PDA

View Full Version : Algae Tank

jeepjon
10-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Has anyone here ever tried to make an algae only tank? Kind of like a planted tank for saltwater? I didn't know how many types of macroalgae you could get...would make a cool tank for a variation on the FOWLR.

Right now I don't have any saltwater tanks (but may once I buy a house in a year...) I just have my one FW tank. Anyway...I thought it might be interesting to have a FOWLR and have a few fish, and a lot of different macros, like caulerpa, chaeto, halimeda might be interesting if done right.

Thanks,
Jon

CarmieJo
10-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Its not exactly macro algae but here is a great article on a seagrass planted tank. Beyond the Refugium: Seagrass Aquaria by Sarah Lardizabal - Reefkeeping.com (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/sl/index.php)

jeepjon
10-30-2007, 07:12 AM
Thanks for that info! That is exactly what I was looking for.
Was thinking a lagoonal type tank with LR, aquatic plants, and some fish might be an interesting twist to the typical FOWLR.
-Jon

Astrivian
10-30-2007, 06:16 PM
More power to you. I think seagrass tanks are a new, and growing, trend in the hobby. I have been interested in doing one for a while, but i think i need to stick to one hobby at a time for the moment :)

jeepjon
10-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Well, I currently have no saltwater tanks...but WHEN I get another one, I want to do someting interesting. Not that reefs aren't interesting, but a different style of tank might bring something new to the hobby.
-Jon

laurabolyard
01-06-2008, 10:34 PM
excccccellllent article!!!! Ive been thinking for a long time, how interesting it would be to have just a few plants and macro algea. Im on the research wagon!!

CarmieJo
01-06-2008, 11:37 PM
One of my friends has a seagrass tank with pipefish and seahorses. It is very cool.

Astrivian
01-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Are they starting to make tanks with this in mind? I have seen a lot of very tall tanks in the store and i know the seagrasses need a very very deep sand bed, which would fit quite nicely in one of these tall tanks.

No no, i can't buy one. I must limit the seawater induced insanity a little before my wife looses it :P

lReef lKeeper
01-07-2008, 06:44 PM
No no, i can't buy one. I must limit the seawater induced insanity a little before my wife looses it :P

I HEAR THAT BROTHER !! AAAAAAAA MEN !!

Bobby2
01-14-2008, 02:05 AM
my last tank was a saltwater planted tank. I could not find seagrass in my area but my tank was cool none the less. If you have any questions I would be glad to help if I can.:cool:

laurabolyard
01-14-2008, 05:50 PM
I just got my first clump of red macro

I love it!! It has xenias growing from it!! It adds such color and texture! I have been to every LFS and that was all I could find($20 OUCH). I have spent A LOT of time searching online and have found some fab stuff that I would like to try! I need to do some more research to make sure that what I like will be ok and work.

I saw some red sea grape that actually looked pink (botryocladia)

chenille/red flame

orgo/gracilaria pacifica

anyone familiar?

Is it wrong to love a clump?

Seahorsedreams
01-14-2008, 11:50 PM
You talking about this kind of pink?

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/ReneeHix0609/pinkalgae.jpg

laurabolyard
01-14-2008, 11:57 PM
yes, yes, yes! It is soo fabulous! I found it on a couple of websites, but sold out!

Seahorsedreams
01-15-2008, 12:43 AM
If you didn't want it too fast I could grow some out to send ya a strand. You just missed a harvest.

laurabolyard
01-15-2008, 06:18 PM
I would be so happy to purchase your next harvest! It will really add color and texture to my tank (its the former floral designer in me) Keep me posted! It looks wonderful:)

I see you must have seahorses. I had to find a new home for mine this past summer. I was away for a month, and my horses only ate live food. I dont think it would have been feesable for someone else to care for them:roll: I miss them, but it sure was work. If I were to do it again, I would definatly know to buy tank raised, frozen food eating horses!
Laura

Bobby2
01-16-2008, 02:11 AM
WOW THAT COOL!!!

I want some..

I have some thing call blue ochetodes?

or at least that is what TheNexisOne from RC plant and Macro forum calls it.
I can't find a pic but when I get some pic's of my tank you will see it.

Seahorsedreams
01-16-2008, 12:43 PM
I would be so happy to purchase your next harvest! It will really add color and texture to my tank (its the former floral designer in me) Keep me posted! It looks wonderful:)

Purchase!?! You pay for shipping and it's yours. The first stand was given to me and hence it is my turn to share. This stuff is great. It grows under HQIs and in one of my seahorse tanks that has a 5000K - 13w bulb in a 17" tall tank.

BUT.... note that this stuff can look red under certain lighting. In my 12 gallon JBJ nanocube the stuff was darker. The white tips you see would occur when it was going through a growth spurt..

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/ReneeHix0609/lionandgrape2.jpg

Seahorsedreams
01-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Here it is in a 24 gallon JBJ with stock lights. The pink one above is in the low light seahorse tank.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/ReneeHix0609/redgreen.jpg

When I moved from South Texas to South California I had to give up my WC horses. I would hop in my car over there once a week to go shimprn' for their food. I always had to go back the next day to bring back the "extras" like pipefish and crabs. Now I only have CB. But CBs do not get as big as them good ole WCs. And nothing matches their color.... you just don't see them anymore. But I wouldn't recommend seahorses to anyone. They are much harder and worrysome than any of my other tanks. At least I now have a chiller on their tank because I almost had a heart attack this past summer.

Bobby, you're number.....2.

laurabolyard
01-16-2008, 07:04 PM
I look forward to the harvest!! I love the whole "pay it forward" concept, it works nicely! I have some green seagrape on the live rock I just bought (some anemones on there too, and no doubt some other things!). Everyones taste is different, my 'know-it-all neighbor couldnt understand why I paid money for some seaweed (its fabulous). What a great way to add color rather inexpensively!

I miss my seahorses, but I don't miss racing to get grass shrimp before the LFS closed, or trying to have people care for them when away. I had real good luck with them, but it was definatly work. They went to a good home though!

I may try again if I hear of tank-raised frozen food-eating specimens! Let me know if you hear:up:

Thanx<
Laura

Bobby2
01-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Ok the first pic looks crazy….. My red grape looks like the next couple of pics under my aqua design Amano 5k bulb

Bobby2
02-07-2008, 01:07 PM
yea Renee I am number 2
who do you think put the freakin laser beams on the freakin sharks?