PDA

View Full Version : mantis shimp suprize

boyesreef
01-08-2008, 09:04 PM
i was cleaning the filter material out of the back of the bio-cube today and found a tiny mantis shrimp! its maybe a half inch long, and has no colors other than dots along its back. i took it out and put it in its own little one gallon tank.:eek: anyone know what to do with it? any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Phurst
01-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Cool! I love my mantis! You might want to check the mantis forum over at Reef Central. They should be able to ID it for you as well as give you suggestions on how to get it to someone who wants it, or what it's requirements are if you'd like to keep it.

boyesreef
01-08-2008, 10:12 PM
ya ,i dont want to keep it due to the horror stories ive heared abot lost tank mates, and possibl busted glass. the only way i can tell its a mantis is the front claws, it keeps itself too curled up to tell anything.

Phurst
01-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Do you have a local reef club, or maybe a LFS that would take it? Otherwise, once you get it IDed, offer it up on RC, someone will take it.

boyesreef
01-08-2008, 10:53 PM
i think i ided it, it looks a lot (almost identical to) Chorisquilla hystrix. no common name.

poppin_fresh
01-08-2008, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the busted glass thing. While a Mantis has the power, you wont find too many stories of it actually happening. I agree that you should find someone who might want to keep it in its own tank. They are cool...if you're into them.

absolutbill
01-09-2008, 07:13 PM
My friend just added a Mantis to his 14 gal Bio Cube as a damsel catcher.... So far it just ate all of the snails and Hermit crabs and took a few swipes at the three damsels.

It is the coolest pet ever! Very interactive especially when fed it rolls over on its back and begs!

Phurst
01-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Mine lives in a 12 with 2 damsels it completely ignores. It is interactive though. It's a cool pet!

boyesreef
01-10-2008, 07:11 AM
i got the local fish store to buy it for twenty bucks store credit. not too shabby if you ask me.

Phurst
01-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Nope, good deal :up:

Astrivian
01-10-2008, 04:45 PM
My complements to you for not killing it. All to often people kill these without a thought. As Pearson mentions, some people do want to keep them as pets.

I hope people follow your example.

boyesreef
01-10-2008, 06:25 PM
ive got this thing about not killing things, if anyone shows any want for my unwanted critter, ill let them have it. if they wannna trade, even better! if i dont want the critter, and noone else shows intrest, ill give it its own one gallon, and let it live its life. thats why i have seven tanks running right now. lol!

CarmieJo
01-11-2008, 10:52 PM
That worked out nicely. I also applaud you for acting in such a responsible manner.

boyesreef
01-12-2008, 04:06 PM
the way i see it, even a "pest" has a right to life. this hobby is hard enough, why let things die needlesly right?