PDA

View Full Version : My 40 gal

dfisch1
01-28-2008, 02:38 PM
I am getting things together to start my first reef in several years. Before I left for college I had several tanks up. When I left I sold all my stuff for tuition money. Now that I have completed most of my schooling I am setting up a new tank. Money is tight so I will taking my time to do this new tank. I will post pics as I complete things and get new toys.

dkone
01-28-2008, 04:44 PM
It is always exciting setting up a new tank, whether you are new to the hobby of an old timer! I look forwards to seeing some pics once you get things going !

dfisch1
01-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Run down of the goodies so far.
40 gallon breeder All Glass tank
20 gallon All Glass tank converted to a fuge (DIY fun)
2 Aquaclear 30 powerheads (175 GPH each)
Skilter 400 (400 GPH, freebe from a friend)
Glo light T5 HO system with 18K PowerGlo and MarineGlo lights
Gaurdian 300 watt heater
Used 600 GPH overflow box

I will be building the stand for the tank, and getting a new return pump for the fuge in about two weeks. Then the plumbing fun will begin.

dfisch1
02-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Ok. I finally got a day off were I can play with my new tank setup. I just ordered a new RO/DI unit and other goodies. I will be posting pics tomorrow .

dfisch1
02-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Ok got time to add the pics of my project. The first is the bare wall were my tank is going. the second is my tank on my homemade stand. It is relativly high for a stand but my wife and I are both over 6 foot so high is no problem for us. Number three is my fuge and isolation tanks. That monster of PVC is my power strip. Finally we have my little tank Gremlin (aka Christina, Wiggles). I will post more pics as I continue to work on my tank.

CarmieJo
02-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Nice, I love the power center! You daughter is a cutie!

dfisch1
02-13-2008, 12:39 AM
The first box on the power center is non-GFI for the water pumps. The number two box is a GFI that controls the rest of the power center. The entire unit is wired with 12/2 wire and designed to handle up to 20 amps of power. The plug that it will be attached to is an independent line in the house wiring, wired as a 20 amp circuit. Once I get things together I will put the power center in the DYI forum. If you need instructions sooner PM me and I will send it to you.

dfisch1
02-13-2008, 11:00 PM
I must be living right. I got a Coral Vue 175watt 14K MH from a friend for 100 bucks. It had been fired for only one month. Guess that means I have to build a canopy to house it in. Will post pics.

bryan ayo
02-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Looking good!!!! I cant wait to see that canopy in action..The breeder i got from you is going to wk perfect,all my gear is going to fit now!!!!

V
02-14-2008, 08:03 AM
welcome to the site bud! you have a great template to start, should be good for you,( & us) as you build the things. If your short on knowledge for something don't be afraid to yell out, alot of talent on the site!

You think that big fish you have there will look different if there water in the tank...lol

I noticed it near a door that swings towards it! Door stopper sorted?

dfisch1
02-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Yeah it is near a door. The handle for the door is lower than the tank, and it is further out then the edge of the stand. The bottom of the tank is 44 inches off the ground. Chissy would have loved there to be water in the tank.

bryan ayo
02-14-2008, 10:20 PM
waters good in a reef tank!!!

V
02-15-2008, 12:51 AM
narr, waters highly over rated, next time im getting glass blown corals $2 shop mechanical fish, cheaper & would have paid itself off in 2 days..lol

dfisch1
02-18-2008, 12:48 AM
New pic time. I got a few things done this week with my tank. I built and attached a self supported canopy that will house a 175 watt 14K Metal Halide, and 4 470nm moonlights. I have also upgraded my skimmer and redesigned my fuge plumbing.

I re-plumbed the fuge. I thought that 540 GPH through the fuge would be a bit much so I set up the plumbing so that I have a flow to the fuge and an outlet that would act as a closed loop. Each of the outlet's flow is regulated by a ball value.

