PDA

View Full Version : Project DIBS Online Class by Dr Shimek

BrianPlankis
10-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Hello Talkingreef members!

I wanted to make a last minute announcement, for those of you who are interested in those spineless members of your tank and want to learn a lot more about them, especially how to breed them and so much more, you only have a couple of days left to sign up for a special class arranged at the Project DIBS website.

Project DIBS will be hosting an online class taught by Dr Ronald L. Shimek titled:

INVERTEBRATE EMBRYOLOGY AND LARVAL BIOLOGY FOR REEF AQUARISTS

It should be an interesting class and we officially have enough students to get the class going. I wanted to offer this announcement to all Talkingreef members before the class enrollment is closed. For more information or any questions, please see this link:

First Announcements For Autumn/Winter Online Courses - Project DIBS Forums (http://www.projectdibs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1311)

Cheers,

Brian

V
11-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Brian, are you going through this course yourself.? or are you fluent in slug raising?
I must admit, it sounds interesting.
Brian tell me something, what is the overall goal of project dibs. Mission statement if you will!

BrianPlankis
11-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Brian, are you going through this course yourself.? or are you fluent in slug raising?
I must admit, it sounds interesting.
Brian tell me something, what is the overall goal of project dibs. Mission statement if you will!

As administrator of Project DIBS I'll be overseeing the class. I have comprehensive exams for my degree on Nov 15-16 and before that I'll only make sure the class is running smoothly. After my exams then I'll be trying to keep up as I've been attempting to raise snails for some time and know I can benefit from the class to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Project DIBS is one of three major projects run by the DIBS Foundation and the mission of the DIBS Foundation is:

"The mission of the DIBS Foundation is to conduct research and provide education and outreach activities related to ocean literacy and breeding of marine invertebrates in captivity."

The vision for the DIBS Foundation is:

"Oceans and reefs are under numerous threats, including a lack of awareness of environmental issues threatening them, effective action strategies to address the threats, unsustainable collection and a lack of knowledge of reproductive cycles and life histories of many species. The DIBS Foundation seeks to conduct research yielding qualitative and quantitative data to fill basic knowledge gaps, provide practical knowledge regarding the captive breeding of species, encourage the global use of breeding techniques to supplant wild collection, disseminate information to pertinent stakeholders and empower an environmentally sensitive and personally engaged citizenry."

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Brian

Rob
11-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Brian, thank you for sharing this information. i hope people here join in..
and please make sure you keep us posted on any future online classes like this

BrianPlankis
11-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Brian, thank you for sharing this information. i hope people here join in..
and please make sure you keep us posted on any future online classes like this

Rob,

Your welcome, thanks for being a good DIBS partner site :) Next time I will try to give a much earlier notice of when a class will be offered. We do have some plans for future online classes, both on this topic again if it goes well and on other topics related to coral reefs and the oceans.

Brian

V
11-02-2007, 05:53 PM
sweet thanks bud!

These moduals do sound interesting.
& here i thought slugs shoot love darts into each other when feeling abit peppy. Nice work, your defiantly thinking of the future.

Pescaiolo
11-02-2007, 06:46 PM
V you are a trip man! Your humor is excellent! Is that what they call them down under, love darts? :p

Brian thank you for sharing! I have a question, will these classes look good on a uni application say if I am going for a Marine Biology Degree?

V
11-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Is that what they call them down under, love darts? :p

yup, I picked that saying up from somewhere a little more exotic, Tasmania! :rotfl:

might have to be from down under to understand that cheap shot, maybe if i say
"in that place, everyones your cousin" it might paint how exotic lol