PDA

View Full Version : caving pics ...

lReef lKeeper
12-15-2007, 01:43 PM
here are just a few right now, i am planning on a trip next week.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/lReef_lKeeper/DSC02027.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/lReef_lKeeper/DSC02028.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/lReef_lKeeper/DSC02029.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/lReef_lKeeper/DSC02031.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/lReef_lKeeper/DSC02032.jpg

CarmieJo
12-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Cool! I wanna go! Of course there is this issue that I do pretty good with the crawling on my belly part but I have a little more difficulty :lol: with the climbing stuff...

lReef lKeeper
12-15-2007, 01:55 PM
it was hard to get any good repelling pics and entrance pics, but i will try those the next time we go in.

CarmieJo
12-15-2007, 01:57 PM
You'll need a big flash for those.

Phurst
12-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Very nice! Man, that's cool looking. I haven't been in a cave in 10 years probably....

Makes me miss it....

lReef lKeeper
12-15-2007, 08:54 PM
call me if you make it my neck of the woods and we will plan a trip !! you can even lead a virgin passage.

nay,kid
12-15-2007, 09:23 PM
dude you gotta take me that looks awesome!

lReef lKeeper
12-15-2007, 09:31 PM
first you have to get a day off from work. you work seven days a week !! lol

nay,kid
12-15-2007, 09:40 PM
tell me about it. after Christmas things should slow down. till school starts anyway.

lReef lKeeper
12-15-2007, 09:43 PM
i am sure that we can get down there sometime to do so crawling around and climbing. i will give you a call when i find out when we are going again.

poppin_fresh
12-15-2007, 10:14 PM
No freaking way you would catch me in there! I dont mind extreme heights, or being deep in the ocean, but I dont do confined spaces. I'll have to live my spelunking through your pics Bobby,

lReef lKeeper
12-15-2007, 10:25 PM
no problem poppin fresh !! i will take you in with me from now on !! lol

Phurst
12-15-2007, 10:37 PM
call me if you make it my neck of the woods and we will plan a trip !! you can even lead a virgin passage.

You bet :up:

Rob
12-15-2007, 11:57 PM
dude.. im so commin down there this summer that would be awesome.. :)

lReef lKeeper
12-15-2007, 11:57 PM
call me when you are coming down. i can schedule a trip !!

V
12-17-2007, 08:03 AM
yeah bud, cavings wicked fun! Done a fair few myself actually, Im even thinking of patenting my own slogan -
" yeaha! - What's under down under "

i once went on this venture up far north, that the hardest thing was getting your head though the hole, the body contorted enough. Felt like being reborn all over again. :p At least this time i took time to look :roll:

Just dont forget to piggy back carmie though, and dont worry, being a cheeky monkey she might keep blowing in your ear & saying it was cave moths *chuckles*

You have glow worms up there? Open the shutter period & lets see em if you do!

lReef lKeeper
12-17-2007, 10:01 AM
so far all we have seen in there are some weird looking crickets and a couple of strange flies. we are always looking for odd bugs. lol

Drimo
12-17-2007, 01:27 PM
I went spelunking a number of times when I was younger and in scouting. Those were some good trips! I never had a camera to take pictures like you did, so good job planning ahead! We always went to wet caves with a good amount of water to crawl though. Just about all of them were in Central Kentucky. Well, nice pics, man!

Skurvey Dog
12-18-2007, 03:35 AM
You lucky, lucky guy! Don't forget that there are girls who have built in genes that makes them want to jump higher, climb faster, roll in the mud with the best of 'em and get to top before every one else! Brings my childhood back. I had a brother with friends and if they could do it. So could I and even better! :mrgreen: Looks like you had awesome fun! Bet you can weave a tapastry of awe! Thanks for sharing you lucky devil you. :D

Amphibious
12-18-2007, 09:35 AM
Wow, those pics are great. Reminds me of years gone by. I'll live it through your pics lReef lKeeper. Introduce the spelunkers with you and oh by the way, which one are you? Or didn't you let someone else borrow the camera?

Dick

Amphibious
12-18-2007, 09:37 AM
You lucky, lucky guy! Don't forget that there are girls who have built in genes that makes them want to jump higher, climb faster, roll in the mud with the best of 'em and get to top before every one else! Brings my childhood back. I had a brother with friends and if they could do it. So could I and even better! :mrgreen: Looks like you had awesome fun! Bet you can weave a tapastry of awe! Thanks for sharing you lucky devil you. :DHmm, that's my kind of girl. I was lucky enough to marry one!

Skurvey Dog is a curious name for a girl. Where'd that originate, Lori?