I have removed the skilter 400 that was given to me and upgraded to an Aqua Medic Turbofloater multi SL. I have also added a small 10K PC on the fuge. I have ordered a fluidized media filter that I will use to run either carbon, phosban, or nitrate sponge. I might later add on more beds, but for now I have a 90 GPH pump that should be fine for one fluidized chamber. I have also used eggcrate to make a ring around the perimeter of the tank in order to guard against jumpers. The center of the screen is open in order to allow the maximum amount of light in.

bryan ayo
02-18-2008, 01:34 AM
i like that skimmer...thats going to work!

CarmieJo
02-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Nice! The whole thing is really coming together now.

dfisch1
02-19-2008, 12:26 AM
I have made a auto top off unit using help from my local reef club. I have made some mods to the design to better suit me. The major addition to the origenal plans were homemade snail guards. I will be working on a DIY if anyone would like to make one similar to mine.

rroselavy
02-19-2008, 01:18 AM
Hey Doug-

Your projects looking sweet. Love the 40g Br. dimensions. You really have DIY in your blood. I'm envious.

Two questions:

1) Why do the pumps go on the non-GFCI outlet? So circulation is not cut off when the GFCI trips?

2) How are you going to keep the little one out of your sump/fuge? Will the stand be enclosed?

Anyway, looks great...

dfisch1
02-19-2008, 01:58 AM
I have had GFIs trip when brown outs happen, and they usually happen when I am at work. This way if the GFI does trip while I am at work I will not loose curculation. I am not worried about heat because it does not get that cold here in Louisiana. For now Chrisy does not go near my stuff, because mommy will not let her. I am going to cover three sides with 1/4 plexy. I will henge and lock the front of the stand. I like the exposed look of the fuge. I will be posting DIY very soon.

dfisch1
02-20-2008, 02:32 AM
OK. I will leave it up to a vote from the community. I am to the point were I can get sand and rock in my tank and get things up and running. However, I will graduate in May. I might have to move after I graduate and am having a hard time trying to decide if I should go ahead and set things up. Please help me and submit your vote.

rroselavy
02-20-2008, 04:46 AM
OK. I will leave it up to a vote from the community. I am to the point were I can get sand and rock in my tank and get things up and running. However, I will graduate in May. I might have to move after I graduate and am having a hard time trying to decide if I should go ahead and set things up. Please help me and submit your vote.

Hmm...I was in the same boat last Fall, with the possibility of selling our house in order to move to a better school district. I was setting up the 55g with a DSB, so it wasn't any easy decision since you will forfeit any DSB progress by moving. I then decided to just do it, and then the writer strike happened which made it a bad time for us to move. Decision has been made to stay put, so it looks like my DSB will live for at least 1-2 more years...

It is hard to understand you situation, but if there is a decent possibility that you will stay, I vote for you to set up the tank - but perhaps without a DSB until you know for sure...

dfisch1
02-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Ok. I talked my wife into letting me set up my tank. I will post pics as I do.

dfisch1
02-20-2008, 10:21 PM
The worst part about setting up the tank is waiting for it to fill with water.

dfisch1
02-22-2008, 12:42 AM
Sand (Check)
Water (Check)
Salt (Check)
LR (Pic up tomarrow)
Hours and Hours of fun and maxed out credit cards (coming shortly)

dfisch1
02-22-2008, 03:19 AM
Sand in and Water running. Here are some pics. Rock will be here tomorrow and I will fallow with pics shortly.

V
02-22-2008, 10:32 AM
sweet bud, its coming along as it should yeah!

credit, sheesh, what ever happened to the cash society ?? lol

The world has passed me by ...ether that or i was meant to be born in 1930 something mafia times:cool:

dfisch1
02-23-2008, 12:52 AM
The Rock has landed. I got 70 pounds of live rock from a friend of mine at a LFS. The rock looks great. There is already lots of color on it. Yes I know most of it will die as it cures. Some of the rock looks amazingly like Walt Smith rock. Once the water clears I will post pics. I feel like a kid at Christmas and Santa brought me large lumps of rock. Thank you Santa.

dfisch1
02-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Ok, the tank has cleared enough to take some pics.
First Full Tank Shot with just the T5s.
Second Third and Four Different close ups of the rock stacks in my tank. The left side actually wraps around to the side of the tank so that you have something to look at from the newly moved couch.
Fifth The Fuge running with a modest amount of rubble I might add to later.

