008, 08:46 PM
please also add the age of the bulbs you are running.

Sunshine_Reefer
05-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Often people are confused by test results that read 0. This simply means the algae is consuming the nutrients. Cut way back on feeding, Increae water changes while removing as much as you can manually and rinse all food in ro/di before feeding. Most prepared foods use phosphates as a preservative. I almost forgot the most important question. What is your water source and have you tested that?
HTH

Skurvey Dog
05-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Hello Patrick. :whazzup:

Just wanted to touch base with you and follow up on the under water carpeting that you were having installed w/o your consent. :rolleyes: Hope you've gotten a handle on it and that things are moving along in a positive direction for you. Hope to hear from you soon.

PSEYE
07-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Personally, I would not recommend any chemical to alleviate your problem. In my experience with unwanted algae is WATER CHANGES and sufficient light/water flow. Ive actually done 5% water changes every day for two weeks when I had a spike in P04, it demolished the problem (this is my experience). Sifting your sand on a daily basis will agitate the algae and it will not be able to form on your rocks and sand in an aggressive manner. I would recommend water changes though...although lighting could be an issue, unwanted algae likes dimming lights.