Dick

lReef lKeeper
12-18-2007, 09:54 AM
the man behind the camera is a guy named Matt (very good caving skills), (red hat) is Jill (local cave girl), (blue hat) is Glenn (owns the cave), and i am on the right (white hat) in the first pic and the one with my legs crossing the passage.

Skurvey Dog
12-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Hmm, that's my kind of girl. I was lucky enough to marry one!

Skurvey Dog is a curious name for a girl. Where'd that originate, Lori?

Dick

I have lived on the coast all my life and have enjoyed boating since I was about 15 months old. Even took my naps in the bow of a boat as the waves rocked me like a cradle. Well, 2 years ago I became the proud owner of a 19" Sea Hunt with a center console. I promptly named her Skurvey Dog and she proudly flies the skull and crossbones! She's out every weekend during mild weather and she takes me to another world. No phones, no noise except the ocean waves, and shows me leatherbacks, pods of dolphins, stingrays, jellyfish, king mackeral running and just a cleansing smell of fresh ocean air and the feel of salt spray on my face. Those are the things that make me feel alive and show me how minute I am in the scheme of things in this big world. And my motto ought to be "We can go home after I catch just one more." You know your day is nearly done when you hold up your hand to the horizon and make an "L" :agree:

Amphibious
12-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Skurvey Dog,

Hey that's a neat story. I too feel more alive on the water. Kind of like being in my primordial element. I've been involved in boating my entire life, like you. We recently moved to FL from WI. My wife was great on freshwater lakes and rivers. We thought she'd be Ok on the ocean, NOT. Gets seasick with in moments of shutting down the engine to fish or collect seawater. :cry: She's good as long as we're running on plane but, can't afford to do that very long with gas prices sky high. We bought a 1999 Wellcraft 230 Fisherman with center console, T-top and 225 Evinrude 2 stroke. It's a great boat. The last time Sue went out she said on the way in, "Honey, you're just going to have to find another girl to go boating with you". Ya, gotta love a wife like that. Sue is game though, I know the next time I go out she'll be right there. To bad you don't live down here. We could share water time.

It's a pleasure meeting you here on TR.

Dick

Amphibious
12-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Forgot to mention, we haven't named the Wellcraft yet. We have some ideas but nothing perminent. Still kicking it around.

nay,kid
12-18-2007, 11:43 PM
that sound so great! rocked in the cradle of the deep

Phurst
12-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Yeah, no offense, but after reading that, I think I love you :love!:

I'm just kidding, but you paint a beautiful image.

Skurvey Dog
12-19-2007, 12:38 AM
We've got ourselves a kinsmenship Dick! I envy the awesome climate in FL. My father served in the merchant marines? Fleet? Not sure as he is gone now, but he wound up living in Key West for years. Don't know why, with the exception of family ties and a blue eyed girl, my mother, he moved back to Chas. and got married. I truly love Key Largo, as it is not too commercialized and reminds me of the 70s. They have an awesome bird rehabilitation habitat there that I was impressed with, scuba diving and snorkling charters to the reefs, great fishing and feeding the fish... giant tarpons! I really get off on that one. :D We usually go with my brother and rent a house with a dock for the boat trips we take. Maybe I love the place because I met my first and only manatee there while eating my breakfast with the fish. :D I was sitting on the end of the dock and looked back toward the shore line and saw what appeared to be a large pipe shaped object with what can best be described as a carpet of grass, algea and other growth coating the surface. I got up and walked towards it to get a closer look as it had not been there before. Why, when dealing with salt water does a person's first paranoid thought deal with sharks! :o Believe me, I've seen some pretty large ones in my day! My first initial thought was a decomposing shark carcass as nothing surely would be alive with a type of plant life living on it! Wrong and wrong again. I took a second look and noticed the round fan shaped tail..... good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!! A manatee! I ran to the house, ripping the refrig open grabbing lettuce, bottle of water and shouting to all with ears who would hear " We got ourselves a manatee and she's a real bute!" My brother and sister-in-law think I have finally bit the big one and follow me to the dock. She's still there. My brother, he's so happy I think he's going to start cry, as he's been to manatee viewing grounds for the past 5 years with no success, well actually he's only viewed them from a distance, runs and grabs his and my snorkle gear. I'm in love at this point. It's a male and by gosh, he actually like me. He likes me! Thick wirey whiskers that tickle and a face that only a mother could love. Gosh he's adorable. His face reminds me sort of like a walrus. He loves the lettuce and greedily sucks down the fresh water. Little too late, as I found out this is a BIG no no. It is illegal. And I can plainly see why from the long jagged scars left on his torso from boat propellors. When I get into the water with him, at first I am frightened as he is MUCH, MUCH larger than what he first appeared to be from pearing down at him from the dock. I say a silent prayer that he is non agressive. I am no crocodile hunter. He was quite affectionate and enjoyed my stroking and loving. I can not tell you what the 1 1/2 experience I had with him did for me. And I thank him for sharing that small time with me. It gave me a better understanding of how precious life is and how we need to protect our marine mammals. His scars spoke more than words can ever say.

