PDA

View Full Version : 29G Tall Help/New To Nano Reef

KAN
02-06-2008, 11:15 PM
I Have a 29G tall with 16lb of Fuji nano live rock, with Florida crushed coral. I was thinking on doing a reef tank and adding on 10G, 5G refugium. The way I’m going to make the refugium is out of my old tanks. I have protein skimmer and a light (Satellite 30” Single Compact Fluorescent 10000K/460 Nanometer Actinic).

I was wondering if I should get more live rock and if so how much I should add to it? If I could use the crush coral or if I should go with sand? I don't have any fish or coral yet.

I have a canister filter rate now but I’m going to put that on the 55G freshwater tank I’m going to set up in the summer. I know every one out there say use the 55G as your reef tank, but the tank is my dad’s and he wants it to be fresh water and my younger bother wants keep Tetras so I told them I would set it up for them. So that is where my canister is going to go.

I look the TR podcast, and forums. I all most gave up on doing a saltwater tank but after find the podcast, I then realized what I did all wrong and figured that I would give it another try.:up:

CarmieJo
02-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Hello KAN and :welcome: to TR! I'm glad you found us.

I think that your 29 with a 10-15 gallon sump/fuge will be a fine setup. I would increase your rock to 30-40 lbs total. You could use base rock like that from Marco Rocks (http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=14), a TR sponsor and the LR you have now will seed it. I really recommend using aragonite sand instead of crushed coral. The coral tends to collect detritus and that can create problems. I am a fan of a DSB and a 29 is tall enough to accommodate one.

I think it is a good idea to save the cannister for the FW tank. I have one that I use occasionally for water polishing but they are not a good choice for an all the time filter on a SW tank.

In addition to your return pump you will probably want a couple of powerheads inside the tank. I am very happy with my Koralia pumps from The Cultured Reef, another TR sponsor. For a 29 I'd go with a K1.

V
02-07-2008, 12:52 AM
sweet, cant get better advice than that!;)

welcome to the club dood.
just out of curosity, what was your number 1 mistake of late with SW?

KAN
02-07-2008, 11:14 AM
sweet, cant get better advice than that!;)

welcome to the club dood.
just out of curosity, what was your number 1 mistake of late with SW?
I had a undergravel filter in it not working in reverse flow. Because the book I have said undergravel would be good for a reef tank and did recommend using it in reverse flow but wasn’t needed. That the crushed coral would be better to use than sand. But after doing some searching and finding Talking Reef that I should have done my homework better.

Skurvey Dog
02-07-2008, 11:28 AM
:welcome: to TR Kan!

I'm glad you found us and the podcasts. They are awesome. And ditto to everything Cjo said.

KAN
02-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Well I just to and ordered 40lb bag of (CaribSea Aragonite Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand
) and (Pentair Aquatics Lifegard Quiet One 12000) all from petsmart. When I finish figuring out how I’m going to set every thing up and finish getting every thing I’ll have to send some picks in. But first I got to get most of the stuff first. I’ll put the sand in rate away to get the tank cycling. When I get some money to buy more stuff for it I’ll keep you all posted.:santacrazy:

CarmieJo
02-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeah, aquariums are bottomless hole in which to dump money. :)

KAN
02-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Well I just go the overflow box and it will flow up to 300Gph and the pump I have coming is 296Gph. Pulse I to and got the Koralia 1. Sow I should be getting most of it together soon.:D

CarmieJo
02-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Good deal. You may(or may not) find that you want 2 of the Koralias so you can point thm at each other and create more chaotic flow.

Skurvey Dog
02-09-2008, 04:30 AM
Olah Kan! Sounds like you are moving right along. :goodjob: If money is tight, you might just want to get one of the Koralias and see how that will work. I have two #3s and my Lion isn't wild about all the new water movement. I am thinking about maybe getting a #1 for flow in his favorite hang out and then maybe with time slowly add the #3 back. :heart: And like CJo was saying, you can cut cost by buying dry base rock and always later down the road, get some cured LR to seed it. And of course, you're always going to get rocks when you buy coral, that is if it's not frags. And your wish list gets longer while your pockets get shorter. Hang in there, you're on your way!

V
02-09-2008, 04:53 AM
just to put a weird spin on it, i use crushed coral for my bed on the nano @ work because i have tons of it & not much else to use it on, id still be one of those people that recommend a fine bed if your deciding on it though. & get this, to compound it even more, ive made my own gravel washer & bi-weekly i clean the bed of all the crap. Doesn't take a genius to realize larger particles, larger detritus trapping abilities. key difference is this isnt my first BBQ if you know what i mean, so i compensate in other ways.

KAN
02-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Well I should be getting most of the stuff today and tomorrow. :gifts:Then next week after I get my check and pay my bills first I’m going to take what’s left over and go to Lowes and get what I need to get my pluming going for now.
O if I hadn’t posted it yet that I have been working on fixing up my room but done for now. But this summer adding on 20ft to my room. So mostly what I do now is just to get the tank cycling. So then I’ll have some inspiration to get the room done plus to plane out were I’m going to put the tank. Plus the big thing what I’m going to put in it. So that I’m going to do my homework this time instead of throwing money down the drain.:bash:
So I can’t wait until I go back to work in the spring and bring in some big bucks to get everything started.:showoff:

dkone
02-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Sounds excellent Kan, I look forwards of seeing some pics of your tank project as it develops. The first few months, or year, in this hobby can be some of the most exciting and (frustrating!).

Warm Regards,

Skurvey Dog
02-12-2008, 02:04 PM
You're doing good Kan! Funny how everything is expensive to get started, and we find ourselves not moving at the pace we wanted. But all things worth having takes time and I personally feel that I appreciate what I have so far and the progress that I have made even more so, because of it. But, that's what hobbies are. They are an extension of whom we are and I can't wait to see the real you that's lurking inside, just waiting to come out! :up:

Reefbaby
02-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Welcome to TR KAN! I see you've already met the regulars here and have received awesome advice, as usual!

In terms of the canister filter, if you're using a skimmer, it and the live rock and sand will be all the filtration you'll need. Just remember to be patient, let your system cycle slowly, and then gradually add your clean up crew and then other inverts/fish/corals. Patience dearly pays off in this hobby!

