PDA

View Full Version : How long can live rock sit in a tub

Dolphirefighter
04-08-2008, 11:43 PM
So I'm going to buy a tank, but I have to wait until the middle of may to buy the tank. I wanna start spending a little there and a little here because as we all know it's absolutely a lot of money to start a new tank. I want to buy uncured live rock and put it in a tub to allow it time to cure. Can it stay like that for 6-8 weeks until I buy my tank and set it up. It should be alright as long as I have water flow and heat right...and the obvious saltwater. Thanks for your help

Amphibious
04-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Hey John,

Keeping LR for 6 to 8 weeks isn't a problem if you are aware of how to take care of it. It needs to be unlit, lots of circulation, heavy protein skimming and water changes. Otherwise you will have an algae out break that would clog the ICWW. :rotfl:

I'm in the country around Ft. Pierce, off Indrio Rd. We're having a reefers meeting at my house April 20th - 2pm. If you are interested PM me. some really nice people coming. Hope you can make it.

Dick

PhotoJohn
04-09-2008, 12:07 AM
the longer the better really. You may want to buy some live rock to seed the base rock as well. You will need to do occasional water changes probably...but as long as water is moving well you should be fine.

CarmieJo
04-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Hi Dolphirefighter and :welcome: to TR! Very cool name! :hat:

You could definitely get the rock and start curing it now. Most folks use tubs or Brute trash cans for curing containers but I've even heard of people using kiddie pools.

Dolphirefighter
04-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm new so I can take all the help I can get.

Skurvey Dog
04-11-2008, 05:50 PM
:welcome: Dolphirefighter! Glad you decided to come get wet with us! Welcome aboard. :up:

lReef lKeeper
04-11-2008, 05:52 PM
welcome aboard dolphinfighter !! you have stumbled upon the greatest reefing site that there is !!

KAN
04-11-2008, 07:27 PM
We're having a reefers meeting at my house April 20th - 2pm.

Wow I just found this thread cool. I would love to come down to FL. But I might have to work that week and you know what gas is like. :D