PDA

View Full Version : Glass Chip

IAreef
01-11-2008, 12:53 AM
I haven't even gotten my first tank up and running and I'm already looking at buying a second...:up:.... The tank is a 75g AGA the "problem" is it has a small glass chip on one of the corners. It's about 3/4's of an inch tall where the front and left side come together. Its not all the way through the glass but it is close it feels solid when you press on it. It is a tank that is about 6 months old pre-drilled the owner wants $60 for it can I trust the tank? Is it possible or necessary to replace the front glass any thoughts are appreciated. I didn't think to take my camera tonight when I went to look but I can get a picture if anyone thinks it would help.

Phurst
01-11-2008, 10:20 AM
To me, that's right on the edge of "iffy". The glass panels can be replaced, but in all honesty, it's usualy easier, and nearly as cheap to replace the tank.

Here's what I'd do. The price is right, so it's worth figuring out. If you can get a pic, send it to the crew at WetWebMedia. The have at least a couple of current or former tank builders on staff, and will be able to give you a better idea of if the tank is safe. They will usually answer questions the same day, so give it a shot.

nay,kid
01-11-2008, 06:07 PM
I work in a glass shop and I agree that if it does need replacing your better off buying a whole new tank. glass is not cheap. If you can post a pic I might be able to assess the chip.

poppin_fresh
01-11-2008, 09:05 PM
my LFS has a 180 with a good size ding taken out of a corner. Two years later (with a Tunze Wavebox running the whole time) no problems thus far. Not all chips are a deal breaker...

IAreef
01-13-2008, 12:40 AM
ok picture should be up by tomorrow but in the mean time he let me bring the tank home and fill it with water, its on my patio now, he said if it breaks it wasn't meant to be and if it lasts it's already at my house. Any thoughts on how long I should let it sit with water in it before I consider it "safe" for use.

Seahorsedreams
01-13-2008, 12:46 AM
I'll wait for that pic before I say anything.

*zips her lips closed*

IAreef
01-13-2008, 01:15 AM
ok here's the picshttp://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg31/jdbreef/IMG_1676.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg31/jdbreef/IMG_1673.jpg