PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater safe Magnets?

JasonR
12-20-2007, 02:07 PM
I was wondering if I could buy magnets that are made to be safe to keep underwater (more specifically saltwater). My in sump skimmer has no adjustment neck, it just hangs from the side of the top of the sump. I recently (a month ago) replaced the sump with a refugium but the water level of the refugium is lower than that of how high the water level was in the sump (the sump's first baffle is higher). SO, i was thinking i could place a magnet on the part of the skimmer that is meant to hang on the edge of the sump/refugium, and then place another magnet outside the glass of the refugium. This would effectively allow me to move the skimmer up and down relative to the water level so that I can make the adjustments for wet vs. dry skimming. Do they make magnets that are safe to keep under saltwater? I was thinking of just gluing a large mag-float to the skimmer but they are kinda expensive to not be used as an algae scrapper.

But if anyone knows if magnets are safe for underwater use, please let me know. I'd appreciate it.

Well, now that i think about it I'm going to post in the wanted to buy threads to see if anyone wants to sell me an old, used mag-float for this purpose.

Phurst
12-20-2007, 05:02 PM
These are just like the ones on the Frag-Mags.

Gaussboys Super Magnets :: Epoxy Coated Magnets (http://www.gaussboys.com/magnets/Epoxy-Coated-Magnets/)

JasonR
12-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Genius! A MILLION THANKS!!! Thats exactly what i was looking for :up:

THANK YOU

JasonR
12-20-2007, 10:26 PM
well I also learned an important feature of the board... that is the search feature.. Had I used it I would have found this post from last march: http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/diy-projects/3825-reef-safe-magnets.html

CarmieJo
12-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Yeah and our search works!

JasonR
12-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Just in case anyone else needs a strong magnet for some kind of DIY usage, I was up PetCo with my dog and decided to take a look in their fish department.. They sell a VERY VERY strong and really large magnetic algae block for 10 bucks.. Its MUCH stronger than the mag floats, except these algae magnets don't float, they will sink if they become detached. This was even better in my situation. I just finished clamping my hang on skimmer to the magnet using weld-on #16. I'll let it cure through tomorrow and then i'll have an adjustable in-refugium skimmer.. WOOOT. .I'll be have to move the skimmer up and down relative to the water level to adjust the skimmer's performance in terms of wet or dry skimming. And all i ahve to do to make the adjustment is move the magnet up or down.. easy! I love DIY.. oh btw my refugium is DIY and my MH lights are DIY.. DIY is much funner.

lReef lKeeper
12-23-2007, 10:43 PM
not to mention that DIY saves you a ton of money !! i love DIY projects !!