Read original Announcement here
http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/announcement.php?f=8

Please feel free to add comments or questions here

Phurst
09-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

lReef lKeeper
09-04-2007, 10:18 PM
lReef lKeeper, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

this is the message that i get when i click the link ... hmmm

PSH
09-05-2007, 07:59 AM
lReef lKeeper, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

this is the message that i get when i click the link ... hmmm

I get the same thing.

Phurst
09-05-2007, 08:02 AM
I do too now, but I could get in fine before.

3vilPuffin
09-06-2007, 01:22 AM
I get the gist of it although no offense i think some of the reasons are illogical like if you want to correct something the files are on my computer its not like they can just be removed or corrected by you... I feel personally that one this would promote awareness and plus I would like to add that If the podcast required money I would not have created the torrent. And i would like to point out i thought the main point of talkingreef was to spread the information to help and aid marine keepers everywhere and isnt that what the torrent is doing.

3vilPuffin
09-06-2007, 01:32 AM
I would also like to add i stopped seeding but its still up on the website i upped it so it should fade out and i would also like to add i am only doing this cause of how wonderful my experience with site has been up to this point although i disagree on this matter to some extent, it just doesn't click I'm sorry rob it just doesn't. but thanks for what you have done. I have agreed with what you wanted as such i ask you understand my view of the situation as well

saleaqua
09-06-2007, 08:46 AM
ok Rob, i understand what your saying and i appreciate your concerns, i just wanted you to understand the individuals who were trying to 'redistribute' the podcasts were doing so because i was unable to dowload the podcasts.

i have had this problem for a month or so, and i have been waiting patiently and nothing has changed.

due to you not wanting the torrents being operational, im still at the same problem i have started at, which is im unable to download and listen to your podcast.

i am begging that something be done so i can get these files. i would realy realy love to listen to them.

Kind Regards
SaleAqua- a newby reefer from australia

Rob
09-06-2007, 04:35 PM
sorry guys, the link in the post was wrong, i have corrected it

Rob
09-06-2007, 04:41 PM
I get the gist of it although no offense i think some of the reasons are illogical like if you want to correct something the files are on my computer its not like they can just be removed or corrected by you...
what i meant was to correct the source file on the server so "inaccurate" version can no longer be distributed.

I feel personally that one this would promote awareness and plus I would like to add that If the podcast required money I would not have created the torrent. And i would like to point out i thought the main point of talkingreef was to spread the information to help and aid marine keepers everywhere and isn't that what the torrent is doing.
like i noted before, i TOTALLY understand your point, and i don't disagree that the torrent would accomplish the goals of spreading awareness and information. the problem i have is that i cant control the source files. once i start the initial seed its basically out of my control.
regarding the comment of the podcasts "requiring money", im not sure what you mean here, so i will refrain from comment

Rob
09-06-2007, 04:43 PM
ok Rob, i understand what your saying and i appreciate your concerns, i just wanted you to understand the individuals who were trying to 'redistribute' the podcasts were doing so because i was unable to dowload the podcasts.

i have had this problem for a month or so, and i have been waiting patiently and nothing has changed.

due to you not wanting the torrents being operational, im still at the same problem i have started at, which is im unable to download and listen to your podcast.

i am begging that something be done so i can get these files. i would realy realy love to listen to them.

Kind Regards
SaleAqua- a newby reefer from australia

you bring up some great points here and i totally eel the pain, trust me, i have been the one having to jump in and restart the darn servers all the time.
what i can say is that i do have plans to replace the server that hosts the podcasts. there are a few major changed coming in the next few months, and that is one of them

Rob
09-06-2007, 04:53 PM
I would also like to add i stopped seeding but its still up on the website i upped it so it should fade out and i would also like to add i am only doing this cause of how wonderful my experience with site has been up to this point although i disagree on this matter to some extent, it just doesn't click I'm sorry rob it just doesn't. but thanks for what you have done. I have agreed with what you wanted as such i ask you understand my view of the situation as well

Thank you for complying with the first part regarding the Torrent, but you also must comply with removing the files from your website, the only thing you are allowed to post are links to the files.
please don't take this as an attack, i must enforce the rules.
i am not sure how to put this politely, i really dont want to upset you or anyone else, but the fact is the content is owned by Talkingreef, and you must comply with the rules regardless of how you feel or your opinions about them. i must insist that you do not host them and announce them as publicly available.

believe me i understand you think its in the best interest to spread the word, i totally agree, however you are better to spread it by word-of-mouth, and telling people, or linking to our site, not by taking the files and hosting or distributing them as you see fit.

