PDA

View Full Version : Jasonananatal's Piece of the Reef.

Jasonanatal
09-10-2007, 03:08 AM
Hello Talking Reef members, let me introduce myself. My name is Jason and many may know me as Jaybedriften here on Talkingreef community. I started a new account since my old account would not let me post to any threads. I'm 25 years old and I reside in the Throggs Neck section of the Bronx with my wife Diana and our 1 year old Yorkshire Terrier Dusty as we await the birth of our first child Jayson Michael in November. I have been involved or more accurately addicted to the Marine Aqaurium hobby for about 3 years now. I have learned much through trial and error but through research I plan on creating a beauiful Reef Aquarium in my home. This thread is a journal of my trials and tribulations.

I will get into details shortly and provide many photographs. I would first like to state this disclaimer of sorts for everyone. I am not a millionare so whatever equipment I have currently running on my setup is one that I believe is tailored to my individual needs, financial standing and overall ability to get it through the door of my apartment and pass my wife. Whatever methods I currently employ are what work for me. I'm sure there are much better methods out and about that I do not currently know so please feel free to make any constructive criticism and do not flog me in village square for doing something differently then you do. With that being said let the show begin.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/Jasonanatal/90%20gallon%20Reef%20Aquarium/CanonDigitalRebelPhotographs160.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/Jasonanatal/90%20gallon%20Reef%20Aquarium/CanonDigitalRebelPhotographs027.jpg
Photograph - This was a photograph taken in the first week of July 2007 when I set up the aquarium initially there have been many changes since this photograph which I will describe and discuss further.

Jasonanatal
09-10-2007, 03:11 AM
Basic Aquarium Setup & Approval from the Mrs (http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/glossary.php?do=item&id=1).

After moving into out new apartment and sacrificing my sports car for a more family oriented vehicle my wife gave me the go ahead to move up in size from my previous 45 gallon Tall Glass Aquarium to something larger and was very generous in allowing me to take up an entire wall in our huge living room to do so. My primary focus has always been on water volumn and water quality but being that we live on the second floor of a 4 family apartment and actually located directly above my landlord, weight was definitely something to be considered. I decided that based on my budget, weight limitations, and overall operation expenditure that a 90 gallon All Glass Aquarium would be an excellent choice for my main display and that I would convert my previous 45 gallon Tall Glass Aquarium into my sump/refugium giving me a total of 135 gallons of water volumn which has been great in keeping fluctuations of any sort down to a bare minimum depending on what parameter you are focusing on. I have also incorporated a 25 gallon AcrylicWet/Dry Filter which has been converted to a Freshwater RO/DI Resevior for my DIY Automatic Top-Off system. Last but not least I have a 10 gallon Glass Aquarium that is utilized as my QT tank. (The QT tank never actually saw it's setup and use and eventually I payed a big price for that, lesson learned. I will explain more later.)

Key Points
90 gallon All Glass Aquarium utilized for my main display.
45 gallon Tall All Glass Aquarium utilized for my Sump/Refugium.
25 gallon Acrylic Wet/Dry Filter converted to a Freshwater RO/DI Resevior for my DIY Automatic Top-Off System.
10 gallon All Glass Aquarium utilized for my QT Aquarium.

Jasonanatal
09-10-2007, 03:11 AM
Location & Setup of my Reef Aquarium

Now being that my apartment is located on the second floor find and error for the Aquarium was my next concern. After many jumping test to located cross beams in my apartment and ensuring that the strongest area of floor was utilized along with my wifes approval of where she thought the Aquarium would look best I choose the spot. The 90 gallon All Glass Aquarium being utilized for my Main Display was placed on a Iron Stand. (Personally I would have loved to get the oak cabinet but being that we just purchased a brand new car the money was just not there. Maybe next setup.) The 45 gallon Tall All Glass Aquarium being utilized for my Sump/Refugium was placed directly on the floor to the right of the Main Display. (This made water changes a breeze allowing me to only have to raise my 5 gallon bucket to my waist instead of my head.) The rest of my equipment would be placed underneath the 90 gallon All Glass Aquarium being utilized for my Main Display to save on space.

Key Points

90 gallon All Glass Aquarium being utilized for my Main Display was placed on a Iron Stand.
45 gallonTall All Glass Aquarium being utilized for my Sump/Refugium was placed directly on the floor to the right of the Main Display. (This made water changes a breeze allowing me to only have to raise my 5 gallon bucket to my waist instead of my head.)
All other equipment would be placed underneath the 90 gallon All Glass Aquarium being utilized for my Main Display to save on space.

john0087
09-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Looks good man, keep it up.

How long has the tank been running?

That's a huge Maroon clown. I didn't think your tank was a 90 till i read the posts.

Good luck.

John

Jasonanatal
09-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Looks good man, keep it up.

How long has the tank been running?

That's a huge Maroon clown. I didn't think your tank was a 90 till i read the posts.

Good luck.

