PDA

View Full Version : AquaC Remora on a nano

rmulet
03-04-2006, 01:40 AM
Hi all,
I currently have a 2 year old, 15 gallon that is going through a green hair algae problem. I have mostly softies and 2 clowns. I do weekly 10% water changes and my parameters are all normal. I admit that I was over feeding and needed to change my lights(PC's).
I want to add a skimmer and found someone willing to sell me an AquaC Remora with a MJ1200 for a reasonable price. I eventually want to get a larger tank when we move next year. Would it be overkill to use the Remora on the 15 gal, which I still plan on buying for the larger tank, or use something smaller for now? If going smaller, what do you recommend?
Thanks!

gwen_o_lyn
03-04-2006, 01:54 AM
Welcome to TR ;)

I do recommend this skimmer- from my research it seems to be the best HOB skimmer. You may wanna get the bubble trap too since that is a huge problem for me at the moment.

I run this skimmer on a 12g. I prolly wouldn't use this skimmer on something over 50g though- would prolly get something better that goes into the sump. Not sure how large you wanted to go when you do upgrade.

rmulet
03-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks so much for your reply. I've decided on using the Remora.

gwen_o_lyn
03-04-2006, 05:29 PM
I think you will like it, just consider maybe getting the bubble trap- I dont have it yet, but might be buying that soon. I hear it takes up a lot of space though- so many do your own research on it.

Just be careful what you dose or add to the tank- ie epoxy is gonna create a bubble nightmare ;)

Jimm
03-04-2006, 05:32 PM
I love my Remora. I hate the skimmer box though. It's a big pain if you ask me. It's mounted with two nylon screws to the pump for the skimmer. The pump hangs from the body of the skimmer by a hose. So the added weight of the skimmer box causes it to hang crooked, making the skimmer worthless as a bubble-trap because that side hangs lower and the water flows over the side. Then you have the typical micro-bubbles in your display. Additionally the screws that mount the thing are plastic so Coraline algae likes it. That makes adjusting it a problem when the screws are encrusted in coraline.

If you can figure out another way of mounting the skimmer box then it should work fine. In a nano that is shallow you may be able to sit it on the bottom of the tank.

rmulet
03-05-2006, 12:27 AM
I think you will like it, just consider maybe getting the bubble trap- I dont have it yet, but might be buying that soon. I hear it takes up a lot of space though- so many do your own research on it.

Just be careful what you dose or add to the tank- ie epoxy is gonna create a bubble nightmare ;)

You've read my mind! I was looking to measure for the bubble trap and order it if it looked good. I think if I can't use it for this tank it should fit for when I upgrade. I won't know what size though until I move next year (hopefully). I will keep you posted and hopefully post some pix in the near future!

rmulet
03-05-2006, 12:40 AM
If you can figure out another way of mounting the skimmer box then it should work fine. In a nano that is shallow you may be able to sit it on the bottom of the tank.

Hey Jimm, I'll let you know how I mount the skimmer box. Once I get it next week I'll know for sure how it works and stuff. Can't wait! :D Thanks for the input!

rmulet
03-13-2006, 01:28 AM
I got my Remora with the bubble trap and everything fit very nicely! I think it will take a while for it to start producing any skimmate. Yay!!!! Can't wait!

gwen_o_lyn
03-13-2006, 01:39 AM
Congrats! Let me know how you like the bubble trap - I'd like to see a pic of it all hooked up inside the tank too. I'm still thinking about buying one.
I'm just now starting to get good skimmate after it's been running 2 months.

Need a noise fix? Take the skimmer cup off, fold a paper towel and fit it over that left chamber part and it's much quieter.

rmulet
03-13-2006, 09:43 PM
I will try to take pictures of it the following weekend, if time permits.
I figured it would take a while for it to produce any skimmate because I had my hands in there adjusting stuff and cleaning out the hair algae. What a mess I tell ya!
Thanks for the paper towel trick! It really reduced the noise by half. I honestly thought the skimmer would be louder than what it is now. The tank is in the livingroom and I love to listen to music and stuff so that would have been an issue. But no problems so far.

gwen_o_lyn
03-14-2006, 02:11 AM
Yeah that paper towel trick is amazing!
Blow your rocks at least twice a day with a turkey baster or PH to get the detritus in the water column- that seems to be helping me a lot. Hope the skimmer works out good for you, but do give it some time before it starts working.