KAN
02-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Well I just got the rest of the stuff except the plumbing supplies. I don’t have a RO/DI yet but have been looking at (SpectaPure Marine Pro RO/DI 100GPD for $219.99+tx). Should I wait to I get one in about 3 or 4 weeks? Or could I just go a head and use condition tap water? O plus what do you think of the RO/DI unite?
I could go and get distilled water but it would set me back in getting the RO/DI. The only thing I could hope for rate know is a early spring. So I could get back to doing pool work. I think the like of fish that I have is what lead me to working with pools. Now that I look on it pools are just about the same as aquarium.
And one more thing after watching the podcast EP on changing the RO/DI filters after getting back from the bath room I’m going to get a tap system for it to later down the line.

Skurvey Dog
02-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Well I just got the rest of the stuff except the plumbing supplies. I don’t have a RO/DI yet but have been looking at (SpectaPure Marine Pro RO/DI 100GPD for $219.99+tx). Should I wait to I get one in about 3 or 4 weeks? Or could I just go a head and use condition tap water? O plus what do you think of the RO/DI unite?
I could go and get distilled water but it would set me back in getting the RO/DI. The only thing I could hope for rate know is a early spring. So I could get back to doing pool work. I think the like of fish that I have is what lead me to working with pools. Now that I look on it pools are just about the same as aquarium.
And one more thing after watching the podcast EP on changing the RO/DI filters after getting back from the bath room I’m going to get a tap system for it to later down the line.

Kan, here is an article talking about what's in tap water and why it needs to be purified by an RO/DI unit. Unfortunately I cannot advise you on a unit, but there are others here who might be able to help you. I just set my unit up a week ago and have saved $50.00 in doing so.

Reverse Osmosis/Deionization Systems to Purify Tap Water for Reef Aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/rhf/index.php#1)

KAN
02-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Wow I think my head is going to pop. That is allot of information.
Well after looking around on the forms I found some members referring to a ebay store that was really cheap eBay Store - The Aqua-Safe Pure Water Shop: Category 2, ACCESSORY ITEMS (http://stores.ebay.com/The-Aqua-Safe-Pure-Water-Shop).

CarmieJo
02-14-2008, 01:47 AM
The LFS around here sell RO/DI for about $0.50 a gallon.

Skurvey Dog
02-14-2008, 04:05 AM
Wow I think my head is going to pop. That is allot of information.
Well after looking around on the forms I found some members referring to a ebay store that was really cheap eBay Store - The Aqua-Safe Pure Water Shop: Category 2, ACCESSORY ITEMS (http://stores.ebay.com/The-Aqua-Safe-Pure-Water-Shop).

I purchased my unit from that entity. I feel that I got a very good deal. It was shipped out right after the sale and arrived about 7 days later. The only problem that you will have is if you need help setting it up as I did not get a response to the e-mail I sent them until 2 weeks after the fact. Other than that, I'm glad I got the unit.

KAN
02-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Well I’m pretty handy and think I could figure it out. But if not my one friend is a master plumber and was the one who taught me.
Wow for that RO/DI unite being so much cheaper I think I could work it in my budget net week. But if not I think I’ll just go out to my local store and get some distilled water cause last time I checked it was about $0.50 gallon. I just wish that my local store had a Ro unit cause I use to work their and they would just give me the water.

V
02-14-2008, 09:21 AM
you'll get there soon enough bud. just like Christmas when you were young, start counting down the sleeps..lol

KAN
02-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Man Veriann your to funny. LOL:rotfl:

lReef lKeeper
02-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Man Veriann your to funny. LOL:rotfl:

dont let him fool you !! you will have to get use to his sense of humor !! he is still a young Jedi. his crocodile dundee attitude is VERY cool though. lol

V ... nuthin but reef luv for ya buddy.

KAN
02-14-2008, 07:02 PM
dont let him fool you !! you will have to get use to his sense of humor !! he is still a young Jedi. his crocodile dundee attitude is VERY cool though. lol

V ... nuthin but reef luv for ya buddy.

Ya i luv all the reefer buddies out their. Yes he is very young jedi and he will become a master soon. But hope he stay young in heart. But the master got to now when to setep down and let the student shine.:master:

Skurvey Dog
02-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Yes, we all have been assemilated by the Borg into the collective Reef. :p

CarmieJo
02-15-2008, 01:05 AM
We really need to mount a rescue to get FW off the Borg Cube.

V
02-15-2008, 05:52 AM
plenty of wit, humor, interesting topics, old band members joining new band members, free tuna sandwiches, someone fatter than him, all these things will bring blubber back. our old friend will be mixing it again with us shortly carmie, if not i'll coat my body in tuna oil & run naked though the site - Now i dont know if its my finely tuned body or the tuna oil, but at last resort that seems to work..lol

For those reading this & saying WTF???

Blubber is fat walrus. But only i can call him blubber & live to talk about it!
Heeeya! http://www.alexander-oberg.de/smileys/Tsachakko.gif

KAN
02-16-2008, 01:03 PM
YA and your full of it!!:tongue2:

:birthday:To me 23:cheers:

Skurvey Dog
02-16-2008, 02:30 PM
:hb: Kan! It's the Grand Chawhees Birthday! You're gonna party like it's your birthday and you know we do give a bleep about your birthday! :cheers: And if you're gonna party for your birthday, make sure you have a designated driver so you continue to have a good birthday! :tongue2:

V
02-16-2008, 09:09 PM
how many sleeps to your own water, who cares cause i had only 3 sleeps till my b'day, thats what i would have said anyways :D

Yeah, happy b'day bud. Quick, check your ears, your @ss crack or your chest for that one grey hair & yank it out - that unsuspecting one the others look at & say, you know what, that strand has it happening, im going to start producing that sheen! lol

KAN
02-22-2008, 10:14 AM
well at lest you guys remembered. Because all my friends forgot and i told them on 15 and 16. they still think it's this weekend. well at lest they are finally realizing they are wrong. But i think it's the tough that counts any ways. Well my parents remembered. i did get to :party: with the girls on the 15. but the good part is it was at my buddy house in his game room were we have a bar and he had to get up for work at 4am. and we were so post to go to bed at 12Am and we looked at the clock and it was going after 1:30. then when i saw him the next day i told him "well at lest we rang in the new year with a good night. Lets do all over again tonight." Hey said NO of course. but his old lady forgot and is trowing me a little party this weekend and my buddy don't have to work this time. :dance::w000t:
I love being a young Red Neck Hillbilly. Can you use them in the same sentence well i don't know. But bring on the Moonshine and john deer mooter oil and strip me down baby and lather me up I'm going to running through the hill of PA all night long in this icey Snow. wow it's cold out.

