PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Stage question

belatube
09-17-2007, 02:45 AM
Hello guys!

just registered today. and been listening to talkingreef for awhile on itunes and reefcast.

im in my cycling stages on my tank! and im very excited and soo hard to be patient but dont worry i have been! :up: my question is. i took robs advice to putting uncooked, season raw shrimp in my tank and left it in my tank for 3 days (by the ways it did turn orange like it was cooked.. this is normal im assuming right? my temp never got higher than 81 deg.

my question is.. its been 3 days since i took the shrimp out of the tank.. my nitrite level is still undetectable. how long does it usually take for me to start seeing any nitrite level to go up?

tank set up.. 34g cadlight.. 3 inch live sand bed along with 40 pounds of LR (cured)

heres my daily log of just amonia and nitrite.. ph been stable at 8.1 and salinity at 1.24 (using Instant ocean oceanmaster kit)

day 1 (placed shrimp)
ammonia 0 nitrite 0

day 3 (took out shrimp)
amonia 8 nitrite 0

day 4
amonnia 10 or higher nitrite 0... nitrate 1 (some reason der was a hint of nitrate already)

day 6
amonia 9 nitrite still 0...........

CarmieJo
09-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Hi belatube and :welcome: to TR.

You are right on track. You have ammonia and as the bacteria in your tank works to break it down it will become nitrite and then nitrate. The trace of nitrate that you have is probably from your rock.

V
09-20-2007, 03:17 AM
its like watching a pot full of water boil, only fun for the first 5 minutes, then you think @#$% who invented this activity. :D

salt-rookie
09-20-2007, 08:45 AM
NitrItes have to come up and go to 0 ppm as well as Ammonia return to 0 ppm. Nitrates will spike. Do a water change and you are ready to go. KEEP a source of ammonia in the tank! This will help you avoid a secondary NitrIte spike.

belatube
09-21-2007, 02:54 AM
im really suppose to cycle during the cycle? i read that you should not since it will prolong the cycle. but do a water change in the end. thanks for all your reply. nitrite has gone up! it was i thought i missed it go since i didnt test for 2 days. and missed it.

CarmieJo
09-21-2007, 08:25 PM
im really suppose to cycle during the cycle? i read that you should not since it will prolong the cycle. but do a water change in the end. thanks for all your reply. nitrite has gone up! it was i thought i missed it go since i didnt test for 2 days. and missed it. I am not sure what you mean by cycle during the cycle...

Phurst
09-21-2007, 09:32 PM
I think belatube was confused by the suggestion to add more ammonia after the cycle is complete. IMO this is not necessary.

V
09-24-2007, 03:04 AM
ok ready...listen, this is what i recommend, go the LFS, add 50lbs of sand, another 50lbs of rock, add in 5 shrimp, & maybe a lobster, turn the heat up, then drop it again,really cook that baby, then show me titanic, make your lighting go reverse cycle, then artic time, then australian time, then back to northern hemsphere time, add couple more shrimp, mix it up with a large shovel, stir up the sand real good, then add a cup of sugar, splash of vodka, slight twist of lime (good for the bactera's breath) and your done.

Ok so we just went through what you dont do, so on with the show...place sand, rocks, water into housing cube, add your catalyst for the bacterial replication & sit back & twist that beer bottle. :agree: simplistic process of what can easily become a forced chemisty, biology, & ineedanasprinology for the future. lol