PDA

View Full Version : How can I make a canister work better?

texasfootball21
10-06-2007, 09:01 PM
I bought a used 20 gallon tank with a filstar X3 filter.
I understand that canister filters aren't good because of nitrate buildup.
Is there any thing that I can do to the filter to fix this? I really don't want to just not put it to any use!
Can I clean it often? Or do something else?
Thanks.

CarmieJo
10-06-2007, 09:24 PM
You could use it to run carbon and create flow in your tank at the same time. Just be sure to change the carbon regularly.

texasfootball21
10-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Okay thanks!
But is there a way to keep it from becoming a nitrate factory?

Phurst
10-06-2007, 10:15 PM
They generaly will not be such a problem if you do not let it get colonised by nitrifying bacteria, which means totaly cleaning it out every couple of days. Wash all of the media and the canister itself in fresh water and clean out every last trace of detritus. As Carmie mentioned, you can use it to run carbon in, or yu could pull out all of the media and fill it with LR rubble. Either way, it will still trap detritus and need to be cleaned out regularly (although less so with LR) Do you need it for flow or what, cause honestly, I'd just throw a powerhead in and ditch the canister.

texasfootball21
10-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Would it work well if I filled it with LR rubble?
I really would like to use it mainly because I have it.

I was wondering, if I didn't use it could I take the top off and use the pump to take water out and replace water to a sump? It is a really cool pump on the top, would this work?

CarmieJo
10-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Usually the pumps on cannisters are not submersible. Even if you didn't use it all the time you would still be able to use it for water polishing. That is what I use my cannister for.

texasfootball21
10-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Okay thanks.
Would removing anything in it help at all?

Phurst
10-07-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm not familiar with the canister you have. What's in it currently?

texasfootball21
10-07-2007, 10:27 PM
To tell you the truth, I don't really know for sure.
It has a sponge filter pad and under that a lot of carbon, I think that's it.

V
10-07-2007, 11:15 PM
im not as cautious as some of the others, i still have a couple of working units in play from time to time. carbon i dont change out as often as the americans seem to, why if your carbon is good quality & still appears to be working:). like anything the carbon along with the canister contents gets a good washout in the changeout water, do it not, and then the troubles can occur.
As for bactera populating the unit, who cares, surface area comparisons in a simple external canister dont even compare to the rest of the sh@t we have running, so if people want to worry about that, let em i say!

clownfish4me
10-08-2007, 06:37 AM
i have a fluval canister filter and i almost killed a panther grouper for using it on his tank. i know now the filter was holding nitrates and other debris that caused the water quality to drop like a stone! i am going to sell my canister and add the little cash towards a sump/fuge, its the best thing to do for the fishes sake....:)

texasfootball21
10-20-2007, 10:54 PM
How effective would the filter be filled with LR?
So using the pump to power a sump wouldn't work? Bummer.

Thanks.