Wait we are getting :OT: heir so let's get back on or I'll be :blah: on all day.
I just ordered the RO/DI unit so i should have is by the end of next week. so next weekend I'm going to do all my pluming work and get the tank set up on Sunday or Monday and try to take some picks and send in.

V
02-22-2008, 11:05 AM
well if you were at least 18 i can see us hanging out red neck! lol:tongue2:

KAN
02-22-2008, 09:39 PM
well if you were at least 18 i can see us hanging out red neck! lol:tongue2:

What do you mean at least 18 I'm 23. so your telling me I'm to old to party. I told my buddy about you and he thinks you are :rotfl:. But he is not a reefer so he don't get all the jokes I tell him rate away and thinks I'm down under to.

CarmieJo
02-22-2008, 09:48 PM
I've pretty much been AFK for the last week. Our Polish daughter (exchange student who lived with us for 2003-2004) has been here for a visit. So, even though I'm late I want to say :hb:!!!

KAN
02-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Well I’m been with the site for a little bit now and been getting allot of help form every one with getting my tank planning going. So I’m just got just about everything I need to get the tank setup. So I figured I move over to journals. So every one can find it all right. Her is the link to the tread that will up date every one to were I am now http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/nano-reefs/5894-29g-tall-help-new-nano-reef.html
I’ll post picks soon as I brow my friends camera.

KAN
02-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Well I mover over to the Tank Journals http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/member-tank-projects/5977-29-gallon-tall-mix-reef-tank.html. So thanks for all you help in getting my tank started off. Hope you all flow up on my tank and continual to give me your help with all the problems I might have.:thanks:

Skurvey Dog
02-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Will do Buckaroo! :up:

Skurvey Dog
02-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Getting excited. Let's get this puppy started! :D

KAN
02-26-2008, 03:41 PM
I just stared dry setting it up to see how it's going to go all together. plus to make sure i get all my plumbing supplies in one trip, but if not i got a local hardware store. But wow he is pricey.
UPS won't be her with RO/DI till Monday eve. I'll probably get it filled up and rinse the sand off on Tuesday. I found out what to do with the crushed Coral. My buddy old lady just bought the Hair styling salon that she working at and what's to some remodeling. Whit let me start at the beginning. It all started when we all went to PETCO to get some fish for her FW tank and all the fish her youngest son wanted was salt water fish. so we took him over to the dog toys away so my buddy could get the fish we pick out and go wait in the car for us and it work he forgot about getting fish till we go home.
so to make along storie short I told why don't she wait to about the middle of the before making planes on getting a tank and setting up at the shop. so I can see if I can get a good grip on Reef Tank. That a fish only tank is going to be allot easier to maintain.
So she said sure if I would take care of it. So i told her if she starts giving me free highlights all the time. Cause I all ready get free hair cut and one highlight.:D

KAN
02-29-2008, 03:07 PM
I just finished cleaning the tank up today and figured i would take some picks with my cell phone.
[http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh38/KAN692/0229081211.jpg
I haven't been out yet to get supplies to do the plumbing. But it's so post to get nice this weekend and the RO/DI going to come on Monday. So I'm going to get on a ball and get it all done so I can fill it up.:D
Sorry for the mess but when I'm done doing everything this summer it will all look nice. Cause the room should be done and finally carpet.

CarmieJo
03-01-2008, 01:37 AM
Good deal! Keep the pictures coming!

KAN
03-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Well I got RO/DI yesterday all ready got it hoked up. Wow my back hearts from being under the counter that long but got it working, no more leaks and working fine. The next thing to do today is get the tank plumbing glued tonight. And if I don't get tried I'm going to get the sand ready.

Pescaiolo
03-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Very nice! Keep us updated!

KAN
03-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Well I just got up so i figured i would update everyone. I doubled checked the plumbing, got the tank all most filled up all the way yesterday. I have the power head on to keep the water moving. I'll post some more picks soon as I get time to. I'll keep you all updated on the reading from week to week, most likely on Thursday.;)

KAN
03-06-2008, 08:52 PM
well I just got the tank up and running. Everything working okay except the overflow has some gurgling, I'm going to fix that with a ball valve. So for now I'm going to turn the pump off at night, cause it makes me have to go all the time.:eek:But i have been think i might go with allot bigger tank and just hook this one in to it. That if this one kicks off good, but i think it will with all the help I'm been getting.;)

KAN
03-07-2008, 11:58 AM
I just simulated a power failure last night when I went to shut it off and oops:wow: that I forgot to take in factor the return line out should be near the top of the tank not 3-4in in the tank. So I'm going to have to make anther trip to lowes for plumbing parts. I got to go get a ball valve any way but, I'm just going to have to go sooner. At least I got my tax return.:D
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh38/KAN692/2.jpg

KAN
03-08-2008, 04:55 PM
I fixed the return by just putting a hole in the return just under the water line so when the power cuts out that it would break the stiffen.

KAN
03-13-2008, 11:27 AM
I just ordered 30Lb of live rock to add. So after I get do curing the rock and adding it to the tank I'll post new picks.

PH - 7.8
Ammonia - .5 ppm Mg/L
Nitrite - .25 ppm Mg/L
Nitrate - 5.0 ppm Mg/L

Skurvey Dog
03-13-2008, 04:13 PM
You're moving right along Kan. Reading through your posts, I thought the same thing about the Syphon break in the line. But then I saw you figured that out by yourself. :up: Gotta have that break to prevent disaster. So what type of LR did you decide to get?

