PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Temp Change - reducing Actinics

john0087
01-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Hi All,

I have been running 2x65w duel actinics and 2x65w dual daylights (6700K and 10000K) PC lighting over my 48" 60gal tank.

Thus far, my 2 LPS corals and 1 RBTA have been thriving, but I think I am going to change the lighting to add a little more PAR.

I am leaning towards the follwoing combination and would like to hear your opinions.

2x65w 50/50 (actinics and 10000K daylight)
2x65w 6700 daylight

I am thinking that this will add significant PAR and "brighten" the apparence of the tank, but I am concerend that it will look to yellow. Will I have enough blue to balance the light?

I know it is pretty subjective, but I would hate to spend $100+ is lighting to not like the look of the system.

Thanks!

JOhn

Phurst
01-17-2008, 09:57 PM
IMO anything lower than 10k looks too yellow to me, even when suplimented with actinics. That arrangement will certainly give more PAR, but at the cost of aesthetics, again IMO.

What are the color temps available in the 65w PCs?

dkone
01-18-2008, 12:57 AM
I certainly appreciate wanting a better look! When I used to run PC's, I had 4 x 96w 10K and 2 x 96w Actinics. The configuration used to be 10K's at the back, actinic's in middle, 10K's front. A fellow reefer suggested I move the actinics to the "front" and I was surprised at how just putting the actinic light "infront" of the 10K's from a viewing perspective changed the look of the tank!

You did say your LPS and RBTA so they certainly seem happy with the amount of lighting you are providing for them so far. Did you measure your PAR with a meter and are not happy with the results? I do agree that anything less that 10K is going to look dull and perhaps yellowed.

john0087
01-18-2008, 01:16 AM
What are the color temps available in the 65w PCs?

Options for 65W PC lighting are pretty much limited to

"white" style
10K Daylight
6700K Daylight
Duel Daylights (10K/6700K)

"Actinic" style
Actinic 03 (420nm lights)
7100K (460nm lights ~ suposedly brighter and more intence blue than the 03, but a lot less florecences is brought out in the corals)
Duel Actinic (420/460)

"50/50" style
10K/03
10000K/7100 (460nm)

John

john0087
01-18-2008, 01:34 AM
I certainly appreciate wanting a better look! When I used to run PC's, I had 4 x 96w 10K and 2 x 96w Actinics. The configuration used to be 10K's at the back, actinic's in middle, 10K's front. A fellow reefer suggested I move the actinics to the "front" and I was surprised at how just putting the actinic light "infront" of the 10K's from a viewing perspective changed the look of the tank!

You did say your LPS and RBTA so they certainly seem happy with the amount of lighting you are providing for them so far. Did you measure your PAR with a meter and are not happy with the results? I do agree that anything less that 10K is going to look dull and perhaps yellowed.

Yeah, my LPS and RBTA are doing quite well, but I wanted to keep an LPS that my LFS recomends "Moderate MH in the 4-5wpg range" Vivid Aquariums - Buy Online - Fish Store in Los Angeles - Buy Dazzling Lord Acanthastrea (Acanthastrea lordhowensis) - Two Polyps: (http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=02-2101-10)

Know I have enough experience to know that wpg is not the best indicator of light intensity, and I have 4.33wpg in a fairly short tank (17"), but I also know that watt for wat, MH are far more intense. I was thinking that by increasing my daylight lighting, I could help compensate for the PC lighting.

I was also toying with the idea of keeping a monti sps at the very top of tank and a squamosa (ok with PC as far as I know). But maybe I might have to nix the monti.

I was thinking on my drive home that maybe placing the actinic 50/50 in the front of the tank would help the look.

How does this configuration sound

2x65w duel daylight (6700/10000K)
2x65w 50/50 (10000K/7100K)

i have read that the 6700 daylights are the brightest lights, but yellow. The 7100 are very bright blue, rather than the purple of the 03 actinics, but they do not provide the florescences that the 03 does, but my corals right now really don't have a lot of florescnence in them as it is.

Thanks!

John

dkone
01-18-2008, 04:34 AM
Hi John.

>>> 2x65w duel daylight (6700/10000K)
>>> 2x65w 50/50 (10000K/7100K)

Well, with PC, this certainly would give you a bright tank, with the 10K's and hopefully your desired PAR with the 6700's. I am not familiar enough with 7100K PC's to say how blue they are - but, if they are as blue as you state then it could look good. (still a bit worried it may be a little yellow, but, what can you do, you need the PAR, the brightness and are limited by PC).

Even from the website you listed,
Acanthastrea corals require moderate water currents and lighting provided by metal halides to maintain their color.

From doing some additional digging, it seems that you certainly can get away with PC lighting for these, especially as your tank is shallow and they are remarkable at adapting to different conditions. However T5/HQi would certainly be better - some upgrades for you to consider down the road! Good flow, don't blast them off the rocks, and the occaisonal supplimental feeding.

Warm Regards and good luck ! sounds like your tank is going to be great !