PDA

View Full Version : percula tank raised,orange,deep orange

intheb0x
02-23-2008, 05:22 AM
well i been looking at clowns and a LFS near me has gotten in a shipment of percula tank raised clowns. ive never seen clowns so deep orange/allmost red before. are anything special with these clowns? i know some clowns are lighter orange some deeper orange, somealso with a little more black on the,
just wondering if the deepness in the orange means anything.
it really allomost looks red
and no they are not maroon clowns.
thanks everyone

pvtdonut
02-23-2008, 08:26 AM
well, i know i have a pair of true perculas, which i thiink were tank raised....one was a nice deep orange (the male) and the female was a lighter orange. i been feeding them that hikari marine small food...and i noticed that my male clownfish is turning black...hes more black than he is orange....and the female looks like the male did when i first bought them, that nice deep orange color.

i think it depends on the food that they were given while they were being raised.

CarmieJo
02-23-2008, 11:24 PM
I think that the shade of orange is like skin tone in people. If you are breeding clowns you could select the parents based on color and breed for that trait.

intheb0x
02-24-2008, 12:31 AM
do you think the clowns would be worth buying?
since there so deep orange?
there not that expensive

CarmieJo
02-24-2008, 02:40 AM
If you have room in your tank and like them sure, I'd get them.

intheb0x
02-24-2008, 03:48 AM
how many clowns is too many?
is 3 ok? or should you have four to make 2 mated pairs?
what if you already had 2 and introduced a couple more wouldnt that cause problems?

intheb0x
02-24-2008, 04:52 AM
what about putting a black saddleback with 2 already existing perculas?

CarmieJo
02-24-2008, 09:36 AM
I put 2 (yellowish orange) ocellaris in with my existing (deep orange red) ocerallis and they got along fine for a month. Then last night there were problems. See http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/clown-fish/5781-what-do-you-do-too-many-clowns.html So, I don't know what to tell you about the numbers.

pammy
05-20-2008, 01:50 PM
I also bought a clown that really looks red. In the picture below, the one that looks red, on the top, is a tank raised True Percula according to my LFS where I bought him. I was told he was raised at a University where they are experimenting with breeding brighter colors. Looks like an Ocellaris to me, but they say he is a percula. The Orange one below him, is a wild caught True Percula. The red one has really toned down in color, and is now more of a really deep orange. He doesn't really look red anymore like he did in this picture. They both get along fine, although they don't hang around together a ton. The Orange Wild Caught Percula spends most of his time in my Sabae Anemone. Pam

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa157/matsis1234/PairofClownfish.jpg