KAN
03-13-2008, 04:36 PM
So what type of LR did you decide to get?

I found this online reef store that was kinda close to me and could get a cheaper shipping rate then their regaler shipping rate. so I got 30lb Tonga Nuku Fusion LiveRock. Detail Page (http://pacificeastaquaculture.com/Detail.aspx?ID=3984&ReturnPage=%2fShowProductCategory.aspx%3fCategoryI d%3d5%23T+2004) OoO pluse they were really nice to they called me to see what size of rock I wanted and to confirm when they were go so send it, and when it would arrive.:up:
Thanks for all the help. But I have been reading the forms more now and figured if I post the problems that I had with setting my fist homemade set up. That others might read all this and it solve there problems to. So it is just a big learning experience for most use out there and this is just my way to give bake to the site.

Skurvey Dog
03-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Love Tonga! You should be pleased. And you are ever so right when you say everyone is learning. That's why I love TR, so many good folks sharing knowledge and experiences, some happy and some disasters, but from all of this we learn and grow in knowledge and experience!

KAN
03-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Wow I just go my rock and I made a good choice going with the company that I went with.:wow: The rock look nice and I noted on the one rock that it has coral growing on it all ready a red twig like thing I don't know the name. But for that much I don't know really any about Coral. So I going to have to more trow research on coral.
So if any one now of a good beginners book out let me know and I'll problem get it and read the whole book. Then my head will expoled.
Well i got to go out and get a big can to cure the rock in cause my bucket is to small.:o

KAN
03-15-2008, 09:37 PM
I think I figured out the name of the coral that is on the rock all ready Antipathes arborea. I really won't know utill it starts to grow but I'm very :D :eek: what it is.

KAN
03-18-2008, 02:46 PM
I think my quiet 1200 pump doesn't seem to push enough water cause the over flow seem to build up with an air bubble. I sent Rob a MSG about it but he didn't get back to me but no problem I was keeping two good :wow: on it . But after I started to listen to some of the podcast again cause most of them I listened to them when I went to sleep. Found out someone asked him about head lost then I went over to Reef Central and found out that I can flow allot more then I tough at first.

So do you think I should get a mag 5 then a 3 and have more flow then I need or go with the Mag 3 with a flow rate of 288g installed? My overflow box only flows 300g.

KAN
03-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Well I think I'm going to post my question here sine I don't get to many hits on the tank page. But Lori seems to be a big fan of mine any way thank again Lori for all the help.

1 The pump doesn't seem to push allot of water and then went over to Reef Central to use their calculator and found out that I'm only pushing around 225g. Then tried it with a Mag5 then 3 and found out Mag 3 would push 288g. So what do you all think should I get a Mag3 or 5? Then have more then I need. O and my over flow box will flow up to 300g and my hight is 3ft.

2 I was think on get a good book on reef care and fish. So what do you think would be a good one to pick up?

3 I know that I'm going to get a pair of clown fish to put in the tank but What kind of corals would be the best to put in a small tank for them to hide in?

Thanks your all been great. I'll post some new picks tomorrow when I do my water test.:D

keith p
03-19-2008, 03:24 PM
The LFS around here sell RO/DI for about $0.50 a gallon.

50 CENTS!?? I pay well over $1.00 everywhere on Long Island (closer to $1.50!!)

I'm looking at this unit. Melev is well known on other forums and a few local buddies highly recommended his system. I trust this more than an eBay jobber:
Melevsreef.com - 100gpd RO/DI System (http://www.melevsreef.com/ro_di.html)

KAN
03-19-2008, 03:35 PM
well I got the Ro/DI unit off of ebay and love it. Most of the members on the site got one to and recommend it to everyone and I would to. Cause it's just like the one melev sells and use stander RO/DI water filters and pulse it's allot cheaper then other 100gpd unites out their.

Reefbaby
03-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Well I think I'm going to post my question here sine I don't get to many hits on the tank page. But Lori seems to be a big fan of mine any way thank again Lori for all the help.

1 The pump doesn't seem to push allot of water and then went over to Reef Central to use their calculator and found out that I'm only pushing around 225g. Then tried it with a Mag5 then 3 and found out Mag 3 would push 288g. So what do you all think should I get a Mag3 or 5? Then have more then I need. O and my over flow box will flow up to 300g and my hight is 3ft.

2 I was think on get a good book on reef care and fish. So what do you think would be a good one to pick up?

3 I know that I'm going to get a pair of clown fish to put in the tank but What kind of corals would be the best to put in a small tank for them to hide in?

Thanks your all been great. I'll post some new picks tomorrow when I do my water test.:D

1. I won't comment on the pumps, because I'm not too familiar with the products in the US.

2. There are some great books recommended on the TR library (http://www.librarything.com/catalog/talkingreef).

I personally have found the following to be super informative:

The Reef Aquarium: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates (Volume 1) (Hardcover)
by J. Charles Delbeek (Author), Julian Sprung (Author), Charles Delbeek (Author)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71FJ8FFW1FL._SS500_.gif

along with Volume 2 and 3. Volume 3 is great and very technical...
The Reef Aquarium: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates (Vol 2) (Hardcover)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/7189JYANPTL._SS500_.gif

The Reef Aquarium: Science, Art, and Technology, Vol. 3 (Hardcover)
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/59/5a/1b7fa2c008a09b8430256010.L.jpg

All three of these books are fantastic resources for aquariums, refugiums, lighting, sumps, calcium supplmentation (all forms), supplements, flow, etc., as well as corals and other reef invertebrates. The only thing they don't really highlight are the fish, but there are plenty of other books out there about fish.

3. Clown fish will host in a variety of corals. For a small tank, I would recommend Euphyllia or Sarcophyton. Heck, mine have even hosted xenia and zooanthids!

KAN
03-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks Christi of course you had to pick a 3 volume book. I"ll give them a good look at. Euphyllia that looks just like whit I saw at the fish store that the one clown was like say ( catnip) all over it. Sarcophyton Wow that something weird looking but the brown looks cool.