CarmieJo
12-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Wow! What an awesome experience.

Skurvey Dog
12-19-2007, 01:15 AM
Thanks Carmie Jo. I do find myself very blessed. I am a simple, down to earth fruitcake as Jimmy Buffet so eloquently describes. The funniest story that's been told for years in my family is how on my first trip to Key Largo I made the comment that I wanted to bring home a coconut. :D Sure enough, one day I was sitting on the same dock that I found the manatee, here comes a coconut floating on the incoming tide and made a bee line straight for me. Life is so wonderful at times and very bazaar. :cool: I still can't believe it.

nay,kid
12-19-2007, 07:14 PM
I went diving in clearwater with manatees they told us we could only get 20 feet from them but they could come to us. I was lucky enough to have a HUGE male come right to me look me in the eye for about 20 seconds and swim away. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life.

Drimo
12-19-2007, 08:03 PM
I had the same experience as nay,kid off of Key Largo, but the manatee was replaced by a hammerhead shark in 60 feet of water!!! And of course, we didn't go diving just for the hammerhead, she / he found us!

rroselavy
12-19-2007, 08:47 PM
I don't like being on an island smaller than Manhattan and my idea of going in the ocean is the 'Finding Nemo" submarine ride at Disneyland. :tongue2:

Seriously, I do not get seasick (under typical circumstances) - but I have an aversion to being stranded (on island, boat or karaoke parties), and a healthy respect (aka fear) of the immense forces of the ocean and of its many creatures. I rationalize that my body wasn't "built" for ocean life. The older I get the more I appreciate the view I get from the Discovery Channel.

Sad, but true.

CarmieJo
12-20-2007, 12:06 AM
I don't like being on an island smaller than Manhattan and my idea of going in the ocean is the 'Finding Nemo" submarine ride at Disneyland. :tongue2:

Seriously, I do not get seasick (under typical circumstances) - but I have an aversion to being stranded (on island, boat or karaoke parties), and a healthy respect (aka fear) of the immense forces of the ocean and of its many creatures. I rationalize that my body wasn't "built" for ocean life. The older I get the more I appreciate the view I get from the Discovery Channel.

Sad, but true.

My husband says he is a LAND mammal! Me, I'm half fish.

Skurvey Dog
12-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Gosh guys, that is some awesome tales there. Nay,Kid I know exactly what you mean. I can still see and feel that experience as if it happened today. They seem to look into your soul when they look into your eyes. I know that sounds crazy, but ya gotta be there to understand. :)

Hey Drimo, do ya think if I wet my pants in the water in an awesome situation like you found yourself in, that anyone but the shark would know? :up: Just kidding, don't get mad. I know I probably did one time. Key Largo is full of hungry hammers, bonnet heads and barracuda. I really would like you to tell the event in slow motion if you have the time. :up: Were you diving, snorkling or just jumped in to cool off? Rogues are scarey, it's like they come out of nowhere. I myself was grazed by a black tip, or that was my guess by the markings I saw in the 30 second interval of mouthing. It wasn't an attack, more out of curiosity I believe. 40 stitches later on my outer thigh , hey I have a war wound. I will point out one fact, sharks have been here long before man and are highly intelligent with more sonar, navigation gear, ect. than what the borg have on star trek. Next time a person goes to the beach and there is a pier located there and people fish off of it. Check to see if they also have places for fishermen to clean their catch. If so, common sense will tell you not to swim any where near that area. Sharks are like pets, they have a track they run to feed and if they can get a free meal without much effort involved they will. And again Drimo, please oh please tell me your story! It's off season and I'm getting cabin fever. :cry:

rroselavy, thats ok too, not everyone can be crazy. :rolleyes: It's my father's fault and I can thank him for it. I must be half mermaid. I'm away from the water for a week or 2 and I go nuts. I love the Discovery channel myself. Great stuff there. I think Dick has a few tales of his own that I bet would make the hair stand on your head. :heart: Maybe one day we'll get to hear about them.

Drimo
12-20-2007, 10:18 AM
[sorry for the thread hijack] Lol, no I didn't wet myself, but I would imagine others might! I did use about 300 psi of air in about 2 minutes though! Here is what happened. I was on a week long diving trip with my scout troop as an adult "advisor". We had trained and earned certification the previous year so we were all set to go. The BSA (boy scouts of america) has a camp on Islamorada where they run sailing excursions and dive trips from. We were supposed to do 10 dives but the night dive was canceled due to lightning and bull shark warnings. I did manage to get in the water before they canceled it and it was amazing to look down below with the flashlight and see barracuda and other fish swimming beneath.

