PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good zoom....

Reefbaby
03-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Hey Guys!!! (Travis????)

Looking for some advice for a tele for our Canon EOS 1Ds. We'd like a zoom starting at around 70-100mm going to 200-300mm. We're looking to spend around $500. Doesn't have to be the fastest AF - would prefer a low f-stop.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks tons! :-)

travis
03-13-2006, 08:30 PM
In the $500 range I would say go with the Canon EF 70-200mm F/4L. A legendary lens for its sharpness, contrast and image quality for the price.

A 1.4x teleconverter will bring it to 280. :)

bubbletip
08-30-2006, 10:12 PM
I own a 70-200f4 and have to say I have never used it to take pics of my tank. Here's why. The minimum focusing distance is 3.5 ft or so. If that is not a problem, I would say go for it. It is a fantastic lens to have if you do not have a zoom to cover this range if you take other pictures other than your tank. It is very inexpensive, but I have to tell you, I am really excited about the new 70-200f4 w/ image stabilization that should be out in the next couple months.

Marauder-m
08-31-2006, 08:48 AM
The minimum focus distance can be reduced with add-on lenses that screw into the filter thread. You can get them in a variety of focal lengths from 1 m (1 diopter) to 20cm (5 diopter).
They tend to soften the image, and dramatically reduce depth of field, so there are disadvantages. But at around $10 each its a whole lot better than spending several hundred $ on a decent macro lense.
I'm hardly an expert in lenses, so comments are welcome.

bubbletip
09-27-2006, 01:09 PM
I have to tell you. Shooting in tanks is tough. there is usually a perfect angle to get sharp photos. Anything off that angle and you are seeing distortion. Just a thought and something I have been doing lately. If you take off your filters you will notice it is easier to find that perfect angle. Any glass in between the tank front and back glass and your lens is making it difficult to reach wanted results.

Anyway, since this forum is about a telephoto zoom, May I suggest a lens in the 18-200 or 28-300 category. Here you are getting an all in one lens making it easier to adjust to what frame you desire. I love my 18-125 and 18-200 by Sigma. Great all purpose lenses, plenty wide and plenty long, pretty close focusing(1:4, 1:5), and reasonably priced.

If you have not purchased a macro yet., I could not recommend a better lens for aquariums. Canon's 100 macro is fantastic, Sigma 150 is wonderful macro focus from a good distance from your subject. The Sigma 150 is great even with a teleconverter. Most of the times i am shooting the 70-200 I am out at 200mm so 150 with a teleconverter gives you two good focal lengths.

RealChange
09-27-2006, 05:35 PM
hi every1,
i got a question. i just bought a cannon rebel xti. im a newb at photo taking and just took 2 gigs worth of krapy photos. while im trying to learn all the settings what would be a good macro lense to get. also ne advice on picture taking would be great.

RealChange
09-27-2006, 05:35 PM
hey does rob have a slr camera? maybe we should do a vidcast on picture taking. that would be awsome.

CarmieJo
09-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Have you listened to the photography podcast? It has some really good advice. After listening to that, the best thing to do is to take tons of images and throw away all the bad shots. You will get better. It can help to record what you did on each shot so you see why you got good or bad images. I considered myself a pretty decent photographer until I started taking photos of my tank. I've had my tank up for almost 10 months, have not gotten any new photo equipment, and now take far better images. Of course I've discarded probably literally thousands of images.

Reefbaby
09-28-2006, 02:22 AM
yeah - I agree with Carmie - the Photography Podcast is great. It's definitely one of those that I could listen to multiple times. In fact, I need to listen to it again and take notes.

I consider myself a pretty good amateur photographer as well, but tank shots have been a whole new world for me. I don't know if it's because my glass is thicker on my tank or what, but I have to be dead on center for the picture to not look warped due to the glass. I still need to figure out how to get around that.