Reefbaby
03-19-2008, 06:07 PM
:D :agree:

Sorry about the 3 volumes....but seriously, these are the three books that I invariable return to over and over again. You should go to your local library and see if they have them. It's a good way to decide whether you want to invest the money in your own library.

Sarcophytons come in all kinds of shapes and styles....and some are even a bit yellow! The longer polyped ones tend to be better for the clowns. Alveoporas are also nice, but they are a bit more difficult of a coral...require pristine conditions...and are more expensive!

Skurvey Dog
03-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks Christi!

Kan, I also might add something that I personally do from time to time. I like to go down to Barnes & Nobles and go through their marine aquarium books and choose a few that I find interesting and then get myself some coffee and a dessert. :D You can go in there and read any book you want for as long as you want, provided of course it's during business hours. I personally find a lot of books only provide sections of information that I am interested in at any given time, so for me, I enjoy this method. It allows me to not wind up buying a book that I really am not going to be referring back to all the time. Plus it allows you time to really get into the book to see if you will need it in the future. It's also great for people who don't really have the money to make book purchases also. Just a suggestion. ;)

KAN
03-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks I didn't think for that Christi I have a couple of big libraries around me.
Ya your right Lori I could give the book store a try at night and I might get lucky they'll lock me in and I can read all night. Then I'll get that Harry Potter book that my friend can seem to find to lend me.

Skurvey Dog
03-19-2008, 09:38 PM
:D I didn't think my reply posted as when I was finished and hit "send"... my browser crashed! :shout: And of course I said Heck with it, wasn't a life altering reply. :roll: But anyho, glad it posted.

keith p
03-20-2008, 11:43 AM
well I got the Ro/DI unit off of ebay and love it. Most of the members on the site got one to and recommend it to everyone and I would to. Cause it's just like the one melev sells and use stander RO/DI water filters and pulse it's allot cheaper then other 100gpd unites out their.

I just paid $1.99/gal yesterday. I need an RO/DI ASAP!

Would you mind sharing with me which eBay unit you got? There are a few and I'm still a little weary. I didn't realize how much cheaper they were on eBay! Also, should I get an inline TDS meter or hand held?

KAN
03-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Well there is this one if you want to save money AQUA-SAFE AQUARIUM II REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER FILTER - eBay (item 150227809421 end time Mar-25-08 09:00:00 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-SAFE-AQUARIUM-II-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-WATER-FILTER_W0QQitemZ150227809421QQihZ005QQcategoryZ206 84QQcmdZViewItem). But most of use here has this one AQUA-SAFE HOME II 100 GPD REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER FILTER - eBay (item 160220696115 end time Mar-27-08 06:30:00 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-SAFE-HOME-II-100-GPD-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-WATER-FILTER_W0QQitemZ160220696115QQihZ006QQcategoryZ206 84QQcmdZViewItem). Because it has a holding tank and tap for drinking water. Yes I would get a TDS. Now if you ask most they would say to get 2 and have one on each side of the Di so you know when to change or flush Ro filters so that DI don't get used up to fast. O and I found one on ebay for $25 with free shipping:D. Like this one HM Dual Inline TDS Meter Reverse Osmosis RO DI 25.50 - eBay (item 150225693351 end time Mar-20-08 19:50:40 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/HM-Dual-Inline-TDS-Meter-Reverse-Osmosis-RO-DI-25-50_W0QQitemZ150225693351QQihZ005QQcategoryZ117435Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). The hand ones are a little cheaper but if your going just use it for your RO/DI i would just get a in line.:mrgreen:

KAN
03-20-2008, 01:40 PM
well here we go let's do the test and take some knew pick with the phone.
Ph 7.8
Ammonia 1-2 ppm
Nitrite 5 mg/h
Nitrate 10 mg/h

Now lets try to take a new pick.:D wow I finally got it.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh38/KAN692/3.jpg

KAN
03-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Well what about the pump do you think it's better to push more water then you need or just get a mag 3 and push 288g over the full amount of 300g?

KAN
03-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Well I was just looking at some stuff for the tank.
So what do you think of Green Polyp leather coral, brown Toadstool, and yellow Porites coral.
For the tank cleaner side Turbo Snails and a Dwarf Zebra Hermite crab.
For the fish side Ocellaris Clown for now.
I'm just trying to get a mix of all. But I'm not going to get anything soon but the snails.

CarmieJo
03-21-2008, 12:06 AM
KAN, the Quiet One 1200 pumps about 300 gallons per hour but if you have 4' head loss you will only be pumping about 200 gph. You may want to stick with the return you have and use a couple of powerneads in the tank for flow.

CarmieJo
03-21-2008, 12:25 PM
You don't want to push more water than your overflow can handle or you will pump your sump dry. Less flow through the sump is desirable, just add powerheads to the display to create current in the tank.

Noobeef
03-21-2008, 12:25 PM
My LFS sells RO pre-mixed salt water for 1.10 a gallon. :tongue2:

KAN
03-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks Carmie miss you around here. Well I think I'll get another Nano then there really nice but I didn't think it was enough flow. Now should I worry about the bubble much? it's doesn't get to bad. but if it looks like it's going to be trouble I'm going to get a Mag 3 then and push 288g.

CarmieJo
03-21-2008, 04:15 PM
I think that is s good idea.

KAN
03-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Well I was just looking at some stuff for the tank.
So what do you think of Green Polyp leather coral, brown Toadstool, and yellow Porites coral.
For the tank cleaner side Turbo Snails and a Dwarf Zebra Hermite crab.
For the fish side Ocellaris Clown for now.
I'm just trying to get a mix of all. But I'm not going to get anything soon but the snails.

It's not like I'm pushing my questions here. But I think most people do what I do and skip to bottom to see what's new. Now If you Haven't seen my pick yet here it is.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh38/KAN692/3.jpg

So what you think so far? Think I should get a nice big piece of base rock and put in the middle?

KAN
03-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Not to bad for my phone.

CarmieJo
03-21-2008, 10:14 PM
I think that more rock would be good. Base rock will be just fine if you have other LR to seed it with. I would make some PVC stands like in Amphibious' thread to allow for circulation under the rocks and prevent dead spots.