Anyway, on this one particular dive, I think we were at alligator reef, but I could be wrong. I can look at my log book when I get home if anyone wants to know for certain. The planned depth was 60 feet. The reef itself was growing in ridges or lines, so we could swim between channels and see the life on each side of us. There is probably a term for that kind of growth but I do not know it. The reef itself was neat, but I do remember there were not as many fish as there were on other sites we had dived earlier in the week, such as Molasses Reef.

Since we dove to 60 feet, we needed to do a safety stop on our way back up. I'd say we were at a depth of maybe 15-20 feet. About 30 seconds into the safety stop, something big started swimming our way. When it was clear it was a hammerhead, maybe about 15 feet away, it turned to the right and swam away, giving us a full view of its body. Immediately, our divemaster started to chase the shark to try to catch up, but the rest of us began to hurry our ascent. On the surface, there was the expected "holy %*$& did you see that?" type of enthusiasm while we climbed into the boat. That soon turned into "wow that was awesome!" once we were safely on the boat. Our divemaster said he chased the shark because it was his lifelong dream to see a hammerhead on a dive. It could be an exagerration in my mind, but I think the shark was around 10 - 12 feet long. I've seen the preserved record-setting 15 footer at Mote Marine Aquarium in Sarasota and I believe that the shark I saw was around that size. Who knows, maybe it was the same shark! Anyway, it makes for a great story and it was exiting to experience. :)

Skurvey Dog
12-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Drimo :mrgreen: I am sitting here laughing and grinning from ear to ear right now. Why is it that after a considerable amount of time has passed the incidents can be viewed with much humor and glee. But at the time they occurred, chilled the blood and made us instantly recognize our fragile existance. Yes, I would of wet my pants! Hammers to me are more fascinating than other shark species, as I am awed in their head structure and eyes. They're easier to handle because of the hammer shaped head. I do envy your diving as that is not an option for me. I have always had ear infections, major scar tissue issues that effect my hearing. But at least I have my snorkling. I love you divers when I snorkle. :agree: It's an awesome feeling when your air bubbles rise to the top as they tickle and tingle! It must be an awesome experience to get to get a close up view of all the corals, reef structure and other life forms. Here in Chas. we have divers go into our estuaries and rivers looking for mastadon teeth and other fossils. It's not an easy feat as we have the famous pluff mud and silt inshore. That's probably why I love FLA also, clear blue waters from shore and more!

Drimo
12-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Diving was a lot of fun, but I also had ear problems. I received a nasty ear infection while earning certification. When I lived in Florida for 1.5 years, I always thought I'd get into diving again, but I didn't primarily because I didn't have the time and my wife wasn't interested. For that reason, I don't really think I'll be diving again anytime soon. That trip was over 7 years ago, so I would need a concentrated refresher class before attempting to get into the water. I think I would appreciate diving a reef a lot more now because of marine / reef keeping. That's not to say that I didn't before, just that I understand a lot more the ecology and behavior of life in a reef.

nay,kid
12-20-2007, 05:54 PM
If I had a scar from a shark bite I'd be the proudest person I know. theres nothing better than nature to put you in your place in the world. sorry for hijacking your thread bobby

lReef lKeeper
12-20-2007, 06:01 PM
no biggie, i am kinda enjoying reading all of these stories !!

Skurvey Dog
12-21-2007, 12:44 AM
Sorry for the hijacking to Bobby :( I didn't mean to to take over your thread. I apologize :blush: It was sorta like a party getting started. Actually it's all your fault! :tongue2: If you hadn't got everyone so excited with those awesome spelunker pics! Just teasing. I think everyone is probably getting cabin fever with winter setting in. :up:

lReef lKeeper
12-21-2007, 09:20 AM
what happened to all of the stories ?? i was enjoying them !! keep them coming, i can not change the title of the thread with my new powers (or i have not found the buttons yet).

Amphibious
12-21-2007, 10:40 AM
I think Dick has a few tales of his own that I bet would make the hair stand on your head. :heart: Maybe one day we'll get to hear about them.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->I have a long history (70 yo) and I'm a good story teller. My wife would tell you, "He's very long winded" but, the story is in the details. Take SCUBA as a for instance. I could tell you, I've been diving for 50 years, and you would automatically think OMG this guy must have many stories to tell. Then I could add one detail, I didn't dive for 50 years, and you would go what the ????. Have I got you confused, bewildered, wondering or what? Here's the short version with enough details to "get the picture".

