PDA

View Full Version : Zooplankton

Jimm
03-10-2006, 04:00 PM
So, as many of you know, I have all of my corals in my QT while I'm switching tanks around. Well I also put a few snails and hermits in there to keep the place clean. It's a standard 10 gallon tank. So I was just looking over at the thing and the water had turned slightly milky. I looked closer and found my trocus snails spawning. at least that what I think it is. A white cloud of stuff shooting out of them. Sort of like the pictures Rob put up about his clams. Only on a smaller scale. Shortly thereafter the skimmer started going nuts. So I shut it off. The stoney corals in the tank all are gobbling up the food. I'm keeping an eye on the tank in case the bioload gets too high. I'll turn the skimmer back on in an hour or so after the corals have had their feast. Anything else I need to be concerned with in a tank this small?

Rob
03-10-2006, 04:14 PM
my turbos do this also, i wouldn't say regularly, but its truly a cool site to see, i have some images i will try and post later.

the stuff is good coral food and fish food for that matter. but it can also lead to excess nutrient issues.

i would say kick the skimmer back on when you can, and if it doesn't clear up in a few hours do a water change to help it out.

if it was a larger tank i would say, no worries, but i the small tank you might need to help it out a bit

Jimm
03-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Yeah it's clearing up now. I think it'll be ok but I'll keep an eye on it. I think the corals have had their fill so I'm turning the skimmer back on.

Jimm
03-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Next Morning: All is well. Water is crystal clear again. Parameters normal. Thank You Aqua C Remora.

Jimm
03-11-2006, 09:18 PM
OK, today I have a cyano outbreak. Time for that water change. I'm firing upi the RO/DI unit.