PDA

View Full Version : 29g Oceanic Biocube

luck-of-d-irish
12-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Sorry to bother yall but I have a 29gal. Biocube and was wondering if it has the lighting capability to house different kinds of polyps such as Zoanthus sp.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lReef lKeeper
12-21-2007, 07:46 PM
it is no bother at all, this is why a lot of us are around, to help anyone that needs/wants it. i know that is what keeps me in the hobby.

zoanthids should do great under the PC lighting that i believe those tanks come with. you could also do mushrooms and other softies, and even some large polyp stony corals ... frogspawn, hammers, torch, ect. any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

R. Deschain
12-21-2007, 07:51 PM
I have a BC 14 with probably comparable PC lighting. Zoa's are doing well. I would guess that anything with moderate lighting needs will do well. Higher light organisms such as anemones, clams and SPS will likley need more light.

poppin_fresh
12-21-2007, 08:00 PM
the lightings fine, but the stock flow is a little weak even for softies/lps. A small PH on the other side would help a lot.

luck-of-d-irish
12-21-2007, 09:12 PM
What size shape brand would you recommend?

lReef lKeeper
12-21-2007, 09:14 PM
i think that i remember Carmie saying that she likes the ones from fragglereef.com ...

The Best Nano Pumps, 250gph++, Gate Valve, 3-6w Power Supply - $4.99 : Fraggle Reef, Premium Corals and More (http://www.fragglereef.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2874&zenid=e4c8da143c9cbb131f2e0ae7f5bc42bf)

poppin_fresh
12-21-2007, 09:20 PM
In think even the Korallia K1 would be ok on a 29.

poppin_fresh
12-21-2007, 09:24 PM
although for $5 how could you go wrong buying one or two of those pumps?

CarmieJo
12-22-2007, 01:29 AM
That was my thought as well.

Jasonanatal
12-24-2007, 03:25 AM
Powerheads are such a great addition for increased flow within a Nano Aquarium. On appeal that I was attracted to about the physical design of the Nano Aquariums is that because the equipment such as pumps are contained outside of the display area. This is a great feature to eliminate such events as Anemones or even Nudibranchs from being chopped up by the blades of the Power Head. If you are addicted to Nudibranchs such as myself you may also was to consider purchasing a stronger Pump that you can put in place of the stock pump, space permitting. This can also save you from sacrificing valued real estate from within the Display Area.

luck-of-d-irish
01-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Just a quick question. For some reason right after change the filter cartrige on my BC29 my water flow throught the chambers is perfect, but after a few days of feeding its almost as if the cartrige becomes to fell and the water starts backing up inturn causeing the pump to start belching because of lackof water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CarmieJo
01-23-2008, 09:56 PM
It definitely sounds like the filter cartridge gets clogged. What fish do you have? Do you have live sand and live rock in your tank? If so how much? What are you feeding? How often? How much? What are the parameters?

luck-of-d-irish
01-25-2008, 12:14 PM
I just have all corals except for a Yasahase/Randalli goby shrimp pair a harlequin shrimp that I feed 1 Starfish every 3 weeks to 2 small unidentified crabs that were hitchhikers 1 serpent star 4 hermit crabs 2 snails trochus i think. Corals include several small colonies of zoanthids some palys a volleyball sized piece of green star polyps a torch coral 3 feather dusters and a gonipora. I feed 1 tbls. of each live phytoplankton and rotifers daily plus some frozen brine for my goby maybe a cm square piece daily. Not sure on the water parameters but I do have an amazing coralline algae bloom going on right now with green purple red , and a pale blue color.

luck-of-d-irish
01-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Also I have 20 lbs of live and and 18lbsof liverock.

intheb0x
02-23-2008, 12:10 AM
i also have the 29g biocube
i also noticed it gets full very fast and water starts to drain.
this is a big issue to me as i have a second power head in the third chamber where i have it hooked up to a denitrator. what i did was essentially took the stock filter out of its slot and dropped it in the second chamber, in its place in the slot i have put a poly filter there and lowered it enough to where the water runs through it but also over the top. this means the water is filled to the brim in the second first and third chambers. in the second chamber i also have a heater,liverockrubber and three different types of macro algae including the stock biocube filter just dropped in there.
all works well

aprillynd
03-23-2008, 11:29 AM
I don't have zanthos in my tank, but I do have other items. I believe that if you get strong bulbs that fit in the tank hood you can have them. However, I don't keep them because they are poisonous. I do have sponges, xinia, mushroom coral and green star pollups. If you are still in question, ask your local pet store where you bought the tank, or go to oceanic.com and ask the manufacturer.

keith p
03-24-2008, 10:07 AM
If you are looking to keep your hood and upgrade your lighting, Nanocustoms has a nice package:
nanocustoms (http://www.nanocustoms.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=58)

I would probably also upgrade the stock pump.