PDA

View Full Version : Mithrax Crab eating Bubble Algae

Danamck
11-12-2007, 03:37 PM
So, I've always had a VERY small amount of bubble algae in my 240 (I'm talking 3 - 4 pieces. But lately I've notive a few more (about 10 - 12). While I relaize this isn't plague proportions, I don't want to wait for that either! The rock it is on is next to impossible to remove from the tank without majorly (is this a word?) disturbing by structure. It is also next to impossible to get to with a siphon hose. So I'm thinking of trying a Mithrax Crab.

So here's my question: I know that you want to be careful when trying to manually remove bubble algae to avoid having it burst and release more bubble algae spores into the tank. But isn't this exactly what the Mitrax Crab is going to do? Or do they eat the algae whole? And if they can eat something that large (in relation to their body size) what else will he chow down on?

Finally, how successful have other people been with this "natural" method. I realize this subject was brought on on TRL, but I'm looking for some additonal support that this is a good way to proceed.

Phurst
11-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Mine eats small bubbles. The larger ones i siphon out. for the ones I can't reach, I position the siphon near them during water changes and puncure them, sucking out any spores they may release.

Danamck
11-13-2007, 03:15 AM
Mine eats small bubbles. The larger ones i siphon out. for the ones I can't reach, I position the siphon near them during water changes and puncure them, sucking out any spores they may release.

Thanks. And how is he as a resident of your reef - does he go after anything else (good or bad)?

Phurst
11-13-2007, 09:56 AM
I have 2, and they are both very well behaved.