PDA

View Full Version : calcium in 2 month old biocube 29

BayAreaSteve
02-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Just joined so new here, but had a 60 gal reef about 12 yrs ago for yrs and then gave up after a 4 day power failure. Recently (xmas) started a new 29 gal biocube and my how the technology has improved. ??? My Ca++ hovers around 300 and KH around 8 in spite of continued use of B Ionic calcium and buffer 2 part system dosed as directed. All other numbers are in normal range and nitrate 0. I am using the API master reef test kit for testing and my LFS wanted to sell me another brand for $30. for testing Ca++ and suggested perhaps Mg++, but any help or suggestions appreciated. Just did a 10% water change with ocean water from my LFS. Thanks.

lReef lKeeper
02-18-2008, 10:25 PM
you might want to check you Mag. level. the 3 are closely related and if ione is high or low, it can throw the others off too. for cal, alk, and mag ... i like the salifert and seachem tests.

BayAreaSteve
02-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the reply. doesn't the 2 part B-ionic Ca /Buffer have Mg++ in it? I assumed the ocean water change added Mg and trace elements as well. Didn't know that Mg can be tested.

lReef lKeeper
02-18-2008, 11:21 PM
i am not sure on that, but i know they are all related, and one WILL affect the other. seachem makes a great mag test kit, but it is like a science project to use it.

CarmieJo
02-19-2008, 03:09 AM
Hi Steve and :welcome: to TR. I love my Seachem Mg test kit. But them I always was a geeky kid. :)

Seriously low Mg will make it difficult to keep the Ca up. Mg should be at approximately 3 times the Ca, I keep mine at 1250-1300 and my Ca at around 450. I looked here B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System (http://www.esvco.com/prod6.html) and it does not appear the the B-ionic has any Mg in it.

BayAreaSteve
02-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Your guys are great thanks for the welcome. So you actually supplement Mg in addition to Ca? In the B-ionic solution #2 "Calcium" it does say it contains Mg, but perhaps not enough? Without getting into a chemistry lab, is there a good test kit for Ca, Mg. KH, and pH that you all like and that is accurate? In the pH kit and the API master reef kit, it is like throwing dice everytime I test and I dont trust the reliability nor accuracy. Thanks again... in my old reef yrs ago I didnt seem to be so water chemistry conscious...but then again alot of hair algae and water changes and tubes and wires that the biocube does not have. Steve

lReef lKeeper
02-19-2008, 12:09 PM
most people use either Salifert, Seachem, or API test kits. i like them all, but use the API more than the others.

rroselavy
02-19-2008, 01:54 PM
So you actually supplement Mg in addition to Ca? In the B-ionic solution #2 "Calcium" it does say it contains Mg, but perhaps not enough?

The amount of Magnesium Chloride in B-ionic is meant to maintain Mg, not to raise the level significantly.

I am also using B-ionic (and temporarily C-Balance) to boost and maintain my Ca levels. However, my Mg was around 1215, which is a bit low. According to Carmie's rule of 3ppm Mg to 1 ppm Ca, I should be able to get my Ca up to 405 before exceeding the ratio. I was still having probems boosting Ca, and am now raising my Mg levels (with B-ionic Mg) to about 1300 as I dose Ca. Thanks to the Randy Holmes Farley article (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm) , I am finaly starting to see some progress. My initial problem is that I was raising Alk when I should have been dosing only the Ca component until I go into a "balanced" zone as discussed in the article. After I am in the balanced zone, then I would raise my Alk to get to the target zone. Post your Alk, Ph, Ca and Mg levels, and refer to Randy's article to see what you should be dosing.

Without getting into a chemistry lab, is there a good test kit for Ca, Mg. KH, and pH that you all like and that is accurate? In the pH kit and the API master reef kit, it is like throwing dice everytime I test and I dont trust the reliability nor accuracy.

When I started in this hobby, I had the Red Sea "Marine Lab" kit, which I used to think was fine, but after all that I have read online, I am not too sure. I have since switched over to Salifert(Ca, Mg, PO4, NO3), and although there are not kid-proof caps (and warnings) on the reagents, and there is no known independant testing of the Salifert reagents (there was an Alk kit scare on RC a while back), I like these kits the most so far.

I have even picked up a few Elos kits (KH, Ca), and although they are nice kits (with proper labels and NIST testing), the titration drops are too big so the tests have less resolution. You can use more water to increase the precision of the tests, but then you burn through more reagents. Since I am dosing Ca and Alk, I would like to see the results of my dosing more precisely than I would normally. I believe Elos may be improving their kits soon to address this.

I like the look of the LaMotte kits (http://www.lamotte.com/pages/aqua/salt.html), and especially like the cases they come with and the LaMotte company certainly seems to be on top of the testing game. I have heard that their tests are not necessarily the easiest to use.

Carmie has stated that she uses Seachem kits, and this seems to be a really valid option.

For pH(and temp), I rely on a handheld Hanna meter (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9848&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&pc=1&N=0&Ntt=hanna&Np=1) I picked up recently, and compare it to an old Lighthouse controller that I am now using as a temp/pH monitor.

BayAreaSteve
02-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Extremely helpful thanks rroselavy. I have printed my reading material for tonight.... S

absolutbill
02-19-2008, 06:02 PM
You mention you are getting ocean water from your LFS is it Natural sea water do they just mix salt and RO. It may be good to test the water you are getting from your LFS. Every time i hit a new bucket of salt I run the whole gambit of tests when the first batch is mixed up just to make sure!

BayAreaSteve
02-20-2008, 10:44 AM
They have a big plastic floor to ceiling container (I've seen same set up at AltlantisAquarium.net'sstore) and he says it comes from Half Moon Bay (ocean just south of SF). $1/gallon. seemed alot easier than mixing and i tested the Ca and it was 300. My wife brought in a water sample and the LFS tested the KH at 15 and my API testing is consistently 8??? So just ordered from Foster and Smith a bunch of test kits from Seachem including Mg so maybe another opinion might help. Meantime all the livestock looks to be thriving with lots of corraline and the LFS guy said don't worry so much and just enjoy...

absolutbill
02-20-2008, 11:54 PM
I get nervous when anyone at my LFS mentions "don't worry" at the same time they are trying to sell me something!

Worry now, relax and enjoy your tank later and longer!

rroselavy
02-21-2008, 02:15 AM
IMHO, taking care of an aquarium counteracts the old saying about aquariums and relaxation (aka low blood pressure). I think and think and worry and worry, yet I am somehow still enjoy and am fascinated by every aspect.

I used to buy NSW for my 24g before I started mixing. I would caution to check the water periodically. If it was collected close to shore too soon after a rain, it may be tainted by runoff and other bad stuff. What is the salinity of the NSW you buy?

Also, in Los Angeles, NSW can sell as cheap as $0.65-0.70 a gallon. You may want to shop around.