We had Scott Fellman at our Carolina Aquarium Workshop a few weeks ago, his talk was about aquascaping. He advised against a rock wall and suggested using the rock to create islands or sweeping it, possibly in a curve, from the sand to the top of the tank. I really enjoyed it and did some rearranging as a result.

KAN
03-22-2008, 08:25 AM
I would make some PVC stands like in Amphibious' thread to allow for circulation under the rocks and prevent dead spots.
Thanks Carmie I'll have to see what i can come up with. Ya did see that on the site some were one time. That's not a bad idea.:thanks:

KAN
03-23-2008, 01:32 PM
well I'm going to start my daily testing now cause it's getting close to when it should just get cycling. Good so her we go.
Ph 7.8
ammonia .5ppm
Nitrite 2.0 Mg/h
Nitrate 10Mg/h

CarmieJo
03-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Those numbers show that you are well on your way! I don't remember if we have talked about it in your thread but don't worry about adjusting the pH at this point in time. It will swing all over while cycling.

V
03-23-2008, 07:24 PM
yeah!@ that!

Just make sure you stir it whilst its cooking, you dont want lumps in your gravy. what, say that again:unsure: opps, i thought this was the cooking network forum! :rotfl:

you getting excited for whats to come yet bud?
this is where you can apply what you learnt from piggybacking on the info train! :up:

KAN
03-23-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm just waiting till it boils. The water won't seem to heat up. oops now look what you got me doing V now it's all green. Did someone say green lets put the stuff in now. :D I'll take what ever the LFS will sell me I'm going to send V the bill.
No I just waiting till everyone tels me it's ok to start putting stuff in. so I'm doing my best to just stop and look at the rock.:o I never noticed how nice it looks.

V
03-23-2008, 08:12 PM
so tell me red neck .... you going to buy a colourful background so you cant see the swamps through that window from the front of the tank...lol :p

KAN
03-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Well I do have a swamp in the back yard and cane see it from my window. :tongue2:

I was thinking of that today when I did my water test. I think when I go out to get some base rock to add to the tank I'll get a black back ground to put on it. I don't really want to paint the tank. Cause if this one goes good I'm thinking of getting a tank around 80g or so. And when I finish the add on to my room I might put the tanks in like a pop out wall to separate the two rooms. With the 29g on top of the the big one and down feed into the big tank. But for now I'm going to think small. Carmie gave me a good way to make it look better and help with dead spots. I think I'm going to make a big cave in the middle.

KAN
03-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Ph 7.8
Ammonia .5ppm
Nitrtite .5mg/l
Nitrate10mg/l

KAN
03-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Those numbers show that you are well on your way! I don't remember if we have talked about it in your thread but don't worry about adjusting the pH at this point in time. It will swing all over while cycling.

Oo sorry Carmie didn't see your post cause of V. Thanks ya I saw that some were. I not worry about Ph to much any way It's low but was in the safe zone.:up:

KAN
03-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Ph 7.8
Ammonia .25 - .5 ppm
Nitrite .25 Mg/L
Nitrate 10 Mg/L

Come on all ready.:fish:

KAN
03-26-2008, 02:08 PM
PH7.8
Ammonia .25 PPM
Nitrite .25 Mg/L
Nitrate 5 Mg/l

Well I got the tunze nano skimmer coming and a refractometer. O and a seachem test kit to. I think I might be getting wrong ammonia readings.

Skurvey Dog
03-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Hello Kan! Yeppers, you're on your way, that nitrate is eating and adjusting to your NH3 and NO2 levels. It's a matter of hanging tough right now. Let the tank do what it's designed to do. :up: All a matter of the food chain. :rotfl: Supply and demand, ya know? The initial cycle is the hardest part waiting, just so you can later deal with the diatom bloom. :-) I can smell that clean salt water and hear that skimmer humming. And, V was mentioning the back of the tank.... are you gonna paint the back glass black or leave it au nautrale to let the coraline cover it with time? I wish that I had painted the back of my 90 black now. Too little, too late now. It would of pulled the viewers eye to the LR and maintained the contact in MHO. I may yet try to pull that off somehow.

KAN
03-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi Lori. No I'm not going to paint the tank. I'm going to get a black back ground for the tank. Cause I'm not quit sure where the tank is going to go when I move it. I might put it in the middle of the room. Or I might Paint it and put it near the wall.
But if I went to paint it what paint should I use and how?

KAN
03-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Ph 7.8
Ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrite 0 Mg/L
Nitrate 10 Mg/L

NaClFinatic
03-27-2008, 08:03 PM
I tried latex paint and that kinda peeled off so I bought paint at the craft store that was made for glass and cermic. It was little bottles and took a few to cover the back of my 90 but it stays on well. I even use my magflaot on the back without issue.

Skurvey Dog
03-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Hello Kan. Alot of people like to spray paint the back glass, but since you are up and running I'd do the next best thing. Use a paint roller. You can go to Lowes or HD and pick up paint specifically for glass/metal. Make sure you clean the glass well with a vinegar and water solution to prep the glass before you paint it. I also saw a post where some one also used a clear adhesive over the paint to seal it. It's always better to put several thin coats on something versus one or two thick coats. :up:

KAN
03-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Ph 7.8
Ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Well the skimmer and the other stuff is coming on Tuesday.:fish: So I hope no more then 2 weeks to go. I want to get the clean up crew in there before I got to go back to work. Then when summer comes I'm going to start working on putting coral and fish in there when I got the money to do it.

KAN
03-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Ph 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 Mg/L

Skurvey Dog
03-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Sounds like a game plan Kan. Hang in there , Friday is on the way! (figuratively speaking) All good things take time and are worth the time and effort! Not too much longer until your initial cycle is complete. Once it has achieved it's climatic, oooohhhh, that was good for me and you, you can begin to slowly add your clean up crew and future additions. Remember, everything you add, the system must be able to catch up with and balance out the bio load, so everything must be done slowly in increments. :up:

KAN
03-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Ph 7.8 - 8.0
Ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 Mg/L

KAN
03-31-2008, 03:25 PM
Ph7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 Mg/L

KAN
04-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Ph 7.8
Nitrate 20Mg/L

KAN
04-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Well I just tested the water with both test kits and found out that my Nitrate test is no good. That it has been giving me a high reading.:slap:
Ph 8.1
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 1Mg/L

:fish:

V
04-02-2008, 10:28 PM
its unusual for just one reagent to go bud, they are all kept in the same spot under the same conditions & not subject to light or heat?

