PDA

View Full Version : IT's Game Time.... Blue wants to Play

Blue_June
09-29-2007, 02:54 PM
:heart:Man.... I Love this hobby.... But it isn't easy.... I'm still a rookie in this game but I can say it's good to be around so many veterans.... The past 3 weeks I been Cycling my tank.... and I try every thing from the Bio- Spara to the old school (Cycling w/some handy Fishs)... I been keeping a Aquarium log and I can said it's was a good idea.... I can say that the Bio-Spara was a Bust (don't waste your money on it) But the old school way works pretty good BUT!!!!!!! Now I can get these Damn Damsels out.... So Now I'm fishing out of my fish tank and it not easy.... I try all kinds of traps but they dont really fit my style.... So I have to put some tricks from my bag... I started to feed the fish from the net a few time to get them use to food coming frome the net then I stop feeding for a day and then went I put the net back in with the food they swin right to the net and I got them right out but is not easy like it sounds its take a lot of Patience I still have two more to go.... But I dont think I can catch that DAMN Jewel that way... But the way still away from Jewel they are some mean suckers.... So while I take back my tank from them damn damsels Im going to stock it with corals Any suggestions on how to do this..... Holla at your boi Blue some I want make that mistake like I did when I cycle my tank with the damsels......

V
09-29-2007, 06:12 PM
welcome to TR blue.

some lessons are harder than others to swallow. I guess they are paying you back for making their eyes sting while the cycle happened....lol

gwen_o_lyn
09-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Welcome to TR Blue :)

Tell us more about your setup. What size of tank and what kind of equipment do you have?

Mr. Tang
09-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Welcome Blue

There seems to be a lot of people from the Lousiville area here at TR!!!

Go Wildcats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lReef lKeeper
09-29-2007, 09:29 PM
LMAO, where you from Blue ?? welcome to TR, you have stumbled upon a great site with a lot of knowledge.

CarmieJo
09-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Hey Blue! :welcome: to TR. We're glad to have you here. Good luck with the damsel.
Does anybody have the Melev fish trap video? I looked but couldn't find it.

gwen_o_lyn
09-29-2007, 11:28 PM
This one??

http://www.reefcast.com/videos/tuckertrapper2.mpg (http://www.reefcast.com/videos/tuckertrapper2.mpg)

:D

CarmieJo
09-30-2007, 02:09 AM
This one??

http://www.reefcast.com/videos/tuckertrapper2.mpg (http://www.reefcast.com/videos/tuckertrapper2.mpg)

:D

That's the one! If all else fails you can start working with acrylic Blue.

V
09-30-2007, 03:01 AM
those boys are crazy, definately my type of humor.
Simple idea, , although H pattern (clear pref) piping with terminator caps at te ends for damsels will work, they would explore it trying to lay territorial claim giving you enough time to pull it out without breaking a sweat. depends what materials you have around the place i guess, if you have plenty of acrilic like those boys then build a building for the job.

Pescaiolo
09-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Have fun! I have a trap that I have caught many of damsels in. Its the same basic design as Marc on Reefcast. There is one damsel left only I think its too smart to fall for it. I usually set the trap in there when I feed my anemone. I shut off the pumps off for an hour so it can get its full. During this time I bait the trap and set it in the tank. The damsel won't go near it and waits for other fish to go in and it eats food that the other fish drop on their way out. It also bites my hand anytime I put it in the tank and it likes to knock over things I just moved or placed in the tank. Its crazy how much attitude this one little fish has! I guess it's mad that I took its mate out. If only the stupid thing knew I would reunite them as soon as it goes in the trap! :roll:

What do you plan on keeping?

Blue_June
09-30-2007, 03:57 PM
75 Gal w/Overflow
30 Gal Sump
Protein Skimmer (Reef Octopus)
250 watt Pro Heat
2 Hydor Koralia (Powerhead)
Mag-Drive (700 GPH)
Outer Orbit 150 HQI
65 Lbs of LR P-Fiji

That's my setup

Blue_June
09-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Sorry Mr. Tang In I CARDS Fan........Go Cards

Mr. Tang
09-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Hey thats ok At least you still have your reef!!!!!!!!!!

Rick is a great Coach!! I wished we would have been smarter with him

Later

Blue_June
09-30-2007, 04:03 PM
I want to have A mix setup with soft and hard corals and fish.... But Not sure how to go about that..

CarmieJo
09-30-2007, 04:32 PM
First rule - QT everything!
Rule 2 - never use tap water. Use RO or RO/DI.
Rule 3 - research everything before you add it to your tank. Your LFS may be great but don't count on them, do your own research.
Rule 4 - put the more peaceful and less territorial fish in first!
Rule 5 - don't buy cute little fish that will outgrow for your tank. See rules 3.
Rule 6 - have a stocking plan for fish and corals.
Rule 7 - plan your aquascape so there are places for all the corals you want.
Rule 8 - space corals to avoid sweepers and (as much as possible) allopathy.
Rule 9 - run carbon to help mitigate effects of allopathy

thecoralreefer
10-03-2007, 11:55 AM
What Carmie said. In plannig put LPs low or med height Sps go higher. Lots of fish to pick from in a reef.
But most Angels are out. Get a good clean up crew some for the sand and some for the rocks. Blk and Wht hermits will eat corals. Red ones knock thing over due to there size.
Most of all have fun! But research is very important.