PDA

View Full Version : Need San Francisco Suggestions

CarmieJo
11-07-2007, 01:13 AM
OK, I have hijacked Dana's tank journal http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/member-tank-projects/2011-road-danamcks-240g-180g-dream-tanks-6.html with my vacation questions. :doh: So, I am actually starting a thread to ask, what should we do in San Francisco? We will be visiting in a couple of weeks and are staying at Fisherman's Wharf. We aren't planning on renting a car. I am looking for suggestions on what to do and where to eat.

lReef lKeeper
11-07-2007, 08:24 AM
go to the LFS's ... and if they have anything cool you can send them to me !!:rotfl:

CarmieJo
11-07-2007, 08:29 AM
It's doubtful I'll get my hubby to go to the LFS's and even more doubtful that the rest of our party will. Wonder if there is one at Fisherman's Wharf that I could just happen upon????

Pescaiolo
11-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Nope no LFS at Fisherman's Warf. Carmie hit up the Warf and all the museums(there are a lot). They sell tourist packages with tickets to all sorts of stuff around town. Its good that you don't plan on renting a car. The public transportation system in the bay area is very efficient. There are also a lot of different places to eat in SF. All the neighborhoods are broken down into small cultural places. If you feel like Italian you go to the Italian part, for Chinese you go to the Chinese part, etc. It's pretty easy to navigate after using the cable cars a few times. SF is a lot of walking and it also has a lot of ups and downs. The curviest steepest street is no joke to walk up. The cars going up the hill spin their tires most of the time getting up to the top. The bay area is beautiful and I think you will enjoy it there. I am sure people from the area can chime in and tell you more, this is all based on my trip there in 2005, things may have changed in 2 years. Hope this helps! :)

Reefbaby
11-07-2007, 05:36 PM
oh man....where to start?! One of the greatest cities in the world! (at least in my opinion)

It's too bad you don't have a car. One of my favorite past times in SF is to just drive around the different neighborhoods. The architecture is fascinating.

Go to Sausalito, if you can catch a bus. If you like Sushi, I can recommend a wonderful little restaurant there:
Sushi Ran (http://www.sushiran.com/)

Places to walk around:
Union Square
China Town
Palace of Fine Arts
Lombard Street - any way you do it, you've got to see it!
The Haight-Ashbury
MOMA
Telegraph Hill
Colt Tower

Make sure you ride the Cable Cars!

On Saturdays, there's a wonderful wonderful wonderful (did I say wonderful?) Farmer's Market at the Ferry Building Marketplace. You can get great food there and sometimes there's some pretty famous chefs cooking up a storm!

And, if you're going to be driving down to Monterey Bay, then stop in Carmel! It's a beautiful, charming little town!

Have a great time. I LOVE SF. Wish I could move there. You can't go wrong with restaurants...the selection is fantastic!

CarmieJo
11-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Mark (keyozoxmfc) also recommended the CityPass which includes a muni pass.

Pescaiolo
11-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Yes the Citypass is awesome! They have all sorts of different packages. We got the cable cars and buses and subways free for a week with ours which is very good! They also have museum tickets and coupons and stuff for all the different places around town. i highly recommend getting them. They are a lifesaver!

john0087
11-08-2007, 03:43 PM
WOW, SF is such a great city and there is so much to do.

Reefbaby hit on a lot of the things to do.

Last time we were there, before my sister moved. We took a great bay cruise. It wasn't very expensise and it sailed under the Golden Gate and around Alcatraz. It's a neat way to see the bay and a lot of sights at one time. You can purchase tickets at the Warf.

We also love to go to Ghirardelli Square and get sundae's in the summer and hot chocolate in the winter. Its not too far from Fisherman's warf. It is the origianal factory and pretty neat. Its also cloease to where the main cable car station is.

I second the Farmers Martket on the Ferry Pier. It is a great place to pick up from artisian beads, cheese and wine and have a picnic (although it may be pretty cold up there this time of year)

You definately do not need a car, but if you do have time to head down to Monterey (abouts 1.5 hours drive south). It's is a beautiful drive down the 101/PCH and they have a great public Aquarium.

Have Fun!

John

CarmieJo
11-08-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm taking lots of warm clothes! We went to Seattle at the same time last year and it was miserable. Not only was it cold it poured rain most of the time.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/CarmieJo/Summer_Fall_Winter_06_to_07_339.jpg
This is in front of the Seattle Aquarium. I am on the scooter and my friend is huddled in her coat. I think it was about 35 out, raining and the wind was blowing.

Danamck
11-09-2007, 05:28 AM
SF is only an hour away - and I spend so little time there! I hate city traffic, and parking can be a real pain, so not renting a car isn't such a bad thing.

Must sees:
The Golden Gate and Bay Bridges
Alcatraz
Downtown (most of the stores should have their Christmas decorations up - gorgeous)

If you REALLY want to do the whole tourist thing, here you go:

San Francisco Tours, San Francisco Sightseeing Tours, San Francisco Bus Tours (http://www.sanfranshuttletours.com/?gclid=COm8qYe4z48CFRm9hgodXW3xxg)

Yes - bring warm clothes. So far we've had very little rain, but it is starting to get a bit chilly (that's low 60's for us Californians!)

Danamck
11-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Carmie -

Oh boy. As I'm sure you've heard, we've had a bit of an oil spill here in SF. And it looks to be bad. While I'm certain it won't affect your vacation that much - it is good to remember (especially given our hobby of choice) that we as people can have a tremendous effect on this planet - both good and bad.

CarmieJo
11-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Dana, I did hear about the oil spill. I am thinking that the Bay Cruise may be a wash out.

V
11-10-2007, 08:53 AM
carmie, i think this is the most dismal picture i have seen in a long time...at least get some mag wheels for your scooter would you...lol
Plus where you hiding them nitros bottles?
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/CarmieJo/Summer_Fall_Winter_06_to_07_339.jpg

Reefbaby
11-10-2007, 08:59 AM
I think you should get a big Talking Reef bumper sticker for the back! :D

CarmieJo
11-10-2007, 06:58 PM
I think that Veriann had the TR magnets, maybe he has the bumper stickers too?

V
11-10-2007, 08:54 PM
yeah i can hook you up with that, although rob might not like it though, besides the TR logo on where to direct your comments, in big bold letters i also have

" I BRAKE FOR NO-ONE" plastered in the middle http://www.alexander-oberg.de/smileys/Ill.jpg

CarmieJo
11-10-2007, 09:01 PM
yeah i can hook you up with that, although rob might not like it though, besides the TR logo on where to direct your comments, in big bold letters i also have

" I BRAKE FOR NO-ONE" plastered in the middle http://www.alexander-oberg.de/smileys/Ill.jpg LOL, that's me! I was in a wheelchair for a year after I got hurt and the exchange students brought me a license plate (the kind kids put on their bikes) for my wheelchair that reads "Speedster"!

Reefbaby
11-11-2007, 05:22 AM
huh...maybe we should revive that TR bumper sticker idea...I remember we had a lot of funny quotes way back then!
So, Carmie, when do you leave?

CarmieJo
11-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Friday! :D