KAN
04-02-2008, 10:29 PM
ya I know I thought the same to but the Seachem does take some chemical know how.

V
04-03-2008, 02:20 AM
with painting your background, it could be a potential gamble doing it after the fact. You have water in there already, & fumes alone would be enough to make me think twice at this point, let alone splatter. Simple transitional blue background film id suggest from the LFS, cost you like $6 for that & if you cut it to exacting shape would look sweet without many hassles. Just some quality tape at the rim side cause you dont want water & hence salt creep between the tank & background. Thats my suggestion after the fact anyways., Ether that or leave it clear so you 'can' see them gaters out the back! :tongue2:

KAN
04-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Thanks V I'll do that. When i get around to it. Next week I should be going out to get the stuff to make the tank look better.

KAN
04-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Ph 8.2
Nitrate 1Mg/L

Ok I stopped using the other test kit. But I'm going to keep it to use, it as say a quick test. But I'm going to use seachem as my weekly test kit. After the tank is done cycling.

KAN
04-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Well it getting just about that time and I have been looking around for my cleanup crew. A big Thanks to Amphibious for showing me to his friend. Well here is what i found a pack for Nano http://reefscavengers.com/nanocrew.html. So here is what is in their let me know what you all think,
10 Juvenile Nerite Snails
10 Nassarius Snails
5 Juvenile Stocky Snails
5 Dwarf White Leg Hermits
5 Blue Leg Hermits
1 Juvenile Porcelain Crab
1 Juvenile Pencil Urchin
1 Juvenile Green Emerald Crab
1 Juvenile Lettuce Nudibranch

KAN
04-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Ph8.2
Nitrate 1Mg/L

KAN
04-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Ph 8.1
Nitrate 1 Mg/l

V
04-07-2008, 03:27 AM
sweet, not a bad pic at all from the phone bud!

Although you have your base rock spread wide, im cool with that, but latter if you choose to add more i can see a full on wall happening! :unsure:

RB's on the money there bud with those book, they are definately "the" corner stone collection, we grew up with those aquarius on the for-front of the hobby / science.

doctorthompson
04-07-2008, 05:12 AM
Good deal. You may(or may not) find that you want 2 of the Koralias so you can point thm at each other and create more chaotic flow.

You can go quite a bit higher too, I use 2 Korialia 3's (850gph each) in my 37, same dimensions as a 29 just a bit taller, although it took some finessing to keep the sandbed from "lifting off". Both are about halfway down on each side panel, aimed at the top opposite third of the tank(if that makes sense, they generally intersect in the middle of the tank and the flow goes wild from there). Between those pumps and not having any rock against the back or side walls I rarely see any detritus settling anywhere (other than the skimmer, which gets ample opportunities thanks to the flow)

Skurvey Dog
04-07-2008, 07:13 AM
Looks good Kan and you are well on your way. I did notice that the rocks "looked" a little close to the sides of the tank. They may not be, but you might have a hard time keeping the glass there clean if you were planning on doing that to the sides too. Just a thought. :love!:

KAN
04-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks everyone. I going to move the rocks all around like Carmie posted. I got the pvc and every thing. So some time this week I'm going to pull all the the rock out and put in buckets for a day and start making the pvc all up and get the rock back in by the end of the day. Then I'm going to wait a week to see if it starts a cycle again. But if I get every thing done fast and plane every thing out before I do it. I plane on the rock only being out of water for like 10min. I don't think I'm going to add any more rock to the tank. I want to leave some room for good flow around it but I'll have to think that one out. But I could take some rock from my sump and put in the tank I got a few big pieces in there. So if I do that then I get some more rock for the sump then but got allot in there any way. Wow speaking of sump I got to get around to finishing that. Maybe I'll get some acrylic and put a sand bed in it to.

KAN
04-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Ph 8.1
Nitrate 1 Mg/l

Well I didn't get around to doing a water test yesterday. But no big deal not then changed any way.

Skurvey Dog
04-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Kan, I think if you pull the water out of your tank to fill the buckets that you will put the LR in while you do your PVC work, you shouldn't have a mini cycle. It doesn't take long at all to do the PVC. :up:

KAN
04-08-2008, 06:20 PM
I tried to move the rock all around today and I couldn't seem to get the rock to hold on to pvc with the Hold Fast Epoxy Aquarium Systems Hold Fast Epoxy (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Maintenance > Epoxy ) (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~AS4711.html). I got one of the rocks to sit nice on the pvc.

KAN
04-08-2008, 06:41 PM
I just checked out Amphibious' 135 gal Reef page. Maybe I see if I can find some flat base rock to put on top of the pvc stands. Now dose any one have any suggestions on the type of glue to hold the rock together.

KAN
04-08-2008, 07:26 PM
I was just thinking. Now what if I took and got some rough tile and put on top of the pvc? If the tile would be safe to put in the tank?

Skurvey Dog
04-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Kan, a lot of reefers like to use a LR called "shelf rock", it is LR that is flat life a shelf. Also, if you had larger, flatter pieces of LR and used all of those for your "base" support. Many reefers like to drill holes in the LR and run rods through them to stabalize them , along with zip ties. I personally, only use "hold fast" to attach frags in my tank. I have no experience with any epoxy compounds. Perhaps others here can guide you into that area. Exactly how are you using the PVC? It would give everyone a better idea of exactly what you were trying to do here.

KAN
04-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Well I was trying to get the rock to stand up on the pvc. Which is kinda hard if you don't have some thing to build off of. The way I was doing it was tried to figurer out how it would sit then tried to get it so sit on the pvc. Then just took and tried to pile the rock on top of each other. I was thinking of using the light defuser, as like make a shelf out of it. But it don't seem to be that to strong to hold much of the rock anyway.
I'll have to see if I can find some "shelf rock". Now I think I saw rodes like your talking about to hold the rock. But can you get those at HD, or Lowe's?

