PDA

View Full Version : reef safe blenny?

Shananagans
04-30-2008, 12:47 PM
So I happen to like the orange spot blenny, (if you have not heard of it you can find it on liveaquaria.com) Now according to them it is not entirley reef safe as it my "nip" at things. I was in my not so local fish store 2 days ago, and they had what they called a pink spot blenny alage blenny, to me it looks similair but not the same as a orange spot. Has anyone heard of this, and know if it is reef safe?...coral/clam safe?

Phurst
04-30-2008, 02:05 PM
I haven't heard of it, but I have an orange spot that has never been a bit of trouble with anything. Inverts, fish, corals, clams, anemones. I dont see him very often, but he's certainly not causing any problems.

Shananagans
04-30-2008, 02:36 PM
thanks for the quick replies. Sound good, well think I'll pick one up and hope to have the same luck as you. my only other concern is that i have a midas blenny and I am not sure if he will give him an issue, i don't think so, but do you have any experience with this? Also you said you dont see it much, is it shy? And what do you feed it, will it eat algae of the glass? that would be great?

Phurst
04-30-2008, 03:06 PM
I have no idea what it eats :)

I see it grab bits of whatever I'm feeding the tank from time to time. It's not that it's shy, it just spends a lot of time in and behind the rocks, doing , well, I don't really know what it's doing...

I don't know how it would get along with a midas. Sorry I'm not much help there.

Shananagans
05-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Phurst, I went ahead and got the blenny, it looks like an orange spot blenny ( also picked up a clown tang and a cool yellow and pink toadstool too). I put it in my tank and he right down to the sand stayed there for a few mins and then made a straight shot for my clam. I was watching to see if he picked at it, but I noticed he was perched on a rock and using my clam as a pillow. He later swam away and perched on another rock. He seems to stay out in the open fairly ofter just loungen around watching his surroundings. I have not seen him eat yet tho, but I have not been paying the best attention as my focus was alittle more on the clown tang. We'll see what happens.

Phurst
05-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Cool, let us know how it goes.

FishFinder
05-04-2008, 12:04 AM
I had a bi-color blenny in my 28G JBJ Nano, but had to get rid of it because he liked to nip at my SPS corals. When I sold him back to be LFS (half the price :madmad:) the corals started to open again and have been doing fine ever since.

From what I have read almost any fish you buy can nip or eat your corals except maybe Tangs, but don't quote me on that. Blenny's are no different. It could have something to do with hiding places and territories.

Shananagans
05-05-2008, 05:23 PM
So far I just see him chilling here and there. I actually have not seen him eat yet, which will concern me more over the next few days. I have had a midas blenny about a yr it it has never picked at any corals. And so far the midas blenny does not even notic the orange spot blenny. I think partly due to its patterns it blends in with the rock work very well.

Shananagans
05-08-2008, 01:03 PM
so, my orange spot blenny kicked my midas blenny out of his home which I was not thrilled about, but it seems no harms done. I still have not seen him eat, but the random hair algae I added to the tank is disappearing, so I'm guess it's him. I am more concerned about the clown tang I got about a week ago, still not eating anything I put in the tank. Just picks at my rocks occasionally.

CarmieJo
05-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Are you soaking soakable stuff in garlic?

Shananagans
05-09-2008, 10:30 PM
i always soak my food in garlic and vitamin C.

CarmieJo
05-10-2008, 01:22 AM
I think it is a good appetite stimulant and general tonic.

Shananagans
05-14-2008, 10:24 AM
I still can't get teh tang to eat, but he must be eating sumthing goin on 2 weeks now.

On the positive side, for the past few nights I have been watching the orange spot blenny eat algae off the glass, which is exactly what I go him for. :up: