PDA

View Full Version : How much light is needed?

texasfootball21
11-05-2007, 07:15 PM
I was wondering how much lighting does macro algae require? I am going to use a HOB Emperor 280 Filter as a refugium on my 36 gallon. I am going to fill it up with LR rubble and was wondering what I would need to be able to add some cheato, to keep the nitrates down.
What cheap lights could I use?
What kinds of macro require little lighting and will keep down my nitrates?
Thanks.

lReef lKeeper
11-05-2007, 07:30 PM
i am just running a NO strip light on my refugium. thought about going with pc's, but figured it was growing like crazy NOW ... so why add more light. lol

CarmieJo
11-05-2007, 08:56 PM
I use a "twisty" 23 watt 6700K CF bulb. It either came from Home Depot or Lowes.

Danamck
11-05-2007, 09:06 PM
I was wondering how much lighting does macro algae require? I am going to use a HOB Emperor 280 Filter as a refugium on my 36 gallon. I am going to fill it up with LR rubble and was wondering what I would need to be able to add some cheato, to keep the nitrates down.
What cheap lights could I use?
What kinds of macro require little lighting and will keep down my nitrates?
Thanks.

First of all, Cheato is the right choice for macro, IMO. And it will need some light to grow. And for the most part, the more light the better. That said, I've got a 42 watt T-5 light over each of my refugiums (approx 45 gallons each) and that seems to be plenty. I know that i would get better growth with more lights, but i'm happy with the growth I have.

Now - an Emperor 280 does not have a lot of room for live rock and Chaeto (I have a 400 on my QT tank). How big is the tank this is being used on? And are you using the Bio-wheel that came with it. These things are huge nitrate producers, and as long as you've got a good amount of live rock in the display tank, you don't need it. IMO, of course.