PDA

View Full Version : T5 bulbs

thickerson
04-11-2008, 12:27 AM
I have 5 T5 54W 48" bulbs over my 55 gallon, and I had 2 pair of them burn out . When the bulbs burnt out my mushrooms and coralline algae started growing better. I have a pink colored coralline, but the new growth was a dark purple color. I have a couple of leathers and frogspawn and one Montipora, and they seem to be doing fine with the bulbs out. Originally I had 2 Ocean Pro 20k bulbs, 2 Coral Vue Actinic, and one Sun Pro 10k. Right now only the bulbs that are on are the pair Aquaz Ocean Pro 20k's. Any Suggestions?

Are there websites that show the different brands of bulbs in a tank so I can pick out the look I want?

V
04-11-2008, 03:54 AM
It might be that the total of 5 given animal distance or that (im assuming) the other 2 10k bulbs? were too intense for those musshies or specific Cal alg.. Your tank would be more on the blue colour spectrum anyways yeah>? How long have the bulbs been out of action?

thickerson
04-11-2008, 09:19 AM
The bulbs have been out for about 2 months now. They are over a year old. I need to get new ones, but I don't know what kind to get. I don't want my stuff to shrivel up again.

CarmieJo
04-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Well the actinic bulbs are mostly to make the tank more pleasing to us. Bulbs with a lower K promote better growth but are yellowish and we tend to think that blue is more attractive. So, if I had to guess I would say that they did not like your 10k bulb. How many plugs are on your light? You could use multiple bulbs to create a morning to evening effect in your tank.