John

John0087, thank you for the compliments on my Reef Aquarium. The Reef Aquarium has been running since the second week of June 2007, so just a little over 3 months now. My Gold Stripped Maroon Clownfish is a beauty and she allow me to actually pet her. I consider this a rarity since most stories I have heard about Gold Stripped Maroon Clownfish entail their owners loosing chunks of flesh. :tongue2:

Small Fry
09-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Very nice setup, lots of water volume when it comes to filtering, lookin very nice :D

Jasonanatal
09-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Very nice setup, lots of water volume when it comes to filtering, lookin very nice :D

Small Fry, thank you very much for the compliments on my Reef Aquarium. As always the larger the water volume the better in my personal opinion.

V
09-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Jay i cant get past the name change, might take some time brother to become used to it.

well im glad you busted out of the originality box & modified your kids name to be destinctly different...lol Y could very well be the answer to that question indeed.:tongue2:

i wouldn't worry about the wood part, highly over rated if you ask me. Metal stands if propperly treated can be a great asset long term. Plus a magnetic fastern outer skin for the tank is only limited to your noodles creativity.:unsure:

You wrote: "Photograph - This was a photograph taken in the first week of July 2007 when I set up the aquarium initially there have been many changes since this photograph which I will describe and discuss further."

yeah i bet, changed from funk to gunk!:raining:
Glad to see the expansion bud, everything is looking good. I suggest really putting time into the sump & fuge with the merge.
Good to see you by the way, have to catch up for a bit of banter in the future bud.

Jasonanatal
09-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Jay i cant get past the name change, might take some time brother to become used to it.

well im glad you busted out of the originality box & modified your kids name to be destinctly different...lol Y could very well be the answer to that question indeed.:tongue2:

i wouldn't worry about the wood part, highly over rated if you ask me. Metal stands if propperly treated can be a great asset long term. Plus a magnetic fastern outer skin for the tank is only limited to your noodles creativity.:unsure:

You wrote: "Photograph - This was a photograph taken in the first week of July 2007 when I set up the aquarium initially there have been many changes since this photograph which I will describe and discuss further."

yeah i bet, changed from funk to gunk!:raining:
Glad to see the expansion bud, everything is looking good. I suggest really putting time into the sump & fuge with the merge.
Good to see you by the way, have to catch up for a bit of banter in the future bud.

Veriann, long time no chat buddy. It's great to here from you. I was starting to go through some withdrawels not being able to post to any threads on the Talking Reef. How are things in your neck of the woods? Me well I'm getting ready for the whole fatherhood thing and I'm excited as is my wife. She wants to raise the next Crocidile Hunter. LOL We will catch upi soon. Don't be a stranger and not use the PM feature. Talk to you soon buddy. Once again thank you for the ccompliments on my Reef Aquarium.

CarmieJo
09-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Looking good!

Jasonanatal
09-20-2007, 08:52 AM
Looking good!

CarmieJo, Thank you for the compliments on my Reef Aquarium.

Jasonanatal
09-22-2007, 06:36 AM
Cryptocaryn "Marine Ich" A Deadly Plague That Brought Havoc To My Reef Aquarium

As most Aquarist in the hobby we all do something that we wish was had the power to undue. Unfortunately my ability to turn back the hands of time was far and few between and I suffered for my anxiousness. We always say to quarentine your fish for a period of time before introducing them into your main Aquarium but I let my experience get the best of me. A massive case of Cryptocaryn "Marine Ich" whipped out the inhabitants of my beautiful Reef Aquarium and it was indeed a sad day in my part of the Reef. Of the inhabitants lost are listed below:

Starry Blenny
Blonde Naso Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Bullet Goby
3 Stripped DamselI will be adding a Quarentine Aquarium into my setup shortly this evening and as always my standard procedure will be to quarentine any new speciman for a period of 2 to 3 weeks before allowing them to become a permanent resident of my Reef Aquarium.

CarmieJo
09-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Aw, Jay. I am sorry that this has happened. I would move all of the remaining fish from your DT and let it lie fallow for 4-6 weeks. If it was my tank I would also treat the fish as a prophylaxis even if they are asymptomatic.

Jasonanatal
09-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Aw, Jay. I am sorry that this has happened. I would move all of the remaining fish from your DT and let it lie fallow for 4-6 weeks. If it was my tank I would also treat the fish as a prophylaxis even if they are asymptomatic.

CarmieJo, thank you for your sympathy. The Display Aquarium has not had a single fish in it for easily over 1 month now and I have a 65 watt Ultraviolet Sterilizer installed the next day after my troubles. I'm hoping to purchase a Starry Blenny once again and keep him in Quarentine for approximately 2 weeks which will bring me over the 1.5 month mark of having absolutely no fish within my Reef Aquarium. The only trouble is tracking down a Starry Bleny from a reputable source.

CarmieJo
09-22-2007, 05:39 PM
It sounds like you should be ready to go after you find your fish and QT him.

gwen_o_lyn
09-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Hi Jay,

The new tank is looking good. Congrats on the little one arriving soon.

