PDA

View Full Version : stand back folks, I dont know how big this things gonna get

laurabolyard
05-02-2008, 03:51 PM
OK, I bought this guy in January, just after I got my new lights, it was no larger than a softball, and, of course, stark white. To say he is happy... well, this is in my 55 gl. He is larger than the one they sell as "GIANT" Is he gonna get much bigger? Should I find him a new home? Will he become unhappy all up in here?

Phurst
05-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Wow, that's impressive. Looks like he's still got plenty of room to grow though.

Do LTAs split like BTAs?

laurabolyard
05-02-2008, 04:50 PM
they dont split! Thats why I am a bit concerned, I dont know how big :eek:

Phurst
05-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Nice centerpiece though. Excuse for a bigger tank ;)

lReef lKeeper
05-02-2008, 07:00 PM
you COULD always frag it !! let me see if i can find something we did on anemone propagation a while back for you. i will post it here if i can find it.

laurabolyard
05-02-2008, 08:57 PM
tell me your kidding

I have joked about 'whacking' a piece off for people

you ARE kidding and Im falling for it right :wow:

Phurst
05-02-2008, 09:00 PM
No, he's not kidding. I don't know about LTAs, but I successfuly cut my BTA in half.

lReef lKeeper
05-02-2008, 09:22 PM
i am VERY serious !! i have the pics coming in an email. i got the new computer and lost all of my old pics, but the guy i helped do it has the same pics.

of course ... you can not just cut a small piece off of it, but you can propagate them. you have to cut it through the middle and get half of the mouth on each piece. its a little tricky, but we have done it and lost 0 in the process.

V
05-02-2008, 09:54 PM
see - give anem an inch, they take a mile:tongue2:

Nice specimin, id be killer happy with that turn around!

laurabolyard
05-02-2008, 09:55 PM
:o bbbbbuttt:eek:

This I have GOT to see!! Thats nuts!

CarmieJo
05-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Here is a thread about Garage BTA System v2.0 - Project DIBS Forums. (http://www.projectdibs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1367&highlight=garage)
It is a bit more than you are talking about but very interesting.

Amphibious
05-03-2008, 11:56 AM
You could always bring him to Amphibious' "Home for Over Fed, Over Grown Anemones". :rotfl:

laurabolyard
05-04-2008, 04:32 PM
It may come to that,Dick, I havent lost any fish yet, but I am thinking that i HAD BETTER NOT GET ANYTHING ELSE, and the fish I DO have had better watch it!!

Carmie, do you have BTA's? How about sebea? He really is quite impressive in all his glory when all opened up soaking in the sun! No exxageration, he takes up a quarter of the tank when he is basking!

Bobby, want to see pics!!!

lReef lKeeper
05-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Bobby, want to see pics!!!

i am waiting for him to send them to me !! i will call him though.

CarmieJo
05-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Laura, I have a HUGE RBTA. When he is fully opened he is as big as a pie plate! For size comparison my maroon is 3" long!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/CarmieJo/DSC_8250.jpg

laurabolyard
05-06-2008, 09:41 PM
carmie, thats a beautiful photo! Yours is a 54 gl? did you note my second photo of the whole tank? its crazy! Im not sure what to do, I am afraid to get any fish! Although he is OBVIOUSLY very well fed, and slugs must not be tasty because they move in and out of him, but I worry about potential fish!

lReef lKeeper
05-06-2008, 09:45 PM
i am emailing the guy with the pics !! we have waited long enough !!

CarmieJo
05-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Mine is in my 54. Yours is big but I think that fish are generally programmed to avoid anemones. I might not choose perchers like blennies or mandarins but most swimmers should be fine.

laurabolyard
05-07-2008, 03:14 PM
I do not consider animals to be temporary residents, but I may have to find them BOTH (gold stripe AND anemone) since I wouldnt seperate them unnecessarily. I could look at it this way, I totally brought this guy to the opitome of health from a stark white softball! Maybe I should take another charity case! Problem with that is, I dont want to promote the sales of unhealthy anemones.

Amphibious
05-07-2008, 05:15 PM
The solution to both of you is...YOU NEED TO GET A BIGGER TANK. You each need a 135 or bigger. Go for it, girls!!! :rotfl:

lReef lKeeper
05-07-2008, 05:48 PM
The solution to both of you is...YOU NEED TO GET A BIGGER TANK. You each need a 135 or bigger. Go for it, girls!!! :rotfl:

and the dare has been made !!

laurabolyard
05-07-2008, 07:18 PM
youe not kidding, 500 w of MH are going to waste on a 55!!!
Problem is, well, quite frankly I dont KNOW what the problem is,

Oh yeah, thats riight, husband needs to stop complaining about electric for THIS tank first :shout:

lReef lKeeper
05-07-2008, 07:56 PM
youe not kidding, 500 w of MH are going to waste on a 55!!!
Problem is, well, quite frankly I dont KNOW what the problem is,

Oh yeah, thats riight, husband needs to stop complaining about electric for THIS tank first :shout:

there is an EASY way to make him stop complaining ... tell him how much MINE is !! :shout: :wow: :D

CarmieJo
05-07-2008, 11:25 PM
LOL, what is it about husbands and electric bills?

laurabolyard
05-08-2008, 03:57 PM
I dont know :shout: I am almost willing to take that bill over just so I dont have to hear about who left what on when!! I can already hear the complaining when I want to start up the fountain pump in the front yard!

Skurvey Dog
05-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Wow Laura, he is a big boy! Both you and CJo have some beauties. :showoff:

laurabolyard
05-31-2008, 06:49 PM
OK, its outa control! Ive lost two corals to this monster (affectionatly of course), I have no more room to keep scooting corals back, some softies have been getting stung, etc. LFS will take him back, they said people are always looking for XTRA LG anemonies. Problem is, he is attached to a very huge piece of rock. I would never get the two out together. Is there any way to coax him to let go? I thought about moving everything in the tank to one side, and tilting the rock sideways to see if he will let loose on his own. Suggestions?

Phurst
05-31-2008, 07:05 PM
I have heard you can get them to let go by putting an ice cube in a ziplock and putting it on the nems foot.

laurabolyard
05-31-2008, 07:19 PM
Interesting, that would sure be easier than the afore mentioned! Its worth a try!!

doctorthompson
06-08-2008, 01:28 PM
No, he's not kidding. I don't know about LTAs, but I successfuly cut my BTA in half.

According to Anthony Calfo the LTA is just as easy to propagate as a BTA.

... this anemone cuts well like every other... Treat this anemone like an Entacmea exactly... it will be fine my friend. You can see videos of us cutting these anemones from the TheImac.org and past MACNA DVDs FWIW - Anthony Calfo
Source: Archived thread from Anthony's Marine Depot Forum
Link: Proping LTA (http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic50243-13-1.aspx)

Phurst
06-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Thanks, might have to try on my LTA before long.

ITeach2Wheels
11-21-2008, 09:16 AM
I guess I am just lucky....I AM the husband so I don't complain about the bill....just about every light other than the the tank that gets left on, and to top it off my wife is VERY cool with the tanks, she want a bigger one!!