PDA

View Full Version : Zoanthids 101-Do's, and Don'ts

Small Fry
08-24-2007, 12:39 AM
The main goal of this thread is to basically create an online handbook of what to do, and what not to do with Zoanthid/Palythoa.

To make this thread grow, simply offer up a piece of advice, or a tip that you have learned along your journey of keeping zoas/palys.

As well, since life is a two-way street, others are encouraged to comment and critique others' comments and tips.

I'll start off with the NUMBER ONE ZOA KEEPING RULE!!!

!!!ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTION!!!

Some of you may have learned this already through experience, or a podcast of robs,

But the gist of it is that zoas and palythoas contain a terribly potent toxin called "palytoxin" (see here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palytoxin)). It should also be noted that this toxin is much more prevalent in palythoas than in zoanthids.

- gloves and eye protection are a must when working with zoas, especially when fragging
- wash hands thoroughly afterwards
- zoas tend to squirt when handled (especially the more plump PE species, Z. Gigantus), so keep your mouth shut, and protect all open cuts or wounds (hence, the need for eye protection!)

Hope this will become the first in a long line of posts, hopefully containing most needed knowledge about Zoanthids and Palythoas.

I will of course continue to post to beef of the thread, but i know there are some reefers, as well as trusted LFS owners that have seen it all and have enough knowledge to fill a couple of books, so hope to see ya share it.

Happy reefing.

Small Fry
08-24-2007, 12:42 AM
This is a post i found on RC, that has been circulating around to various reef sites. Originally made by Zoanthid guru and pioneer, MUCHO REEF. Hope you enjoy and learn

25 Reasons why your polyps won't expand.

1. You have a zoanthid eating worm.

2. Sundial snails. ( I've experienced this )

3. A fish that is nipping at them, there are several well documented cases of this. ( I've experienced this )

4. An invert doing the same. ( I've experienced this )

5. Unstable or fluctuating parameters.

6. Large Emerald Crabs or a Sally Lightfoot. Both can and will
consume, kill and cause polyp retraction. ( I've experienced this )

7. Sea Spiders. ( I've experienced this )

8. If shipped, the water was much too cold and you placed it directly into your tank without slowly drip acclimating them. Or, the inverse, the water was too warm.

9. Nudibranchs ( I've experienced this )

10. Stray Voltage. ( I've experienced this )

11. Excessively high Iodine which would prove fatal.

12. Light shock

13. Polyps that were kept in PC or VHOs and then placed mid to high level under MH's without light acclimating them. Possible burning could also occur.

or

Polyps that were in maybe dual 175 SE MH and then placed mid to high under 400 watt DE MH , will cause possible burning or a delayed expansion.

14. Other stinging corals.

15. Chemical warfare.

16. Overpowering current. ( I've experienced this )

17. Excessive collection of sediment. See post 1 and 6 in the link below.

http://www.michiganreefers.com/foru...highlight=Mucho

18. Nuisance algae around the polyps which will irritate them and prevent them from expanding. ( I've experienced this )

19. Temperamental, yes, they are, there may be nothing at all wrong, that simply don’t want to expand for that day.

20. Fungus

21. Bacterial infection. ( I've experienced this )

22. White lesions also referred to as Zoa Pox. ( I've experienced this )

23. Amphipods, which I have only witnessed eating sick, dead, dying, decaying polyps. Doesn’t mean they won’t eat perfectly healthy ones, I just haven’t witnessed it, some have.

24. Extreme hypo or hyper salinity

25. And the final reason may not be any of the reasons above. Why? Periodically, polyps will retract from days to 10 to 14 days, during which they will clean themselves externally. Then without any advanced notice, they will unfold like a flower or a summer’s morning.

Mucho Reef

PS. There are proactive measures that one can take to prevent or greatly reduce your chances of experiencing the above. Most notably...

1. Dipping
2. Close inspection
3. Quarantine your new purchases
4. Educating yourself on what to look for and recognize. I think a lack of knowledge is the one major contributors to most unfortunate experiences in reefing.

CarmieJo
08-24-2007, 12:58 AM
Here is an article. Reefreaders - Zoanthids (http://www.reefreaders.com/content/view/38/1/) that has good basic info.

Small Fry
08-24-2007, 01:07 AM
Wow, this gwen and the author seem to know alot :)

Great link, thats exactly what i'm looking for :D

CarmieJo
08-24-2007, 02:27 AM
We aim to please. :D

lReef lKeeper
08-24-2007, 07:45 AM
this is for the new guys reading this thread ...
pretty much anything you want to know about zoanthids can be found here ..

ZoaID.com! :: The definitive repository for named Zoanthids! (http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&func=main)