PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best all in one nano?

texasfootball21
09-08-2007, 11:49 PM
I was wondering what is everyones favorite all in one nano system.

For example tanks like the aquapod, nano cube, bio cube, ect.

Thanks.

Rob
09-09-2007, 12:37 AM
i think post people favor the nano cube and then the bio cube. the red sea max looks pretty cool also.
they all have there ups and downs... hopefully we will get more feedback soon

i think you will end up with a mix of answers and nothing solid.. unfortunately most people only have one kind and wont be able to provide much comparison. lets see what others have to offer.. :)

Larry Copperband
09-09-2007, 06:01 AM
I have a JBJ 24g Nano Cube that's a great tank.Just don't fall for the fake-o picture they use in advertising showing a green carpet anemone crammed into a 24g with PC lighting.
But I have had some luck with LPS with the deluxe PC lighting system.
The newest Nano JBJ offers looks awesome.

28g Nano Cube HQ1 (http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod_28g_nano.html)

One last thing...always consider getting the matching stand when purchasing a Nano.
I wouldn't say it's mandatory,but real close.

Phurst
09-09-2007, 09:16 AM
I have a JBJ Nano Cube 12 Deluxe that I don't have any complaints about. I don't have any experience with any of the other brands.

texasfootball21
09-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the comments.
Any one else have any recommendations/expiriences they can share?

texasfootball21
09-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Wow, the new nano cube looks awesome, but I bet it will cost quite a bit.
Will there be a PC version?
Any idea how much it will cost? A guess?

Thanks.

NaClFinatic
09-09-2007, 04:38 PM
I dont have any experience with any, but the MH fixture will definitley cost much more. There is Aquapod nanos with HQI options and they cost twice as much as the PC versions. But theses have an open top and the fixture has legs to set over the aquarium just like fixtures for large tanks. There might be some advantages such as limited heat buildup and better gas exchange with the open top. But also maybe increaded evaporation and if you have any jumpers...

Rob
09-09-2007, 04:40 PM
heat is another thing to keep in mind, i dont have one personally, but i know Seahorsedreams has stated many times that the heat in her PC version is problematic, im sure the MH version would be much worse. depending on the environment it might require the addition of on of those nano chillers

Larry Copperband
09-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Chances are when if comes time to evaluate the JBJ 28g HQI,it's gonna land in the "chiller recommended" catagory.

Seahorsedreams
09-09-2007, 05:46 PM
K, I have the 24 aquapod HQI, 12 gallon JBJ, 24 gallon JBJ with mods and the 28 gallon JBJ with HQIs.

They are all chiller canidates IMO. I have to open up the feeding lid during ceratin times of the summer and then I have to raise the entire lid and turn off the lamps on some days. But if you have the 28g HQI JBJ I assume your corals are light hungry and you can't raise the lid up.... and then you will have a problem without a chiller. You can't get away with the lid down and the lights on throughout the summer without getting a chiller.

texasfootball21
09-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks, this sight is great.

I think I'm leaning towards the aquapod 24 gallon. It is only $160 on Doctor Foster and Smith's website!
I love the lighting layout, and I think the filter layout looks decent.
It's a big decision I'm making because after this I probably won't be able to set up another tank for a while. If I do go through with this soon I will be sure to let you all know how I do.

Thanks and keep the comments coming.

CarmieJo
09-09-2007, 10:03 PM
I have a NanoCube 24 with the PC lighting and matching cabinet type stand. I like it quite a lot. It runs under 80* in our house with the AC set at 76*. It only has one cord so you can't use the moon lights if you have the light on a timer.

texasfootball21
09-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks!

I've been getting a lot of positive feed back on the nano cube, I never really even looked into it. I thought the aquapod would be the best choice. I'm going to check out the nano cube.

CarmieJo
09-09-2007, 11:32 PM
I'm sure that the manufactures would disagree but I don't think that there is really much difference between the brands. :)

V
09-09-2007, 11:55 PM
to answer your question, - mine!

:rotfl:

welcome to TR Tex, the others have your question covered

texasfootball21
09-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Haha nice.

Thanks for all tips.

More are welcome!

rroselavy
09-11-2007, 02:35 AM
I pretty much popped the top on my 24g Nanocube with 72w lighting since I had 4 degree temp swings.