I first SCUBA'd in 1956 (Were you born, yet?). My best friend and I bought used tanks and regulators. US Divers double hose models that you now find in Museums. PADI and all other certification sources had not even been thought of at this point in time. The nearest air source was a 45 minute drive one way. That was an adventure in it's self but, that's a story for another time. No instruction, no dive course, no experience, no brains and no fear. I was 18 years old and this daring adventure is tame compared to todays youth, right? So off we went, diving.

I lived and grew up in Madison, WI which is blessed with 4 lakes. We dove together for 3 years hitting a couple of neighboring cities with lakes along the way. Then I married my friends sister and had to give up some toys. The dive gear was sold and children entered the picture. Since no one was keeping marine aquariums much less a LFS selling them, I was only into freshwater at that time. Life goes on and 2 children grow up, a divorce, and 9 years of single life (Man that was an adventure but, yet another story. An adult story of course. :p ) and then Sue came into my life (another story). Well, Sue was certified. WOW, I was marrying a diver. Wait there's another story, she was petrified of diving because her first husband was one of those "macho" type guys that wanted to dive deep wrecks and insisted Sue go with him to depth. I guess he thought she had to be "macho" too. Excuse me but, I prefer my women to be a warm, cuddly, soft and pinkie kind of thing. She can be a diver or anything she wants to be. The difference is, with me, she makes her own choices as to what adventure she wants to share together. So, we sold Sue's gear. That was twenty years ago. I'm getting old and begin to realize, I may never SCUBA again.

Five years ago we decide to begin the process of moving to FL. I have a nephew, John, who is a certified Dive Master. We contact John and he gets us a real deal on gear. We buy tanks, regulator, BC, weights, and dive computer. We had mask, snorkel and fins. We made a trip to Cozumel years earlier with 4 other couples and snorkeled the reefs there. That convinced Sue I was a fish. She couldn't get me out of the water. Cozumel was my first dip into saltwater and the reefs are beautiful.

I waited till we moved to FL to start my certification course. Got certified six months ago at age 69. Now you know the rest of the story and I think you get the picture of why the story is in the details. At least if you read this far.

There is a sad conclusion to this story. We bought a boat to go diving among other things. It turns out Sue gets sea sick every trip in the boat. So, she will not be diving any time soon. I haven't been in the water since my open water dive this past June. :cry:

The last time we were out she told me, "Honey, you need to find yourself another boating girl to enjoy water sports with". Ya gotta love a wife that knows and understands your needs. I love that girl!!! Now, I need a boating partner.

Dick

Skurvey Dog
12-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Well, I really have enjoyed hearing everyone's personal exeriences and thoughts. And Drimo, I hope that one day you have the desire and opportunity to dive again as that is the one thing that I will never get to do that I really think that I would enjoy. I have a friend who is a diver and he volunteers some of his time down at the Aquarium where he gets to feed the inhabitants in their main display tank and helps keep it clean. He says that he really enjoys that alot.

And Nay,Kid I don't want you to be misled. I have a grazing scar and it was by a juivie (An adolescent). There is a massive difference between the two. Probably several hundred stitches difference. :D I never went into detail as it is sort of embarrassing and well stupid is as stupid does if you get my meaning. My favorite fishing ground is the Jetties, which protects our city's harbor and Fort Sumpter. I prefer the ocean side as the rip tide is not bad, clearer waters and no earth shattering wakes to deal with from the giant cargo ships that come through. You could fit a mall inside one of those! Black bass, porkies, lady fish, whiting, spades, and other species live besides this massive dike of rock for protection from the larger boys. Inside the jetties is 60' to 75' deep, while the outer rim is anywhere from 12' to 20' and gradually gets much, much deeper. That particular day was blistering hot with about a heat index of 110 degrees. Winds ridiculously low, perfect water conditions. A dream of a day! I normally take a bucket with me and dump it over my head several times throughout the day to cool off as I never got a wild hair to get into the water. I know salt water dries out the skin, but if you stay damp, it's not bad at all and it feels great. :D There were probably 5 CCs that day trolling the outter rim for King Mackeral as they were running. Fishing was great, saw a ray and only a few jellies. Nature called and instead of using the standard, normal operating procedures (You like that huh?) I decide that since I saw a leatherback only a few yards away, that I can exit out the back of the boat. (Wrong, wrong, wrong!) The water feels refreshing as I hold on to the boat motor. I tarry and decide to place my feet on each side of the prop and just sort of bounce up and down in the water making faces at Scott my husband. (He knows I'm a looney tune and loves me anyway.) My brain must be fried from the heat. Like I was saying before, stupid is as stupid does. Then I feel it. A bump, not a bang, didn't shove me around, just a a firm bump, then a major burning, like lava or acid and I see a retreating figure, a small shark approximately 4 foot? Heck my mind was like in slow mo, I still didn't realize what had happened. I didn't put the two together as I just wanted to get the heck out of the water and see what was burning so freaking bad! :cry: I started hollering and Scott had to help me out as my knees and whole legs were shaking so bad. There it was, the upper outside of my right thigh right below my bathing suit bottom, several lacerations. It wouldn't have looked so bad if it weren't for the fatty tissue. It just opened right up making the cuts look 3 times as worse than what they were. I am still miffed at Scott cause he said he had seen 2 sharks in the 4 hours that we had been there and never said a word, but they were small and he didn't think anything of it. Yeah right! The more I think on it. I feel that maybe all the activity of king mackeral running, trolling and dotted boaters fishing the jetties. For all I know someone could of been chumming. I think the guy was cruising the outer rim looking for a free meal and just buzzed me. That's all I can say. My doctor, who was sewing me back up could only shake her head (she knows me quite well unfortunately) and say that the probability of that ever happening was 15%. Oh lucky me. I can only say that the good that came out of this little adventure was that Scott got us back to shore in record breaking time of 40 minutes! It was the test run in preparation for the sting ray incident!

