PDA

View Full Version : So SAD !! :(

pammy
08-27-2007, 08:41 PM
I came home tonight to find my one of my Percula Clown Fish, almost completely in the mouth of my Aussie Duncan. This Duncan is only a little larger then a quarter in diameter. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't tell if he was dead or alive, but thought he was dead. Took a quick pic, in case he was still alive, then pulled the coral out and the coral spit him out. Poor little guy was dead. So....how the heck do you think this happened? I've only had the clown for about 2 weeks.
He was the smaller of the pair. I suppose he could have been curious with this coral as a host, but I haven't seen him go near any corals. The larger female has been loving a smaller hammer, but I haven't seen the small one near any corals.
Or, I suppose the female could have killed the male and the coral just caught himself a big snack. This female did badger the first male I brought home and he died within a couple hours. (LFS bagged the two in the same bag, and when I got them home, I found her attacking him). I haven't seen her do anything more than chase this new clown occassionally. I was so sad for this guy. Any best guesses on what might have happened? I can't imagine this Duncan just caught the clown swimming by. Pam
http://www.homebasedbusiness-usa.com/Poor Clown - Jerry2.jpg

CarmieJo
08-27-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't know why but I wanted you to know I am sorry to hear of this bad luck. :(

lReef lKeeper
08-27-2007, 09:20 PM
i am sure that the clown tried to host in it. it DOES look a lot like an anemone.

pammy
08-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Any idea if clowns seem happier alone, or in a pair? This is the second clown I've lost in the past 3 weeks. The first one was killed by the female, and the second one, the coral. Wondering if I should try a 3rd clown or leave the female by herself. Do your clown pairs usually hang out together all the time? This pair would swim together occassionally, but not all the time, but they were only together for about 2 weeks, so that might have been too soon.

Thanks.
Pam

Seahorsedreams
08-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Oh I'm so sorry! I bet something was going on with your clown and it was in a weakened state or dying before the coral got a hold of him. Where did you find a Duncan BTW.

tim
08-27-2007, 09:59 PM
so sorry. IMO clowns do better if mated, but will be ok alone too.

pammy
08-28-2007, 05:53 AM
Hi Renee

I bought the Duncan from another Reefer (Chief from SubHub.com).
It's an awesome looking coral ! I love it. I bought it with one head about two months ago, and now it has 5 or 6 heads. When it gets larger, I might frag it and trade or sell some of the heads. I want it to get larger for my tank first though.

bye
Pam

Oh I'm so sorry! I bet something was going on with your clown and it was in a weakened state or dying before the coral got a hold of him. Where did you find a Duncan BTW.

Seahorsedreams
08-28-2007, 09:51 AM
It's one cool looking coral and hard to find. I really am betting he didn't just up and eat the clown though... there had to be something else going on.

Put me on the Frag list. Everyone else... *points behind herself* ..... the line starts back there for y'all.

pammy
08-28-2007, 10:36 AM
LOL Renee. Ok, I've officially started a frag waiting list and added you as number 1! It's one of my favorite two corals. This one, and my new Sun Coral. :) And I do think you're probably right about the clown. Maybe he was getting sick and went to rest on the coral. I hadn't seen him showing any interest at all in hosting any corals, so this was a shocker to come home too. So sad too because his little face was sticking out and looking at me. :(
Poor guy. Wish I was home right when it happened and I could have saved him. So wonder if these kinds of things happen more often? That would sure explain a lot of fish that completely go missing never to be found again.
Pam

It's one cool looking coral and hard to find. I really am betting he didn't just up and eat the clown though... there had to be something else going on.

Put me on the Frag list. Everyone else... *points behind herself* ..... the line starts back there for y'all.

lReef lKeeper
08-28-2007, 05:01 PM
i'll take the spot right behind Renee !! i have some cool stuff to trade.

pammy
08-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Alrighty Bobby! You're #2 ! Who would have thought I'd have something people want to trade with, before I'm even ready to frag it !! Cool!
Pam

pammy
12-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Hi Renee and Bobby. Were you two still interesting in trading something for a head from my Aussie Duncan? I bought one head about 6 months ago, and it's now 7 large heads, so I'm ready to frag it and trade a head for something.....either a LPS or an easy SPS. I paid $40 for the one head, and I've seen them sell for as high as $75 per head. Let me know if you are still interested. Here's a picture I took last month. The Aussie Duncan is the coral on the far right. I took some nice macro pictures last night and I will post one here later tonight. I will post the pics in the trade area in a day or two, but I wanted to give you two first dibs since you were the first ones that asked. I'm in Nashua. Where do you live? Thanks. Pam
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa157/matsis1234/Tank-11-6-07001.jpg?t=1197371611

lReef lKeeper
12-11-2007, 10:20 AM
i will have to pass this time ... i am in the process of switching over to 100% SPS, sorry.

Phurst
12-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Nice looking duncan. I just picked one up this past weekend.

CarmieJo
12-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Hi Pam,

Your tank it looking really vibrant!

rroselavy
12-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Hmmm... I can't see the pic...

pammy
12-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Here's a picture of the duncan when he ate the clown, and a picture I took a day or two ago.
Pam

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa157/matsis1234/PoorClown-Jerry2.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa157/matsis1234/AussieDuncan12-11-072.jpg