PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work in acrylic?

Russel P
09-21-2007, 09:51 PM
So while brainstorming about an angle if I purchase this LFS, it occurred to me that I have a carpentry background. I wonder how much the investment would be in setting up a shop to work with acrylic? Even if just for just sumps, w/d filters and skimmers? And if I could make sumps, why not tanks? Just wondering if someone here had tried their hand at it.

lReef lKeeper
09-21-2007, 09:52 PM
manny does ... thesaent14 on here. he can build anything from acrylic.

CarmieJo
09-21-2007, 10:03 PM
What he said.^^ He even got some special machine a few months ago for working with it.

JustDavidP
09-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Love the smell of pine ripping through a blade... nothing cleaner, more natural... Ah carpentry!!!

Not so much for the smell of ripping acrylic, weld on etc. Cancer in a jar ;)

In all seriousness, there is a market there. Just keep in mind that it is "regional". Nobody in Cali is going to pay the shipping etc. for your work when a local can do it for them.

Also keep in mind that unless you are doing big "production runs", the cost of materials is such that you're really not making a lot of money. You may be able to eek out a few bucks with "squares" (ie. tanks, sumps) but if you get into specialty products that require acrylic tubes, flanges, etc (ie. skimmers, reactors), you'll lose your shirt.

A buddy of mine and I figured that unless we can get the milling done to make dozens of skimmers at once, it was not worth it. You can ask him...here... on TR. He goes by the name of Neo. Gustavo is his name.

With that said, it is NOT rocket science and is actually a lot of fun to do. Some of my best days are spent in friends' acrylic shops.

Dave

thesaent14
09-24-2007, 07:47 PM
i have now my own shop i am making skimmers,sumps,tanks,cal reactors, and kalk reactors anything you can think for fish tanks i have work with acrylic for 5 years now i start it like a hobby and now is my company i tell you if you don't know what are you getting in to and don't know how to work with acrylic just try first working out of your home because you will know soon in off you will need lots of tools just to give you a good idea i have 2 cnc machines small one and a 5X9 cutting area cnc machine trust me they are not chip the small one is like 4,500 and the large one is 25.000 that's only those tow just think delta saw and the list go on and on that's only tools then you will have to learn the software for the machine don't get me wrong if you have the money for it go for it but if you are looking to start from the bottom with out any experience on how to work with acrylic you will lose lots of money

any other Q?

manny

JustDavidP
09-25-2007, 09:22 AM
you will need lots of tools just to give you a good idea i have 2 cnc machines small one and a 5X9 cutting area cnc machine

THAT's the way to do it. Literally use a CNC, make "components" to store away so when it comes time to build something, you are literally taking the parts, and welding them together. With a CNC, you have the ability to make "cookie cutter" parts. Doing some of the more detailed work (flanges, etc.) freehand is hard and typically doesn't produce a good fitting product.

Again, using a table to cut squares, making smallish tanks and sumps is an easy "basement project" and is a lot of fun.

Dave

nay,kid
09-30-2007, 11:34 PM
I am also interested in making sumps and tanks. any good books or other resources would be great. I have access to a wood shop and metal shop.I also have access to kilns of all sizes for bending and shaping.

clownfish4me
10-01-2007, 07:40 AM
i would like to also diy some equipment but i am having a hard time finding the acrylic to start my projects. buying off the INTERNET and shipping just isn't feasible for me. (cash flow challenged!) :D
let us know how your adventure goes!