Phurst
12-21-2007, 11:55 AM
It was the test run in preparation for the sting ray incident!

Oh, now you know you can't just leave us with that ;)

Amphibious
12-21-2007, 12:02 PM
That's the trait of a great story teller. An ending that leads to the next story.

Skurvey Dog
12-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Ok.... So I must be a marine accident looking for a place to happen! :blush:

Skurvey Dog
12-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Dick, my opologies, just overlook my "been too long in the sun" brain, I just saw your story. That's so cool! Funny how youth breeds No Fear. One thinking about the possibilities of death seem so far away. (I think perhaps you and I know that "bravery is not the correct term, perhaps ignorance is a better description!) I bet you were one tough cookie, and still are for that matter, an adventure seeker if you will. :love!: "Snorkeled the reefs in Cozumel." How exciting! I find myself just fortunate to make it to FLA. It's hard with 2 kids furthering their education. I'm sorry to hear that Sue gets sea sick. Has she exhausted the avenues of meds on this? I know it must be hard for her, loving the water so much and just can't take the boat ride, or I should say the sitting still in the water.

I hope that you find yourself a compatible fishing partner. I say this as I am hard core. It's a all day affair for me and if you start whining to go home after a few hours... "You'll walk the plank!" :up:

V
12-29-2007, 07:28 AM
geeze you people can talk, i cant even here myself think..ummm, ok then, keep going in the interest of greater humanity.

Now that ive exhausted myself traveling the world & experiencing things through all your eyes, I have a wonderful story to share with you all!

I just cooked a lamb roast, & im now going to eat the whole thing by myself.:agree:

Experience that...lol

Faint Oz transmission lost.................

Amphibious
12-29-2007, 11:02 AM
There are some stories that can't be told in a word or two. The tale is in the de-tails.

I bet you were one tough cookie, and still are for that matter, an adventure seeker if you will. :love!: "Snorkeled the reefs in Cozumel." How exciting! I find myself just fortunate to make it to FLA. It's hard with 2 kids furthering their education. I'm sorry to hear that Sue gets sea sick. Has she exhausted the avenues of meds on this? I know it must be hard for her, loving the water so much and just can't take the boat ride, or I should say the sitting still in the water.

I hope that you find yourself a compatible fishing partner. I say this as I am hard core. It's a all day affair for me and if you start whining to go home after a few hours... "You'll walk the plank!" :up: I'm not so sure about the "tough cookie" part. More like a soft, warm, moist chocolate chip cookie. That would be with Hersey's Dark Semi-sweet chocolate, thank you.:rotfl: Adventure seeker, definitely! Even at age 70.

Yes, sue has tried everything available, even doubling the dose, to no avail. She is game though. When I ask, "Wanna go out and get some sea water?", she's right there getting a cooler together. I love that girl.

Hard core here too. I have spent many a trip into the wilds of Canada where all there is to do is fish. Leave the dock in the morning, fish to noon, eat shore lunch, fish till dusk, drive back to the cabin in the dark, eat supper around 10pm. No walking the plank for this kid. :cool: We fish even in those all day :raining: pouring down rains and early spring snow storms that Canada is famous for. Jeeze, I miss the North.......NOT!!! :rotfl:

Dick

Skurvey Dog
12-29-2007, 11:45 AM
And you forgot a few other things Dick. Unloading gear, scrubbing out the boat, flushing the trailor and motor.... cleaning those fish. ;) Unfortunately I have been the designated fish cleaner since I was 10 years old. All the rotten luck! Rewarded for a job well done with more work. :rotfl:

rroselavy
12-29-2007, 01:24 PM
I just cooked a lamb roast, & im now going to eat the whole thing by myself.:agree:

Experience that...lol

lol. My recent experiences include a 15lb Turkey and 8lb Ribeye Roast. I cooked, conquered, and ate like a wild animal.

