PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish with Yellow Belly?

mcastfalk
10-14-2007, 06:59 PM
I just put 2 ocellaris in my display tank last week. They were in QT for a month with no real issues (some stringy white stool from one, treated with parasite medicated fish food). Bought them as a pair. The larger of the two now looks to have a much more yellowish cast to its under belly. The other one really doesn't have this, just a touch of it. Am I feeding them too much? Feed them about twice a day, once with flake or pellets the other time with frozen food consisting mainly of shrimp. There's three other fish in the tank too, so I'm putting just a little more food than I did before.

Any thoughts?

Michael

Amphibious
10-15-2007, 03:41 AM
First of all...Congratulations on the QT program. Too few people do it.

Second, without pictures it's hard to tell what, if anything might be going on with the color change. Off hand I'd say, relax and enjoy your fish.

Third, again it's hard to tell if you're feeding enough or too much. Are the fish eating all that you put in in about two to three minutes? Are you feeding enough that your clean-up crew is getting fed? If yes and yes, then your doing fine.

Dick

mcastfalk
10-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the reply. After watching them for a week, I think this may just be some coloration in their skin/bodies. Both of them have it. I feed the tank about 2 or three times a day. It seems the fish vigorously consume it rather quickly. Some does float down to the substrate & rocks.

Before I put the clownfish in, I used to feed the fish once a day. These two little fish consume a good bit of food. I haven't tried them on leafy vegetables yet & need to get a good veggie clip. Just flakes, pellets & frozen food so far. Everyone seems to be doing fine.

Pinecone_Jeff
10-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Hi Michael,
Another thing to consider are the lights at the LFS are probably really different from the light you have on your tank. So different colors might be more obvious under certain lighting conditions.

And about food, I'd also consider feeding nori, as a suppliment, to the clowns. It's algae (make sure the only ingredient is nori... some packages add salt, presevatives, etc.), there are different kinds algae nori to choose from, and I think its better than feeding land based plant foods to your fish as ocean based aglae are probably more digestable and therefore more nutritious. But see'n as clowns are omniverous, a varied diet, as you're doing, is great.

And lets see some pics! ;)