PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer vs Refractometer

KAN
04-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Wow I just got my first Refractometer. From Marine Depot Aquarium Refractometer (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~MD2101.html) and I love it I don't know why I never got one before. O now I know why cause I never heard of them before THR.

Well lets start of with a little review first. The Hydrometer was nice, had a temp gage on the front of it could stay in the tank. Well heck who would buy one if they didn't know what they were buying. Ok now for the down side well why would you want it hanging in your tank all the time so it would get covered in allege. Ya the temp I think it nice on the front but you should have one for your tank any way so why does it mater. O that right to makes sure your water is at the right temp so you get the best reading as possible.

Now for the Refractometer. Lets me start off by saying they usely come preset. Ok all it takes is 3 drops not a dip. And you don't have to worry about the water temp. It will take the temp in to consideration. So no big deal if you are off by a line a line isn't much. O and it don't take much to keep them clean, all you got to do is wipe them clean with a damp soft towel.

Now how good are they well why don't you tell me. Wow good thing I check the water. Ok the Hydrometer is telling me it is 1.021. And the Refractometer is tell me 1.020. Ya I know that is low.

JustDavidP
04-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Just make sure to clean it off well. Any salt water left on it will cause it to corrode quickly. Welcome to the 21st century :)

Dave

V
04-01-2008, 10:55 PM
hey - some of us still deploy both!

JustDavidP
04-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Why? Do ya run a heater and AC and let em battle it out too ;)

KAN
04-02-2008, 09:01 AM

I knew some people that use to do that in there car all the time. They said that helped the air get colder, by letting some hot air in to be cold down.

Skurvey Dog
04-02-2008, 08:41 PM
The only time I heard of something like that was when you run your heater in your car to keep your radiator from throwing up! But of course, I don't drive these new fandangle showcase cars. Mine the kind you go up front and turn the crank! :D J/K

V
04-02-2008, 10:20 PM

within the context of the sentance, i grab what evers closer at the time, swing arms are still good if you look after them. refractormeters are more precise, but with all the gismos we have on the tanks, esspecially ATO, your parameters should be acurate anyways & testing is just a sanity check. So why throw away good money for nothing i say, or use one over another when both are functional.

KAN
04-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Ya I did kinda point that out and I know you said that some were els to.