-Scott

Skurvey Dog
12-29-2007, 01:38 PM
lol. My recent experiences include a 15lb Turkey and 8lb Ribeye Roast. I cooked, conquered, and ate like a wild animal.

-Scott

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mrgreen:

V
12-29-2007, 05:49 PM
lol. My recent experiences include a 15lb Rubber Turkey, 8lb kangaroo poop & 2lb of my old nail clippings. I cooked, conquered, and ate like a wild animal.

-Scott

Im impressed bud! :wow:

CarmieJo
12-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Dick, has Sue tried those wrist bands with the little buttons on the inside? My mom & hubby both think they work.

Amphibious
12-29-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm not sure what they are. Got a name for them?

Skurvey Dog
12-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Not breaking the train of thought here, apologies Dick, while CJo gets back with you. What is everyone going to do to welcome in the new year? I believe I will stay home ...again, and steam oysters, invite a few friends over and pass out around 2:00am. :p And make it good cause secretly the world is involuntarily celebrating this ole gal's b-day. :D

Amphibious
12-30-2007, 12:26 AM
No Apologies necessary.

Well, my goodness, Skurvey Dog has a BD on the 31st. She was nearly a New Year baby. Even though I'm early, Happy Birthday Lori. How young are you on the 31st???

Dick

Skurvey Dog
12-30-2007, 12:45 AM
Well now, let's see, one, two, three, yes, I do believe I'll be 47! I have to laugh though... the outside ages and I don't like those new laugh lines or creases between my eyebrows because my face is very animated when I talk. But I will be eternally a 12 year old inside with all the wisdom of the years endured. At 45 I locked myself in the bathroom and cried because what was on the inside did not match the outside, but then I realized that my true self shined through with my thinking, quick witt, and fruitcakeness. Then my daughter told me I looked only 40 and I started laughing at myself for being so anal. Life is a gift and every day we are given should be cherished. Besides, in just 3 more years I'll be looking at my gigalo cake! Whoopee!

V
12-30-2007, 05:47 AM
age is like a fine wine, depends on what your eating it with..lol

happy B'day for the 31st, what a day to have a b'day, 1 celebration into another. If your eating so many oysters...how come your going to bed so earlyhttp://www.alexander-oberg.de/smileys/hiiillfe_2.gif?

CarmieJo
12-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Happy b-day Lori! I will be 49 in April and I concluded a long time ago that I may as well be happy to be the age I am. :)

Skurvey Dog
12-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys! No wonder I liked you so much CarmieJo! :love:

How come I might go to bed so early V? Well, it really all depends on how the evening turns out. I adore a good oyster and I can eat 3/4 of a bushel by myself. :eat: and I'm not a big girl either. If I immediately stuff myself, the "Gotta get horizontal mood" strikes. Sort of like having to take a nap after eating all that turkey at Thanksgiving. ;):crazy: Besides, I have to go to bed so we can get up before 10:00am and have our traditional New Years Day breakfast of chilled jumbo shrimp and champagne spitzies! After that it's chained to the kitchen to make the traditional hop'n'johns and collards for good luck. :p:thumbs: (Notice the more eating!)

lReef lKeeper
12-30-2007, 03:30 PM
happy Birthday Lori !!

sorry, but i cant think of any OLD jokes right now !! lol

nay,kid
12-30-2007, 08:54 PM
the wrist bands work great for sea sickness my local dive shop sells them. they have a little button that presses on a pressure point on your wrist.
happy B-day lori!

V
12-30-2007, 10:55 PM
sorry, but i cant think of any OLD jokes right now !! lol

there's always one to let the team down:p

rroselavy
12-31-2007, 02:50 AM
the wrist bands work great for sea sickness my local dive shop sells them. they have a little button that presses on a pressure point on your wrist.

This reminds me of a helicopter ride my wife and I took on Kauai. The pilot was the island's most experienced rescue pilot, with a perfect record, and thus the only one we we would trust. You can only get bookings for this guy months in advance, he is the only pilot for his company, and it was our honeymoon. We were really excited to go on our first helicopter trip, especially since it was over Kauai. I got to fly shotgun, which was really neat in the small helicopter with the glass bottom in front.

