PDA

View Full Version : Pincushion Urchin, Blue Tuxedo

Arcar
03-07-2006, 02:14 PM
I was wondering If a Pincushion Urchin, Blue Tuxedo would do good in my 40g tank? I had one along time ago.. They are neat little things... But I'm wondering will he Push things over in my tank and climb all over my corals?

JustDavidP
03-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Arcar... First and foremost, welcome to TR. I was going to reply in the other thread..but you know...two birds...one stone ;)

Yes, a blue tux, in my opinion, is the BEST urchin for a smaller tank. They stay small (3" or so) and tend to go over and around things, rather than through them.

I have a friend with a pink pincusion. It is beautiful, but is a BULLDOZER. It knocks over EVERYTHING in his tank. He has a blue tux in the same system that is very well behaved.

I have a blue tux in my 26 bowfront (seahorse tank) that helps me keep algae at bay. Yes, they do eat coralline. To some, that is a problem. Personally, I think that removing some of the coralline on the LR is a GOOD thing. It opens the pourous rock and therefore allows more efficient biological filtration. To boot, mine eats macro algaes, even some SHORT hair algae (nothing will touch the long, bitter clumps) and has even been noted to sit in the midst of a large cyano bloom! I don't know if it actually ate the cyano, but it did mow through it and help break up the 'slick'.

Be well.

Dave

Arcar
03-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks Allot! Dave!
Another quest would it be ok in a 12g Nano..
It is about 2 mouths old and I have some crazy! Algae Growth! :)

Rob
03-07-2006, 04:25 PM
see we learn something everyday, i didn't realize that they eat coralline.. i might have to do some more research into the... i need something to control my coralline.. :D

Arcar
03-07-2006, 04:47 PM
hehe :) Do you think they would be ok in a Nano too?

JustDavidP
03-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Honestly, the question is more of "water quality" than tank size...though the two are often related.

Pincusion urchins do NOT take well to waters with elevated nitrates, fluctuating PH or anything less than "pristine" quality water. They will begin to shed their spines.

We all know that it is harder to keep "perfect conditions" in smaller tanks. However, it can be done. IF you can keep the water parameters on target, have plenty of resources for feeding (good algae growth), and plenty of space for the urchin to roam and/or hide, I'd say "go for it".

By the way, MANY people feed thier urchins Nori too. Mine does take it, but with all the C. Serrulata in my tank, it stays closer to it. It actually eats it like a long strand of pasta. The nasty thing is at the same time as it is gorging itself with macro, it is pooping continuously! They can get messy. It's best to have good quality skimming and other clean up crew critters to help.

Dave