I know 90% (maybe more) of this is really caused by the download problems over the last few months, believe me i understand this TOTALLY, and while i feel the pain, and understand that the quality of the listener experience is suffering because of this, i still cant allow the torrents. what i can do is what im working on, and thats to replace the podcast server with something more stable, which as i have already noted is underway

Phurst
09-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Forgive my butting in here, but I think I can clear up a couple of things.

regarding the comment of the podcasts "requiring money", im not sure what you mean here, so i will refrain from comment

I think he meant that he would not have created the torrent if there had been say, a subscription fee for the TR podcast instead of it being free.

Thank you for complying with the first part regarding the Torrent, but you also must comply with removing the files from your website, the only thing you are allowed to post are links to the files.
please don't take this as an attack, i must enforce the rules.
i am not sure how to put this politely, i really dont want to upset you or anyone else, but the fact is the content is owned by Talkingreef, and you must comply with the rules regardless of how you feel or your opinions about them. i must insist that you do not host them and announce them as publicly available.

I believe he is refering to the fact that the actual ".torrent" file is still available on the tracker site. Since no
one is seeding the torrent, it doesn't matter if anyone downloads it. I don't believe 3vilpuffin owns the tracker, so he'll have to wait for it to expire on it's own.

Rob
09-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Forgive my butting in here, but I think I can clear up a couple of things.

I think he meant that he would not have created the torrent if there had been say, a subscription fee for the TR podcast instead of it being free.

I believe he is refering to the fact that the actual ".torrent" file is still available on the tracker site. Since no
one is seeding the torrent, it doesn't matter if anyone downloads it. I don't believe 3vilpuffin owns the tracker, so he'll have to wait for it to expire on it's own.
thank you for clarifying for me...
so yes, if he has done what he can to remove them then i am satisfied.. :)

regarding the pay for use, i now understand thanks.

V
09-07-2007, 08:21 PM
arr the sweet smell of the new millenium. wow, you lot have been busy. Do i get a free coke & a smile with that?

Rob
09-07-2007, 08:33 PM
arr the sweet smell of the new millenium. wow, you lot have been busy. Do i get a free coke & a smile with that?
you keep with the good attitude and hide the bad works, then sit up on a large rock, and spit out the good advice and you can have 2 cokes and a smile with that.. ;)

V
09-07-2007, 08:45 PM
intrinsicly cryptic responce:huh: I needed to drink my first pre-lunchtime beer just to understand that @ first rob...lol

Rob
09-08-2007, 12:07 AM
yeah, sry bout that. i guess i have spent too much time reading your posts.. figured it was time to give some of that cryptic shtuff back atcha.. :D

V
09-10-2007, 12:04 AM
easy tiger:up:

3vilPuffin
09-10-2007, 12:43 AM
Rob
srry i havent been on much with college (8 hours of bio and chem fun but alot of work) and on top of that im not even close to an english major as a bio major with adhd so excuse any sp. or if you dont understand what i say. I try to read over like 3 or 4 times before posting but alot of time it does not help.

And yes to make it clear a torrent file is active until everyone stops seeding and it should fade out as i thought me and phurst were the only ones seeding... and phurst mininova seed count isnt that reliable.

Although talkingreef is !@@##$ awesome it might explode lol.

Rob
09-10-2007, 01:01 AM
hey bud, no problem, i dont think it was your typing, just that i didnt fully get what you meant...
as for the torrent, its all good... you respected my wishes and did what you could, thats all i could ask for.

i am typing around with the idea of using uploading the videos to YouTube or Google Video and them embedding them into the posts.. this way i can manage them and get an idea of the amount of times played

JustDavidP
09-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Pwease...can I keep my copies of the unedited versions of the "Adventures of Dave and Gustavo"? What you all DON'T see.. is some of the best footage ;)

Hey Rob.. good job controlling the server issues, redist issues etc. You've become smarter in yer old age ;)

D