PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Fragging

graphixx
01-10-2008, 04:59 PM
This is something that I have been doing quite a while now and thought it would be fun to share it with you guys. I will get some pics up to go along with this.

What I am talking about is suspension grow out. And by this I mean taking a coral frag and tethering it to a piece of polyester thread and hanging it from a rod and suspending it in the water.

Sounds strange doesnt it! :huh:

So ask yourself: "why should I give this a try when all I have to do is glue it to a piece of rock?"

Well the advantages of suspension fragging are beneficial.

For one you are going to get a very different growth pattern than just the upright growth of an attached frag.
It also optimizes the flow around the coral and the lighting that it recieves as a whole.
The one thing that I really like about this method is that is uses sooo much unused water in a frag tank!!!
and by optimizing this unused water you are liberating the coral from the influences of shelter and shadow from rockscape, as well as from competators.
This method gives the vunerable divisions further protection from many benthic pests and predators (worms, crabs, encroaching algae). It gives you maximum control over coral colonies from interspecific aggression as well.

I have been reading accounts of other hobbyist practicing this method of propagation. They have reported a very significant increase in the rate of growth. This is something that really caught my attention.

Some of the species that have had very good success with this method are: Pocillapora, (Seriatopora and Slylophora), Agaricids (Pavona), Galaxea, Psammocora and Hyndophora, Acroporas.

I am going to be testing this theory on several diff types of acro and Galaxea and Hyndo.

I will start a log document the rate of growth and will get lots of pics to keep you guys informed of what I find.

Thanks for tagging along.

Greg

Phurst
01-10-2008, 07:21 PM
I gotta tag along for this. It sounds really interesting!

lReef lKeeper
01-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Ahhh !! suspension propagation !! another tag along ... not many liked it over there, but here i think it will get a much better following.

graphixx
01-10-2008, 09:01 PM
I have a lot more stuff now. I have some pics that I have taken over a period of time on 2 particular pieces one is a digitata and the other a birdsnest the growth is almost twice as fast as a mounted frag. pretty neat

CarmieJo
01-12-2008, 12:56 AM
I will be following along too!

stevek
01-15-2008, 05:52 PM
This does sound interesting. How do you keep stuff from blowing around into each other?
Steve

graphixx
01-15-2008, 06:55 PM
I keep them spaced about 4 inches apart and at different depths the furthes frag to the right is about 2 inches below water and the next over is about 3 inches below water and so on and so fourth

Phurst
01-19-2008, 12:34 PM
I have a lot more stuff now. I have some pics that I have taken over a period of time on 2 particular pieces one is a digitata and the other a birdsnest the growth is almost twice as fast as a mounted frag. pretty neat

Greg, did you find the photos? I'd be really interested in seeing them.

wildeone
01-19-2008, 01:22 PM
I am anxious as well. I have never heard of suspension fragging, but it does seem it does have benefits over the other ways.

dkone
01-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Sounds interesting, I can't wait to hear of some of the results!

CarmieJo
01-19-2008, 06:50 PM
I have heard of (Borneman, perhaps) doing this when collecting wild corals until he is ready to return home because it improves survivability.

thesaent14
01-20-2008, 12:52 AM
where are the :pic: :evil:

CarmieJo
01-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Here is the article I was referring to. The Holding, Shipping and Transport of Corals, Part 1: Shipping and Transport by Eric Borneman - Reefkeeping.com (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-11/eb/index.php) The part about suspending the frags is about 1/2 way down under corroboratory stories.

doctorthompson
01-20-2008, 04:43 AM
Here is the article I was referring to. The Holding, Shipping and Transport of Corals, Part 1: Shipping and Transport by Eric Borneman - Reefkeeping.com (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-11/eb/index.php) The part about suspending the frags is about 1/2 way down under corroboratory stories.

Anthony Calfo covers this in his Book of Coral Propagation (recently got my author-signed copy of the newly released 2nd edition (http://www.readingtrees.com/sales_bocp.html)! w00t!) as well as the following Reefkeeping.com article:

Coral Culture in Suspension by Anthony Calfo - Reefkeeping.com (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/ac/feature/index.php)

CarmieJo
01-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks Lucas. Good article. I asked for the new Calfo book for Christmas, sent my guys the pre-order link, and didn't get it. :( Guess I'll have to pay $20 more to get it now.

doctorthompson
01-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks Lucas. Good article. I asked for the new Calfo book for Christmas, sent my guys the pre-order link, and didn't get it. :( Guess I'll have to pay $20 more to get it now.

Still well worth it for the new illustrations and gorgeous new photos.

graphixx
01-21-2008, 03:43 PM
I apologize for the lack of pics. right now is kinda crazy time at the house. my 400 gallon in wall is coming down in order to get my house ready to sell and I am moving into a new house in the next month. once everything settles down I will get them up. and add that up with the fact that I am trying to get my retail fish store open in th e enext month makes for a hectic schedule.

CarmieJo
01-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Boy, you don't have any stress in your life do you?

lReef lKeeper
01-21-2008, 08:30 PM
he is ALWAYS doing something !! i remember when he first got that tank ... i almost had to go to Idaho to help him move the beast !!

graphixx
01-21-2008, 09:22 PM
oh man that would of been AWESOME!!! I told you to come down now. I wil put you up and feed you and STUFF YOUR TRUNK full of frags!!!! you can help me break this one down and set the ones up in the store. I really wish this 400 would work in the new store but I am doing 2 x 210 gallon tanks for the "showpieces"

Bobby, you probably dont have any of the old pics I took from suspension fragging still do you????

lReef lKeeper
01-22-2008, 09:05 AM
sorry, buddy, but i got a new laptop and all old pics are on the old PC that i pieced together from oldER PC parts to get me buy. lol

i will take the HD out of the old computer and hook it to the new new one to see if i can find them.