I would recommend going "topless" with any of those cubes, and running a fan if you have 150w mh lighting.

I do not recommend a Nanocube if your going to need a chiller. You would be better off taking that tank+chiller money and buying a larger open top tank w/o heat issues.

With that said, I think Finnex and Cadlights are making more interesting glass tanks than the cubes with lids. Cadlights will even drill you some bulkheads if you think you are going to add a sump/refugium someday.

Tee-hee-hee! I vote for a 24"x16"x12" 20g AGA with a 4" DSB, HOB skimmer and Koralia flow. That way you have many 24" lighting options, and you could try your hand at drilling some bulkheads without too much risk.

-S

rroselavy
09-11-2007, 02:56 AM
Tee-hee-hee! I vote for a 24"x16"x12" 20g AGA with a 4" DSB, HOB skimmer and Koralia flow. That way you have many 24" lighting options, and you could try your hand at drilling some bulkheads without too much risk.

Even better-

A 40g AGA breeder (36"x15"x16"), with 12" of the end partitioned off as a DSB/Refugium. The remaining 24" becomes your DT.

-S

texasfootball21
09-11-2007, 07:37 AM
rroselavy,
thanks for the comment, great idea.

The only problem is that this will be much, much more expensive.

What lighting/skimmer were you thinking?

rroselavy
09-11-2007, 12:10 PM

This was an early idea for my current tank upgrade. It was a frameless AIO tank with 2-3 small black acrylic sump chambers acting as a divider between the DT and refugium. This would leave 27g in the DT and about 8g in the refugium. A small skimmer, such as a Sapphire Skimmer or a Tunze Nano Skimmer could fit into the compartments. The sump chambers could be fitted with a lid to help reduce pump noise. I was trying to design the divider strong enough that it could support a 24" light fixture on legs, but now I think I would have gone more modest and had a support arm to hold the fixture. The refugium would have a smaller light (probably 18") spanning the tank from front to back.

Replacing the frameless tank with an AGA 40g breeder (In California, Petco sells these for $40 once a year) and doing the divider as a DIY could save some $ on the tank.

The whole idea behind this tank was to alleviate some shortcomings of the current AIO designs (small refugiums, lack of lighting choices, among others), while providing a "Display Refugium" that would bring the fuge out of the stand and into plain view. Nurturing a more ornamental fuge may be quite interesting.

-Scott

CSUPUEBLOTIM
09-17-2007, 09:25 PM
I wish I had the money to buy all the available nanos and test them, but I don't. I have the JBJ 12G Deluxe and its a pretty nice tank. The cubes fit my living in a dorm room situation quite well. I think with what I know now, I want to build my own custom setup just to say I built it. But my vote is for the JBJ Nanocube.

Seahorsedreams
09-18-2007, 12:03 PM
I have 3 JBJs and I love them.

CarmieJo
09-18-2007, 10:02 PM
I was really impressed with finnex-web (http://www.finnex.net/newlayout/php/client/itemdetail.php?id=33) at MACNA. This tank comes with a skimmer and lighted fuge. While many of the tanks were looking pretty cloudy by Sunday this one still looked crystal clear.

Pescaiolo
09-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Thats a nice little set up! But that price tag is a big turn off!

I wish I could put in my 2 cents but I'm broke on this subject! :p

Pinecone_Jeff
09-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Hello!
I'm still considering an AIO vs. a standard tank/sump setup for my next nano and I'm glad Tex started this thread!

I'm just curious, of all your AIO owners, how long have you your tanks setp? Anyone run into problems after a year or two years? Any problems at startup?

Are there aspects to your AIOs that you'd like changed? If so, did you mod the changes?

Have any of you moded your AIOs to run with a sump. How about a chiller?

CarmieJo
09-24-2007, 04:37 PM
I've only had my NanoCube24 set up since June. I wish it was made with lid in the back as well as a front. If they did this it would be easy to leave the lid open and add some macro to one of the compartments with a light so it could function as a fuge. I also don't like how the whole hood opens up. It goes past 90* (probably necessary) and then the lid opens up and hits the wall behind the tank. I've learned to watch for this but it is a design flaw IMO.

reefgirl
11-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Red Sea Max looks nice... a little pricey, though. New nanocubes are an improvement but I wouldn't trust JBJ for anything.

