PDA

View Full Version : Macna Updates????

salt-rookie
09-18-2007, 10:39 AM
OK..I KNOW that a large contingency of TR folks made it to MACNA.....For those of us who could NOT go this year......How about a replay of highlights for the rest of us??? PRETTY PLEASE???

CarmieJo
09-18-2007, 08:54 PM
It was great! http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/major-conference-events/5024-hello-macna.html#post59211
This was my first major conference and I was starry eyed the whole time. The speakers were inspiring and I learned a lot. For instance, how cool is it that Gerry Allen, the keynote speaker on Saturday night, was instrumental in researching the article I had read in National Geographic a few days before I left? Listening to Frank Marini made me think that we should all be breeding Banggai cardinals, a fish first described by Gerry Allen.

The trade show was really diverse, with products from those the everyday hobbyist would use to skimmers taller than me. It was neat to see all the latest and greatest products.

It was really nice to meet all the TR folks in person and make new friends with others in the hobby. I met people from all over the USA, Canada, Germany, and Netherlands and heard people speaking Japanese.

Rob
09-18-2007, 10:21 PM
carmie did a great summary.. many great items.. im going to talk about it briefly in an upcomming show too.. :)

really was a awesome time.. cant wait till next year

CarmieJo
09-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Now is the time to registrar for next year. It is only $89 until the end of Sept.

salt-rookie
09-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Where is it next year??

CarmieJo
09-19-2007, 12:02 AM
Atlanta! And, the Saturday night banquet is at the Georgia Aquarium!!!
MACNA XX - General Info (http://www.macnaxx.com/)

rroselavy
09-19-2007, 02:46 PM
I met people from all over the USA, Canada, Germany, and Netherlands and heard people speaking Japanese.

I work in Animation, and this sounds like my typical workday while in production (except the Japanese is Korean).

-S

salt-rookie
09-19-2007, 06:42 PM
THAT sure isn't much further West!!!

Rob
09-19-2007, 07:37 PM
but, you now have a whole year to prepare and save up for it.. :)

rroselavy
09-19-2007, 08:09 PM

I second that. Has there ever been a MACNA in L.A.?

I would only go if it were within - say - 2.5 hours drive of my house... or maybe as far as Vegas if my wife and I made a weekend out of it.

I am jealous that you all hooked up...must have been fun.

-S

wildeone
09-19-2007, 09:25 PM
There was an IMAC in Vegas, but it got cancelled due to lack of registrations. The Chicago IMAC is in May I believe.

Phurst
09-19-2007, 09:49 PM
The family has been wanting to see the Atlanta aquarium for a while now, so I've begun planting the seeds. Atlanta is only a days drive, so it's definitely do-able.

Rob
09-19-2007, 09:50 PM
i dont think MACNA has every been held on the west coast before..
but again.. now there is lots of time to plan for the next one.. :)

salt-rookie
09-19-2007, 10:25 PM
What'd be worng with the middle of the country???

wildeone
09-19-2007, 10:38 PM
As I understand it, the big issue is that a local reef club usually taxed with actually making the event happen. That means the city needs a very organized and dedicated club. The Pittsburgh group did an awesome job this year. I never saw anything get out of hand or away from them. They put a ton of work into the event and the volenteers made it happen the day of the event. Big hats off to them!

So the city has to have the group to run it.

CarmieJo
09-20-2007, 01:42 AM
I second Duane's comments. Last year's MACNA was in Houston. Pearson, I'm going to go for sure!

salt-rookie
09-20-2007, 08:46 AM
I'll be there as well as IMAC in May!

Steven Pro
09-21-2007, 07:37 AM
Any club can bid to host MACNA. You only need a decent size club, a good venue, and a handful of dedicate volunteers to pull one off.

Here is a listing of past host cities. As you can see, it has moved around a good bit.

20 - Atlanta, Georgia
19 - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
18 - Houston, Texas
17 - Washington D. C.
16 - Boston, Massachusetts
15 - Louisville, Kentucky
14 - Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas
13 - Baltimore, Maryland
12- Fort Lauderdale, Florida
11- Louisville, Kentucky
10 - Long Beach, California
9 - Chicago, Illinois
8 - Kansas City, Missiouri
7 - Louisville, Kentucky
6 - Cleveland, Ohio
5 - Toronto, Canada
4 - Miami, Florida
3 - Newark, New Jersey
2 - Cleveland, Ohio
1 - Toronto, Canada

kj_yoda
09-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Change to Reservation Procedures for MACNA XX

Beginning next week, those who register and those who already have registered via PayPal will be sent a link with information how to register for a hotel room at the Westin Peachtree Plaza.

rroselavy
09-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Here is a listing of past host cities. As you can see, it has moved around a good bit.

Thanks Steven-

I did some digging around a few days ago, but could not find the list that you just posted.

See - MACNA did come to Long Beach!!! California may be due again... :)

-S

Steven Pro
09-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks Steven-

I did some digging around a few days ago, but could not find the list that you just posted.

See - MACNA did come to Long Beach!!! California may be due again... :)

-S

I compiled that list myself. I don't event think MASNA has it listed on their site anywhere.

As to California, you only need a club to step up and put in a good bid to host the show.

rroselavy
09-24-2007, 12:10 PM
I compiled that list myself. I don't event think MASNA has it listed on their site anywhere.

As to California, you only need a club to step up and put in a good bid to host the show.

Thanks. I wonder if hosting MASNA usually represents a source of funding for the host club, a break even, or *gasp*, a loss. It seems as if a club could get A LOT more than they bargained for, not to mention liability issues.

litigiously yours,

-S

Steven Pro
09-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Some clubs make money, some break even, and others do lose money. It depends on the people running the show, how good they are at selling booths, attracting attendees, budgeting, limiting grandiose plans, etc.