Just be cautious of 3 tangs in a smaller tank. Ich is caused by stress and 3 tangs crunched together is very stressful. I recommend one tang that would live healthy and happy for a long time.

Talk to you soon!

Jasonanatal
09-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Hi Jay,

The new tank is looking good. Congrats on the little one arriving soon.

Just be cautious of 3 tangs in a smaller tank. Ich is caused by stress and 3 tangs crunched together is very stressful. I recommend one tang that would live healthy and happy for a long time.

Talk to you soon!

Gwen_o_lyn, thank you for the congrats on the baby. Just a few more weeks and he will be here to hold in my arms. I'm very excited. I'm interested in keeping just one Tang from this point on Maybe two Tangs tops. I'm Just torn between selecting from the following. :o Any recommendations from this list.

Powder Blue Tang
Blonde Naso Tang
Achilles Tang
Sohol Tang

gwen_o_lyn
09-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Powder Blue Tang
Blonde Naso Tang
Achilles Tang
Sohol Tang

You have some aggressive tangs in your lineup. Anything in the acanthurus genus usually has aggressive written all over it. I really really wanted a sohol tang, but after doing the reading I will wait til my blue tang dies. I might be waiting a long time, but that's ok. It's not worth the risk.

WWM is showing powder blues, also an acanthurus, as hard to keep- here's the article
PowdBlueTg (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/powdbluetg.htm)
If it's not going to live long, I'm not wasting my money nor pulling them from the ocean.

If you get an acathurus, plan on keeping just one. I'm not really a tang expert, just had the one and he's been around about 4 years. Just do some reading and keeping one is a good idea.

But if this was my choice and I could have any fish in the world right now, I would pick the sohol tang- they are gorgeous!!

fat walrus
09-23-2007, 12:47 AM
Only one tang in that size tank. No Sohol

Amphibious
09-23-2007, 01:34 AM
Jay,

Your 90gal, may seem big to you but, it's not going to be adequate for any tang in a short time. They grow big, need lots of swim space, are exceptionally fast swimers and get a bit aggresive toward tank mates. Don't get me wrong, Tangs are one of my favorites. Sometimes, in the right size tank, more than one can be kept but, you need lots of experience and an inordinant amount of luck. Having a UV sterilizer is a great idea and will cut down on the incidence of diease. However, that said, a tang (especially multiple Tangs) under stress (which can be caused by anything) may cause an Ich breakout that the UV simply can't handle. Tangs, as wonderful as they are, have to be handled with caution. My favorite is the Blue Tang, no wait, the Sohal Tang, no, the Desjardinii, oh heck, I like them all.

Jasonanatal
09-23-2007, 03:01 AM
Reinventing the Wheel or Should I Say My Aquarium

Recently I realized that the amount of total water volume within my Reef Aquarium was exceeding my equipments ability to service it as well as my pocket to afford it. So I have made some drastic changes to my setup to address problems that had risen and will go into some detail about them shortly. Here are a few photographs of my newly designed Reef Aquarium.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/Jasonanatal/90%20gallon%20Reef%20Aquarium/DigitalRebelPhotographs032.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/Jasonanatal/90%20gallon%20Reef%20Aquarium/DigitalRebelPhotographs033.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/Jasonanatal/90%20gallon%20Reef%20Aquarium/DigitalRebelPhotographs009.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/Jasonanatal/90%20gallon%20Reef%20Aquarium/DigitalRebelPhotographs011.jpg
Photograph - My Newly Designed 90 Gallon Reef Aquarium.

V
09-24-2007, 02:48 AM
Jay, you wally, you know better than that bud. Well you do now anyway, lol, aww i shouldn't laugh cause you just killed some wicked livestock you nong!
keep it real bud & you'll babe ruth it !:up: Note to self: this is a past tence wack over the back of the head lol

Jasonanatal
09-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Sometime Smaller Is Better or At Least I Think So

Well due to the financial cost that are associated with upkeeping a large aquarium and being able to purchase quality equipment that will attribute to a striving environment I am going to be scaling done my aquarium. to a 29 gallon reef ready (if I can find such a thing) or most likely a 29 gallon non-reef ready aquarium. I figure that even though their is a much smaller room for error that my attention to detail and quality equipment that I already possese will be enough to provide the environment that will be as rewarding to my fish and coral as it will be to myself. I'm going to search for some aquarium furniture and an aquarium today. I will keep everyone posted. :up:

V
09-30-2007, 08:12 AM
good luck bud, i ragged on ya before, but still got alot love for ya brother!
bigger isn't always better, sometimes it can get away from us without even realising it. Our quest for more surface area is almost never ending, but not if it can have a detrimental impact on our livestock & equally important - ourselves.

i wish you luck with your new venture, make your new cube special to you. So what if you can fill it after a big drinking session. all that matters is you look after your animals, if this is what you have to do to achieve that, you have 150% of my support & respect!