PDA

View Full Version : Nova Extreme T5 vs Sunpod 20"

elmar
10-27-2007, 12:30 AM
Hello all, I am thinking of converting my 10 gallon freshwater tank to saltwater. My goal is to have some polyps, CUC, and 1 or 2 very small fish. I'd love to add some sort of soft coral later. My question is, should I get the Nova Extreme or a Sunpod 20" ? I know that the Sunpod is a good light, but I am afraid it might warm up the tank way too much and I'd hate to fork out another $150 - 250 for a chiller. Also, the 10 g tank measures 20" length, and the Nova Extreme either comes as a 18" or 24" - do any of you know if these have adjustable legs?

CarmieJo
10-27-2007, 01:21 AM
I don't know your answer about adjustable legs on the Nova fixture but I believe that the light is of good quality. Another option would be something like Viper 70 Watt HQI Clamp on Light: Aquarium Equipment and Supplies - Aqua Buys (http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=jbj-viper-light-70). I think the design would allow enough room for air to circulate and not heat up your tank. Aqua Buys is a TR sponsor.

Have you ever used any copper based medication in your tank?

elmar
10-27-2007, 01:25 AM
Cool thanks for your recommendation on the Viper. Looks like a cool light and will definitely have to do my homework on all of these lights.

As far as using copper based meds - nope - never have used that. Why do you ask?

CarmieJo
10-27-2007, 01:35 AM
elmar, (is that as in el mar?)

Copper may leach into the silicon seals when us medicate the tank and then leach back into the water. It is hazardous to inverts and will kill them.

BTW, I've not used the Viper but I think it looks practical.

elmar
10-27-2007, 02:22 AM
Well yes it is - "The Ocean" = El Mar...lol

OK - So good thing I haven't used copper.

DreamWeaver
10-27-2007, 07:57 PM
I have a Nova Extreme T5 fixture. I have a 36" model and it does not have adjustable legs. The legs are about 2" high.