PDA

View Full Version : What's eating my starfish?

RockDoc
09-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Hi all,
In my 29 gal bicube, every sand sifter star I put in gets its arms eaten off within two or three days. The other inhabitants are: 2 small maroons with an anemone, a pink Fairy Wrasse, an algae (lawnmower) blennie, a few blue-leg crabs, a couple snails, a yellow watchman gobie and a clump of Chaeto. Any ideas who the culprit might be? I'm preparing to move the specimens to our 210gal display, but I don't want all the stars in that tank to get eaten too.
Thanks! Jay

Pescaiolo
09-05-2007, 10:21 AM
What kind of snails do you have and what kind of Hermit crabs do you have? Where does the Liverock come from? There might be a hitchhiker in there that is taking them out. Also watch out for Crown Conch snails, they like to eat starfish and clams! I learned the hard way hehe.

RockDoc
09-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the reply. The snails are Astrea, and the hermits crabs are the blue-legged ones. My big tank has only red-legged crabs. The liverock is part Figi and part Tonga. We have a 1 inch bristle worm in the rocks which we see occasionally. No crown conchs.
Jay

Pescaiolo
09-05-2007, 11:18 AM
There could be a hitchhiker that comes out when the lights are off and taking them out. I recommend you do some research and see what predators the starfish has. Keep a watchful eye on the tank and be prepared to do some "nighttime" viewing. Good luck and let us know what you find! :)

wwest
09-05-2007, 12:20 PM
How are you acclimating the stars? When stars simular to SS tend to fall apart and start with there arms.

CarmieJo
09-06-2007, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the reply. The snails are Astrea, and the hermits crabs are the blue-legged ones. My big tank has only red-legged crabs. The liverock is part Figi and part Tonga. We have a 1 inch bristle worm in the rocks which we see occasionally. No crown conchs.
Jay
These critters are not going to eat a starfish unless it is already dead/dying. You could have an unidentified hitch hiker or it be a water quality or acclimation issue.

RockDoc
09-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Thanks Carmie. I plan to do some night viewing (got my red flashlight) and see if I can identify any predators. Water quality is fine and acclimation I'm sure is OK too. If I see anything I'll keep everyone posted.
Jay

wwest
09-06-2007, 09:33 AM
How did you acclimate?

lReef lKeeper
09-06-2007, 05:40 PM
How did you acclimate?

i want to know too. it sounds to me like an acclimation issue or water quality issue.

saxman
09-06-2007, 11:17 PM
barring a hithiker, besides the acclimation question, i'd blame the hermits. sounds like you have too many if you have more than 2 or 3, and they're probably starving unless you feed them specifically.

additionally, a 29 is way too small to support a sandsifter, and if the tank isn't well mature (at least 6 mos to a year old), there's not enuff food in the substrate to suport it. you should have at LEAST one square foot of open substrate for the star, but even that is too little IMHO.