Jasonanatal
12-24-2007, 04:09 AM
Texasfootball21, in all honesty to not side with a particular manufactur it honestly is dependant on what type of Aquarium you are intending on constructing and the specimens that you intend on keeping. You have to consider factors such as total water volumn, lighting requirements of Coral specimens should you be constructing a Reef Aquarium, Filtration efficiency and other categories that I won't bore you with. I personally choose the JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI since it allowed me to add some extra equipment with ease and contained a self contained Metal Halide HQI Lighting System with Moonlights since I'm determined to push the envelope and maintain SPS Coral specimens which I am currently having much success with.

TriggerHappyDude
02-27-2008, 01:49 PM
I was really impressed with finnex-web (http://www.finnex.net/newlayout/php/client/itemdetail.php?id=33) at MACNA. This tank comes with a skimmer and lighted fuge. While many of the tanks were looking pretty cloudy by Sunday this one still looked crystal clear.

CarmineJo,

Im a new to the hobby, and have been shopping around for the nano tanks, but saw your post here about this Finnex that has all the stuff people are adding to the nanos, built already in the tank, do you think these are "too much" tank for a beginner?

I love that its all built in, think they are a better buy than the JBJ Nano and Aquapods?

I can't tell the difference in the two $500+ models here: Aquarium Specialty (http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=298_367_368)

Or would the tanks that have the ATO built in be more important? Like these: Solana - Aquarium System | Current What's Next (http://www.current-usa.com/solana.html)

CarmieJo
03-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Hi TriggerHappyDude and :welcome: to TR.

On the contrary, I think that many beginners set themselves up for failure by not starting our with the things that can help them succeed. A nano tank is inherently more unstable than a bigger tank and things like skimmers and fuges add stability. The $599 tank has a 250 watt MH and the $549 one has a 150 watter.

I have not seen a Solana in person so I can't really comment on them. However, I have heard that many people elect to not use the stock ATO because it it too small. I would think with the open top you would evaporate at least a liter or two a day, especially if you were using MH. Going back to my stability comment I think that an ATO is a good addition whether is is built in or added on. (And adding one on is no more difficult than a bucket beside your tank.)

TriggerHappyDude
03-04-2008, 10:51 AM
CarmieJo,

I've been doing some more reading and research and I'm leaning towards, now, bigger tanks to start with, mainly because of the advice from people like you and my LFS, about the bigger tanks, more water, more stability, and my choice of fish I want to put in my tank.

So you'll be glad to hear, I'm leaning towards sizes like 70, 75, 90 gallons.

Now if I could only find my perfect tank!

CarmieJo
03-04-2008, 04:50 PM
I think this is a great idea! I really recommend you start with a drilled tank. A sump (besides addign water volume) is a great place to stash all the stuff you need but don't want to see!

I don't think there is any such thing as the perfect tank. :) I love my 54 corner because it is very dramatic looking but the shape limits the types of fish you can have.

TriggerHappyDude
03-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Yeah, I'm looking at regular rectangle shapes, just because I think I want some fish that swim a lot, and you are right, a corner would not be good for me...and those types of fish I like.

Pescaiolo
03-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the Finnex tanks? I want to get one but I am concerned about heat issues.

CarmieJo
03-05-2008, 02:03 AM
Clarence, I was impressed with what I saw at MACNA but I don't know anyone who has one personally.

den1303
03-23-2008, 07:54 AM
Hi

I am new to this site and got to say the information posted is excellent. I have a JBJ 12 gallon Nano and really enjoy the tank. I had no idea what I was getting into when I went to get a fishtank and came out with a science experiment. I had no idea what to do correctly or what questions to ask at the LFS to get the required information.

After a lot of of persistence and unfortunately killing off just about everything here is my tank. Any feedback or recommendations would be appreciated. The large devils hand in the front has been moved to the Red Sea Max we have.

cheers
Denise

CarmieJo
03-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Hi Denise,

Nice looking tank.
I had no idea what I was getting into when I went to get a fishtank and came out with a science experiment. This may be the best quote I have read concerning a reef tank!