All told there is 73 pounds of LR in a 40 gal tank.
I am all about the bio filter.

CarmieJo
02-24-2008, 12:17 AM
Doug, very nice! I like the foreground background layers of the aquascape.

dfisch1
02-24-2008, 12:22 AM
That open spot in the center is the future home of a very lucky clam. :up:

I am a man of many talents.

Sea in the City Orlando
02-24-2008, 04:08 AM
Very nice. I really like the stand setup and you've even got a mermaid in your tank! Lucky guy! :)

Coreyz
02-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Congratulations on your new tank set up my friend! And V I still like to barter with salt tablets like back in the day my friend... who needs cash right? :D

dfisch1
02-26-2008, 12:21 AM
I got some new toys in the mail today (sorry no pics). I got a dual inline TDS meter for my RO/DI system. My favorite new toy is a digital temp controller. I love the audible alarm that sounds when the temp goes higher then the one you set, it then shuts off power to the heater in order to preserve the temp.

dfisch1
03-03-2008, 11:39 PM
It has been awhile since I have done anything with my tank, but I added some new stuff today. My live rock is now cured but I am still in the process of completing the initial nitrogen cycle. To aid in this I got some macro algae from a friend today. The veg should have a lot of little pods in it since my friend added a container of copepods to the fuge just the other day.

dfisch1
03-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Sorry for the quality of the pics, I have not cleaned the fuge tank glass. The specs you see are some sand I stirred up when moving to macro.

dfisch1
03-04-2008, 10:22 PM
My DIY fun never stops. I got tired of fighting with test tubes when checking my water, so I built a rack from some left over eggcreate and PVC glue. Works nice.

I had to cut large holes due to the size of my tubes. If I was thinking ahead I would have made it better but it works for now.

Sea in the City Orlando
03-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Nice, red and green gracillaria and ulva? My tangs want to be your best friend! I'd love to see a pic of you DIY rack:)

rroselavy
03-05-2008, 01:55 AM
Nice, red and green gracillaria and ulva? My tangs want to be your best friend! I'd love to see a pic of you DIY rack:)

I could see that the growth forms were similar, but I didn't know there was such a thing as green Gracilaria. Cool.

dfisch1
03-05-2008, 05:57 PM
I HAVE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I looked into my fuge today and saw some anthopods swimming around in the tank. I also have some type of small transparent anemone growing on some of my macro algae.

PhotoJohn
03-06-2008, 12:13 AM
thats interesting!

bryan ayo
03-13-2008, 09:31 AM
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa275/mybluelab/018.jpg

I heard u quit the store and went to work at the zoo...How that going...Ya need to stop by and get some frags for your new tank.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa275/mybluelab/021.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa275/mybluelab/038.jpg

dfisch1
03-18-2008, 09:12 PM
I just put in the first inhabitants in my tank. I added about 30 snails and 30 hermit crabs to the tank. Once they all get settled in I will post some pics.

dfisch1
03-22-2008, 07:55 PM
I have been very busy lately with switching jobs, but that has not affected my tank time. I added some corals over the last coulpe of days. I also added a pair of ORA Brown Saddle-back Clowns.

CarmieJo
03-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Looking good. I like those clowns!

dfisch1
03-29-2008, 08:29 PM
I have added some new inhabitants to my tank over the last couple of days. I add a orange diamond gobie to the tank. I has tank two or three days but he is finally out and swimming in the open. I also have added a six line wrasse. I put him in yesterday and he is a little stressed still. He is laying on the sand breathing kind of hard but he should be fine in a day or two. I have added an orange recordia and some blue shooms to the tank. The water parameters are settling down nicely.

CarmieJo
04-01-2008, 01:17 AM
Nice additions. I always encourage people to use a QT tank. It allows new fish time to recover from being transported and prevents introducing disease or parasites into your tank.

CarmieJo
04-01-2008, 01:17 AM
Nice additions. I always encourage people to use a QT tank. It allows new fish time to recover from being transported and prevents introducing disease or parasites into your tank.

dfisch1
04-08-2008, 08:19 AM
It has been awhile sence I posted some pics of my tank. So here are some new ones.