Skurvey Dog
04-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Yes, you can get the rods at HD or Lowes. I could not find exactly what I was looking for at my local hardware stores, so I had to think outside of the box, if you will. I purchased acrylic rods that were used to place signs in the yard for like signs and markers. I took those and cut them down to the sizes that I needed. Just use your imagination, but be sure to only use aquarium safe rods.... no metals, ect, only plastics and acrylic if you will.

KAN
04-10-2008, 05:02 PM
I just went to LFS store today, they just got in some new rock and they had shelf rock. So when I get time this weekend I going to take every thing out again and put all my stands in. Then start placing all the rock and see how good it all going to stay.

Skurvey Dog
04-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Well, I know it sounds like it'll be a big pain in the lower regions, but it is the way to go. That flat rock will make the perfect foundation for the rest of your aquascaping my friend. You'll be amazed at how much easier it will be. :up:

KAN
04-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Well I was going to do Aragocrete. But when I went to the LFS to see what a bag of sand would be I saw they had shelf rock and last time when I was there all they had was base rock. so I did a whole thread in DIY on this and found allot of information on it to. When I go to do a bigger tank I would like to do some thing more hands on with it.

CarmieJo
04-12-2008, 09:52 PM
I just piece my rock together without using any stick-um type of stuff. It is kind of like working a puzzle.

KAN
04-25-2008, 06:46 PM
I have been busy lately. With it been nice out. I just got the rock all set up on PVC stands with shelf rock. I'll post a pick as soon as I get some stuff done to the tank. Maybe tomorrow.

KAN
04-25-2008, 06:51 PM
I got it all to work out. Just like you said Carmie like working a puzzle. I only have a couple of small rocks on the sand in the middle. But I think it looks ok now. I'll post a pik soon.

KAN
04-30-2008, 10:01 PM
well here it is.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh38/KAN692/Tank2.jpg
Ya I know I took some time getting it uploaded. But I got my Driver's License. Ahh who cares with the way gas is. I don't think I need to add any more rock it kinda fills the whole tank up now.

V
04-30-2008, 11:32 PM
what, as in see you latter, but no show? :huh:

Yeah what blows, i waiting for days for an update..lol

What are you testing for, not just those 2?

I like your rockwork, whats red in those platforms?

V
04-30-2008, 11:33 PM
i just came from your other thread, these 2 could almost be merged into one yeah?

good to see ya anyways redneck! Hope you've been keeping well!

KAN
05-01-2008, 10:14 AM
what, as in see you latter, but no show? :huh:

Yeah what blows, i waiting for days for an update..lol

What are you testing for, not just those 2?

I like your rockwork, whats red in those platforms?

Sorry V I know I keep telling myself that I had to take the pick and get it uploaded. I wanted to get the blue back ground on first and move the skimmer in to the sump. By that time it was to bright out to take the pick. Cause the setting sun comes in my back window of my room.

No when I do a water test I test for the main 4 I could test for just about all of them.

The red stuff is the rock. The rock is red and white. I thought it look kinda cool. The one big one looked so good I all most did want to put it in the tank. Now when I got the rock I asked the lady about if it would be safe to put in a SW tank and she ask me "Why put it in the tank? I should be using base rock." When I told her what I was doing with it she said it should be okay. But she said "raising the rock up of the sand wouldn't help that much and the rock would most likely fall and break my tank."

CarmieJo
05-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Kan,congrats on the license! The aquascape looks nice!

BTW, if you want to merge your threads just shoot me a PM with the links.

V
05-02-2008, 11:49 PM
I thought that was a custom solid platform actually.

Whats the rock made from, limestone or something?

asteticly>? it looks alittle high but it doesn't matter cause things will settle 7 move soon enough anyways. but yeah, safety is paramount, if its not stable or the rock is prone to crumbling id be asking the question.

You definately got some nice pieces to work with in there bud! Nice find!

KAN
05-03-2008, 09:24 AM
I don't Know what the rock is. But man I had to clean it off rely good with RO/DI water. It had this brownish, reddish dust all over it.

KAN
05-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Kan,congrats on the license! The aquascape looks nice!

BTW, if you want to merge your threads just shoot me a PM with the links.

Thx carmie for moving every thing. This will do did was thinking to put in in the other. But I think I will wait to my tank is doing ok. Then start a new 1 and push my web space then. Since I don't have to much to post on it. I should take some time and finish it. :thanks: Opps did see that last part about the links.

CarmieJo
05-04-2008, 12:09 AM
No problem, that is what we are here for!

KAN
05-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Maybe I should post a pick of the tank soon. Huh V? Ok the lvls have been good ph came up to 8.2 and been staying there others 0.

Now should I test for the others like ca or just let them go at this point?

It's been a good 2 maybe 3 weeks now so it looks like next week I will be getting some of the clean up crew to get the tank going. But I think I'm going to hold off on getting most of it till I go to get corals and my 2 fish.

CarmieJo
05-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Hi Keith,

I would not worry about adjusting Ca or alk until you are ready to start adding critters,

KAN
05-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Well I was going to take a pick after I cleaned the tank and did my water change. When I went to go make my water. The RO/DI all it gave me was what was in the holding tank.:mad: So I took it all apart looking for a clog:madmad: But it was the auto-shut off stuck closed. :agree:Good thing I had another one. So it working now better then it did. No more buzzing noise when it goes to shut off. :up: So when I do my water test later I'll post a pick.

KAN
05-23-2008, 03:31 PM
well heres the tank as it is now.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh38/KAN692/tank523.jpg

Sorry it took some time. But I couldn't seem to get on to the site for a few days. I think it was down.

KAN
05-23-2008, 03:36 PM
I was thinking on moving the rock around one more time and redo my pvc pipes. I think the pvc is kinda small and if I have any thing dig in to the sand might cause all the rock to fall.

CarmieJo
05-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Things are looking good. I think that 2" PVC is a good idea. Check out Amphibious' tank journal http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/member-tank-projects/412-amphibious-135-gal-reef.html has great directions on this.