The wife of the couple that flew with us had a motion sickness band, and one third through the flight she started complaining. The pilot, who flew as smooth as butter, indicated that he would continue by flying even more smoothly that he had already. She said she was getting sick :sick:, and insisted that we return (instead of using the supplied air sickness bags). The pilot warned that if we turned back, that would be the end of the trip since there was not enough time (and fuel?) to go back and return again. She again insisted, so we all went back to the pad. Without saying a word (such as "We're really sorry for this.", or "Perhaps we shouldn't have gone up in the first place.") , the couple quickly left and we never saw them again. :madmad:

My wife and I were really disappointed, and the helicopter company couldn't have been nicer, but they were booked solid and had no cancellation slots to offer. :cry:

CarmieJo
12-31-2007, 09:58 PM
Oh I would have been so MAD! I've only evern flown in a helicopter once. I was an EMT and our local air ambulance had a fly along program for members of land based units. The purpose was to train local squads the proper protocol for working with the helicopter crews. You had to go through the training and then signed up for your day to fly. You only got one day so you might not even get a flight. So my big day arrived and we sat around the ready room all day. Finally about 30 minutes before my shift was over we got a scene call! It was a beautiful fall day with the trees in their glorious colors and the sky a bright Carolina blue. I loved the flight! But I kept thinking to myself, "It is a good thing that Rick (my hubby) isn't here, he'd be sick an using that bag!"

Amphibious
12-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Now on your actual day, Happy Birthday Lori.

It's a good thing Sue and I don't put much emphasis on celebrating the New Year thingie. She just left for work.

Happy New Year everyone.

Dick

poppin_fresh
01-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Man....I've never been on a helicopter, but I'm a totally adrenalline junky, so I would love to take a spin. I love my wife to death, but I would never allow her into a situation where she could impact the enjoyment of others. :D

Surprisingly though, she is a tough chic when I push her into it (she totally loved Top Fuel Dragster @ Cedar Point Carmie)! I still cant get her to try diving though!?

CarmieJo
01-01-2008, 03:05 AM
Yeah, I am an adrenalin junkie too. My husband on the other hand is NOT a risk taker. Probably a good thing or I would be the only lady you know who walks with crutches and has a pair of the Heelie roller-skate shoes the kids have. :D

Sounds to me like maybe that other guy was selfish enough to push his wife to do something she was not ready or able to handle and ruined the experience for others. Then he wasn't man enough to apologize to Scott & his bride or the pilot.

rroselavy
01-01-2008, 03:54 AM
Sounds to me like maybe that other guy was selfish enough to push his wife to do something she was not ready or able to handle and ruined the experience for others. Then he wasn't man enough to apologize to Scott & his bride or the pilot.

In retrospect, it wasn't a huge investment for us, and we had a great time during the rest of our stay on Kauai, Maui and Hawaii (Kona). We were just a bit confounded at the momentary lack of common sense and decency.

Snorkeling with Sea Turtles off the Kauai bluffs and seeing the Keck Observatories (13k ft elevation) at sundown were my favorite excursions. Getting food poisoning from a sandwich (with mayo) on our bike ride down from Mauna Haleakala was my least favorite. :sick:

-Scott

Skurvey Dog
01-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Happy New Year Everybody!!!!!!!!!! :rock: Thanks for all the birthday wishes. And V... ahem... I'm sure Bobby can come up with and old folks joke. I say "Bring it on!" :lol: I love a good joke myself.

Wow, rroselavy, sounds like an awesome trip you had planned there. I would have been irritated with those folks also as they were totally selfish in what they did. It was not a medical emergency and should of been treated as such for the good of all involved. I am surprised that the pilot had not continued the journey. I'm sure those folks are not the first to be overcome with nausea. That reminds me of a trip my hubby went on fishing. There was a guy that begged to go and they made an exception for him at the last minute. Well, he got sick :sick::sick: and all aboard hold him to "keep chumming!" Gosh, I would of loved to of been with you snorkling with the sea turtles. I bet that was a sight to see. I'm glad that even though the flight was a bust, that you still were able to enjoy the other things you had planned. ;)

CarmieJo
01-01-2008, 11:56 AM
In retrospect, it wasn't a huge investment for us, and we had a great time during the rest of our stay on Kauai, Maui and Hawaii (Kona). We were just a bit confounded at the momentary lack of common sense and decency.

Snorkeling with Sea Turtles off the Kauai bluffs and seeing the Keck Observatories (13k ft elevation) at sundown were my favorite excursions. Getting food poisoning from a sandwich (with mayo) on our bike ride down from Mauna Haleakala was my least favorite. :sick:

-Scott

That food poisoning stuff is tough. My husband got it the first night of our 25th Anniversary trip and was sick the whole time.

Despite the rude people and the food poisoning it sounds like you had a wonderful trip and a great time. Plus, it was your honeymoon! :love: