PDA

View Full Version : Stressed Monti cap

CarmieJo
10-28-2007, 11:38 PM
My monti cap has had a tough weekend. I was away and did not make it clear to my son that when I asked him to do a water change in the QT tank on Friday that it could not wait until Sunday. When I got home tonight it looked terrible. http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/CarmieJo/DSC_5046.jpg I did not check the parameters of the QT tank I just pulled to coral out, dipped in in Kent Tech-D in RO/DI water, and put it into my DT. As you can see it is sliming really bad and the center is bleached. Even worse, when I used my baster and tried to poof the slime off I could see flesh peeling off, down to the skeleton. You can see the worse bare spot near the top center of the coral

V
10-29-2007, 07:07 AM
ohhooo, not good. kids, sheesh.
what did x-box get in the way carmie.?:|

you dump the QT? cause that might shed some light on the contributing problem.
insufficient lighting, quickly failing parameters, hell even a deg or 2 over normal temp can set RTN in motion. Is it straight up bleaching, or you believe it an onset rtn stripping to the core.? how long was it in the QT carmie, i know your DT is more stable, but your taking a chance if she's fresh & polluting on top of that

Phurst
10-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Oook, that does look rough. If you can get it to settle, caps can regrow very quickly. I think the best you can do for it is give it good conditions and wait it out.

CarmieJo
10-29-2007, 09:19 AM
V, I think it was probably WoW that got in the way but yeah, I think you have the right of it. Rrrrrrrr!!!!

I did put it in the DT because the water in the QT even looked bad. It has been QT'd for 8 days and everything was looking good. I also had a small frogspawn, 1 mushroom and a freg with 4 zoa polyps on it in QT. I dropped those in my nano. The zoas were still closed up on Friday evening when we left and apparently remained that way. The frogspawn was looking stressed but appeared a little better when I went to bed. The mushroom being a mushroom looked fine.
I will monitor the parameters very closely (in both tanks). I am already planning doing water changes tonight. The lights are still off but I'll take a picture of the cap from the same angle tonight when I get home.

lReef lKeeper
10-29-2007, 05:10 PM
i am going to agree with Pearson. the best thing right now would be to wait it out. if it starts getting worse, you can frag it or frag off the bad parts of it, and it should recover quickly. let us know if we can help you with it.

CarmieJo
10-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Just got home and it is no longer sliming but is now bleaching. This was shot from the same angle, same settings under the same lighting.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/CarmieJo/DSC_5062.jpg

I am either going to cry or throttle my kid!

Mr. Tang
10-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Can RTN happen to montipora sps??

Phurst
10-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Oooo, THAT'S not good :(

lReef lKeeper
10-29-2007, 10:19 PM
no its not !! it does not even look like there is a good spot left to frag. i have some i am growing out that i can send you when it gets big enough (if this one does not do a complete 180).

CarmieJo
10-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Yeah I am pretty upset :cry:. I don't know if it is a good or bad sign that it produced more mucus after I did a water change tonight. At least it must mean that it is not totally dead.

Danamck
10-30-2007, 02:05 AM
Sorry Carmie. I have to agree - it doesn't look good - but here's hoping for the best.

Yes - I am very familiar with WoW - my wife and son are totally addicted! No joke. But this does give me lots of guilt-free time to spend on my tanks!

CarmieJo
10-30-2007, 07:51 PM
I don't even want to learn how to play. I see how rich the game is and how easy it is to get sucked in.

Mr. Tang
10-30-2007, 08:36 PM
WOW = War of Worlds??? video game?

CarmieJo
10-30-2007, 08:58 PM
World of Warcraft, its an online multi-player game.

Danamck
10-30-2007, 09:02 PM
World of Warcraft = electronic crack

V
10-31-2007, 06:53 AM
you know i sometimes place my name into a browser, just to see the carnage ive left behind, my paradoxical cool & sh^%ty electronic signature polluting the airwaves whilst trading under my own name, & you know what some other person stole my name & plays at one of those online warcraft the universe sites. Like the name wasn't alien enough....come on! http://www.alexander-oberg.de/smileys/upsidedown.gif
I swear its not me...lol
No in all seriousness, its not me. I have trouble peeing straight, you think i could possibly control an online battle with middle earth something-er-others till 3am in the morning:unsure:

So please ask your boy carmie, to nuke the $%#& out of this veriann character..lol
http://www.alexander-oberg.de/smileys/confused.gifthat was weird!

CarmieJo
11-03-2007, 10:30 PM
LOL, I'll pass the word on V! You need your name back, there can't be another like you around.

CarmieJo
11-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Here is another picture, I may actually have a bit of viable tissue left. What do you think?
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/CarmieJo/DSC_5100.jpg

V
11-03-2007, 10:42 PM
LOL, I'll pass the word on V! You need your name back, there can't be another like you around.

your damn skippy there can only be one..lol