PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Nutrition Formula One Pellets SINK

john0087
11-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Hey all,

I have been very happy with F1 flake. I use it in mu auto feeder for mid day feedings and I feed frozen at night.

I decided to try F1 small pellets. I tested them in my auto feeder to set the amount and when it released the, they pellets sank like rocks!!!

$15 wasted? (I should have bought the smaller container)

Am I missing something about feeding pellet style food? Is there a technique or am I just out of luck?

Thanks

John

CarmieJo
11-06-2007, 01:41 AM
Every pellet I have fed sinks. I've been told that it is not natural for the fish to eat from the surface of the water and so floating foods are not optimal.

john0087
11-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Alrighty then, I will give it a try for a couple of days and see how it goes.

Thanks!

John

Pescaiolo
11-06-2007, 01:19 PM
I've been told that it is not natural for the fish to eat from the surface of the water and so floating foods are not optimal.

My experience living on an island in the Med for 3 years tells me otherwise. Fish will eat where ever there is food. There are flathead mullets there that feed only at the surface with their mouths opening and closing sucking in whatever and filtering it out through their gills. In an aquarium, fish will feed where ever the person puts the food or the fish will starve. Most fish won't starve themselves if the tank is established and they are not stressed. I witnessed surface feeding in the aquarium just last night. I went to someone's house to pick up a skimmer and he had a 120g with several fish in it. He had Anthias that need to constantly feed and he had an automatic feeder with a feeding ring. The fish knew as soon as the thing kicked on they were about to get fed. All of them went the ring and fed right at the surface no problem. He had tangs up there eating as well! I could never get my Yellow Tang to do that! I was amazed!

It all depends on what kind of fish it is and where it is found. Obviously fish found in deeper waters will be finicky about feeding at the surface. I have noticed my fish don't eat off the sand they like their food to float around so they can pick out things as they see fit as well as eating at the surface.

Back to topic:
I would try switching to flakes as they float and once they get soaked they start to float down very slowly, giving all your fish time to swim and feed. I have F1 pellets and regret buying them, next time I am buying flakes and trying them. You can crush the pellets up a little to break them into smaller bite size pieces so smaller fish can eat it before it hits the bottom. I have been doing that and it has been working decently. I suggest trying iy and seeing if it helps. Good luck! :D

poppin_fresh
11-06-2007, 09:36 PM
I always drop my pellets near my Tunzes. This blows the food across the tank before it sinks to the bottom.

Amphibious
11-07-2007, 12:01 AM
I soak pellets in tank water before feeding this swells them up and they sink slower. Pellets seldom hit the bottom with my piggy fish. If they do, the sohal Tang goes about cleaning them up. What a hog!

Dick

CarmieJo
11-07-2007, 12:30 AM
I soak everything I feed in garlic & vitamins so maybe that is why they never sink like a stone.